Just a few questions regarding a tune

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
denty95
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Just a few questions regarding a tune

Post by denty95 »

I have a Ka-t that I just finished assembling. Build specs are
Ka bored .40 over
Cosmetic head gasket
Arp head studs
Arp rod bolts
Brian crower rods
Arias 8.8 pistons
Acl bearings
Cx racing forward mount manifold
Garrett gt35r twin scroll
800cc injectors

My question is, I want to run 20lbs of boost, will the aem fic be able to keep up or should I sell it and get a full standalone?
jaysol92
240sx Wannabe

Post by jaysol92 »

20-25 psi on a 35r can net some serious power, if your block is modded id say standalone so you can get more out of your setup. Hope this helps.
2FAS240
240sx Wannabe

Post by 2FAS240 »

I ran a similar setup last year and i would say get a standalone you will end up with a much safer tune in the end.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

With a nice turbo such as the twin scroll GT35R you have picked out, I wouldn't skimp on and buy a sub $200 exhaust manifold.

As far as standalone - in my opinion it's well worth it especially once you're investing in the idea of over 400hp. Megasquirt has some great support here locally on the board and can do anything that the AEM and Haltech can do. You could also check out Nismotronic but I'm pretty sure that's a sort of piggy back ECU like Nistune (I may be wrong).
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
OnTheChip
240sx Wannabe

Post by OnTheChip »

airman wrote:With a nice turbo such as the twin scroll GT35R you have picked out, I wouldn't skimp on and buy a sub $200 exhaust manifold.

As far as standalone - in my opinion it's well worth it especially once you're investing in the idea of over 400hp. Megasquirt has some great support here locally on the board and can do anything that the AEM and Haltech can do. You could also check out Nismotronic but I'm pretty sure that's a sort of piggy back ECU like Nistune (I may be wrong).
Thanks for mentioning Nismotronic!
Nismotronic isn't a piggy-back, it's a stock ECU with real-time programmable (tuning) and data logging system based on an installed daughter-board. What makes NismotronicSA different is that with the TunerCodeSA firmware (included) running the ECU, and the NismotronicSA software running on your laptop, it gives a stock ECU the same functionality as a stand-alone system, including MAF to MAP (speed-density) tuning.
NismotronicSA features.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Such high goals should NOT be skimped in the tuning area.

The AEM FIC is not going to be good enough to honor your parts. Get the AEM EMS, megasquirt, haltech, autronic, etc... I wouldn't do a Nistune since with MAFS you won't really want to go over 20psi, but I can bet you that once you hit 20 psi, you will want to hit 25psi and then 30.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

^ Definitely pay attention to what 8bit says. I didn't notice that you had listed an AEM FIC in your parts list.

Nonono! :)
OnTheChip wrote:Thanks for mentioning Nismotronic!
Haha no problem, I know it's an option but having never owned one I don't have any testimonies about it :)
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
denty95

Post by denty95 »

Well the cx racing manifold is one of the only ones that mounts the turbo in the front of the motor. It's actually very nice and was more than $200
denty95

Post by denty95 »

8bit, or anyone else, what kind of hp numbers do you think im capable of with this setup?
jaysol92
240sx Wannabe

Post by jaysol92 »

on what kind of fuel?
denty95

Re: Just a few questions regarding a tune

Post by denty95 »

93 octane for daily.
when i take it to tx2k im going to use c16 and get a retune
96 s14
arias 8.8 pistons, brian crower rods, acl bearings, brian crower stage 2 cams, cx racing front mount turbo manifold, gt35r, 850cc injectors, apexi dual n1, greddy profec-II, xcessive intake, AEM EMS, cometic hg.
denty95

Post by denty95 »

heres a picture of the motor in question
96 s14
arias 8.8 pistons, brian crower rods, acl bearings, brian crower stage 2 cams, cx racing front mount turbo manifold, gt35r, 850cc injectors, apexi dual n1, greddy profec-II, xcessive intake, AEM EMS, cometic hg.
jaysol92
240sx Wannabe

Post by jaysol92 »

denty95 wrote:93 octane for daily.
when i take it to tx2k im going to use c16 and get a retune
Nice man engine is clean . Make sure you keep us posted on your progress =)
KA-T S12
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by KA-T S12 »

^ agreed. Can't see anything that I don't like there. Keep it up 8)
denty95

Post by denty95 »

thanks guys. i definately will. i moved the car around today and finished prepping the engine bay for the motor. should be any day now
96 s14
denty95

Post by denty95 »

okay so I need a bov and wastegate. was looking at the tial 38mm wastegate and an hks bov. was going to help out some ka-t members but I cant view the sale adds... lame. anyone have any suggestions on other bov and wastegates?
96 s14
Grant

Re:

Post by Grant »

denty95 wrote:8bit, or anyone else, what kind of hp numbers do you think im capable of with this setup?

im guessing anywhere 350/400 range.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

check this out

viewforum.php?f=3
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
denty95

Post by denty95 »

I didn't see any with a gt35r..
96 s14
jaysol92
240sx Wannabe

Post by jaysol92 »

I know the Tial Q 50mm bov is amazing for the price, and a Tial 38mm wastegate should be fine for your setup. Tial makes great products.
denty95

Post by denty95 »

Yeah I bought a fully polished tial 38mm wastegate and I'm looking at an Hks super ssqv 4
96 s14
denty95

Post by denty95 »

I got my bov and AEM in the mail, so in went the motor tonight. Its a tight fit, but im going to make it work.
96 s14
denty95

Post by denty95 »

where does everyone put their gauges? I see people use the steering wheel pod but I have 3 gauges and id rather not split them up.
96 s14
mmmS13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mmmS13 »

denty95 wrote:where does everyone put their gauges? I see people use the steering wheel pod but I have 3 gauges and id rather not split them up.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/chat/93275-pict ... etups.html

That thread should get you some ideas of where you could put them. Personally I have mine right above the steering wheel (wideband + boost gauge) it doesn't really block sight of the tach or anything but sometimes I wish I would have put them where the radio is. (I stare at my wideband constantly and give myself the "heebie-jeebies" of being lean when not in boost lol)
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
denty95

Post by denty95 »

Thanks I didn't even see that thread. I have 3 gauges so I'd like to keep them together
96 s14
denty95

Post by denty95 »

Here's what I ended up doing, no a/c, so I cut the vents out.
Attachments
image.jpg
96 s14
denty95

Post by denty95 »

I decided I was tired of wiring last night, so I welded my core support back in and out my fenders and hood back on, anyone else's turbo not clear the hood? :/
Attachments
image.jpg
96 s14
denty95

Post by denty95 »

thanks man I appreciate it. heres how it sits as of tonight. tomorrow I have to make a faceplate for my gauges and put my bride reps in.
96 s14
Grant

Post by Grant »

nice progress man
denty95

Post by denty95 »

Thanks. I have to pull the valve cover and stuff to put my new bc stage 2 Cams in.
96 s14