Coil On Plug Conversion for Stock ECU

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Coil On Plug Conversion for Stock ECU

Post by p00t »

Hello all, life's been busy and I haven't been on here in a while. I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this. I am considering making this for the KA and SR community if there is interest.

I started this project a while ago and this summer I finally took the time to wire it into my car and start using it. It's going on the g20 too very soon, likely the end of the month.

Currently I have it running LSX coils, but it can run almost anything. I thought of this as an upgrade + tuning tool so it has adjustable timing. However, a lot of people don't need this function and it is rather easy to damage an engine by not taking the proper precautions. It has a display as well which cycles through timing, rpm, and voltage. But in the end I am thinking most people just want a plug and play little box that will give them COP (and be cheaper $$$$).

It is able to run straight dwell for coils like the LS1, LS2, and various pencil type coils. It can come pre-loaded with dwell maps which allows it to use coils like the LSX. You can even go big-baller status and run IGN-1A. (edit: I removed "stock coils" because the stock transistors run on a 12v signal, which this doesn't do (yet!).)

It works on any single coil DOHC Nissan (as far as I know). SOHC, I will need to have someone be the guinea pig. :teasing-poke:

Thoughts? :text-feedback:

Displaying voltage. Extra wires are a debugging header, won't be on other versions.
Voltage vs Apexi Timer voltage reading.
Last edited by p00t on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
hotbox240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Coil On Plug Conversion for Stock ECU

Post by hotbox240 »

Very cool. What would this setup cost? Could it be integrated into a plug and play ecu like nismotronic or megasquirt?
12.43 @ 115.06 - 05/2010
12.28 @ 117.61 - 08/2016
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Not sure on cost. Winging it... $100 if I had to assemble the parts and basic harness. I would have to look into how much can be manufactured before hand. It would be nice to find a cheaper solution and offer mounting brackets and full harnesses to make it more plug and play.

Yes it would work with any ECU, stock, daughterboard, or Nismotronic.

Megasquirt, no, you already have COP options with that!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I like this idea a lot, as I want COP but am having trouble justifying the cost of something like Nismotronic or Megasquirt. I have both LS2 AND VQ coils sitting in a box somewhere too.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

Subscribed!
Steve.
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

I was following your work for awhile on the SR forum. Glad to see the finished product!
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Alonso,

This is the first time I am openly advertising this so you may be talking about another persons project. That one is by ebinkered.

As I have witnessed news travels fast... creepy fast even.

Anyway, the design differences are that my design is driven entirely by prediction of when the ignition event occurs, so you can set any size dwell. The other design requires that the ECU sets the dwell. Which is fine for any dwell size that is less than the stock coil.

The main concern points are: 1. Charge time for the coil, and 2. Ignition time where the spark is "live" and able to ignite the fuel-air mixture.

Our stock coil has to eat into dwell time(1) to assure that there is adequate ignition time (2). OK at low RPM, but high RPM the dwell is decreased with engine speed. It has one channel to work with.

So it depends on your needs/setup.

I'm sure that design is cheaper in that it is discrete components mostly. Mine is 100% software driven. Maybe my design only resonates with power users (tuners)? That's why I want feedback :werd:
hotbox240

Post by hotbox240 »

I'd be interested in trying it out. I can do COP ignition with nismotronic but I would have to trade over to an SR ecu. Alonso I believe made it work.
12.43 @ 115.06 - 05/2010
12.28 @ 117.61 - 08/2016
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

Sorry for the confusion. It's been awhile since been over there to check out their progress. I just assumed it was the same person.

Yes, the cop conversion works beautifully. In fact, it worked so well, that I cracked a ring land pushing 20psi on pump gas with oem pistons. Not once did I experience any spark blow out with plug gap set at .044!
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Built a couple. The text will look better on future ones I do, I bought the wrong case front for these. It's textured so the print is a pain to put on.

Selectable modes:
-> Diagnostics (cam/crank/ignition signal)
-> Timing mode (fixed timing to check that coils are firing correctly versus timing light, or setting your distributor timing)
-> LS2/7/Truck Coils (mapped dwell table for D585 & D514 GM Coils)
-> LS1/6 Coils (mapped dwell table for D577 GM Coils)
-> 1-15ms Dwell (Straight dwell, no voltage compensation)
-> 1-15ms Dwell (0.4-1ms/Volt Linear Compensation)

This is only for +5v logic coils. I can add more preset coil configurations in the future. I have been impressed by the GM coils so far so I find them hard to beat, especially on price. For GM coils you can usually buy 8 for $90-100 used and you get all the connectors. After that you will just need the spark plug cables. I may offer a mounting solution if there is enough interest but I don't want to get ahead of myself here.

If anyone is interested the COP converters will be $125 shipped. They are all built by hand and will include a shielded heat/flex rated harness.

I will want to run it on my car for another month before I let it into the wild. Don't you wish this was available 10 years ago? Because I do!
Last edited by p00t on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomad
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Nomad »

Nice!
Can you confirm it works on a SOHC, as per your first post?
Though I would have to change my stock "coil-in-distributor" setup, of course.
Would you be willing to ship to Australia?
1995 D21 Navara Dual Cab
Socketed U12 ECU
Tuned ROM/NVSRAM
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I have no problem shipping to other countries. I looked briefly at Aussie regulations today and I don't think there is any issue shipping there.

I do have SOHC crank sensors but no ECU. From looking at the waveforms the SOHC and DOHC CAS seems the same to me. So as far as I can tell you can use a DOHC ECU on a SOHC engine. I will give that a shot in the next few days.

What coils do you plan to run?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yes, you can use a DOHC ECU on a SOHC motor. I think you have to move a few pins around on the main ECU connector.

Your first batch looks really good. Is the front piece with the text on it a big sticker that goes over that section? Or something else?
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

adamky wrote:Yes, you can use a DOHC ECU on a SOHC motor. I think you have to move a few pins around on the main ECU connector.
Thanks, then my bench setup will be able to run it as-is.
adamky wrote: Your first batch looks really good. Is the front piece with the text on it a big sticker that goes over that section? Or something else?
C'mon Adam that's a trade secret! :happy-jumpgreen:

It's the most advanced of technologies... stamp and ink! I was looking at how the big players do it, and it is pad printing. Very similar but it requires a special machine which gets better results and fast cycle times. I did consider sticker but I use the stamp to center mark where to drill and I would need to have someone precut out the holes for the LEDs and knobs.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Lol, we'll keep it to ourselves, I promise. It looks really good for being a stamp. Good enough that I wouldn't have guessed it was a stamp until you told me.

I'm always interested in how things are made. I saw something online a while back where you can etch circuit boards at home with some chemicals and a laser printer. I've been DYING to do it ever since. I don't even know the first thing about making my own circuits, but just the fact that I could make it myself at home gets me all excited!
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

Post by mfschoenberg6522 »

3 years later... I would be interested in one of these "Nissan" COP Converters. After turbo rebuild, needed to reduce gap to avoid spark blow-out on a S14 Enthalpy tuned ka-t with Z32 MAF, DW 550cc injectors to about 0.028 on NKG BKR7E's. Still get some issues with a heat soaked engine after driving around town for an hour.

Considering using the '01 Maxima front bank style "smart" coils w/ built in igniter. There is a wire harness from an S15 SR20 that I can modify to use the coils. I'm assuming that the box takes the CAS wheel output from the S14 KA24DE dizzy to determine the firing triggers. The dwell & duration for the VQ coils are 3.1 ms & 2.0 ms respectively based on similar MS2PNP setups. Use of "smart" coils should be able to use a 5V trigger in the box rather than an igniter circuit to drive "dumb" 12v coil on plugs setups.

I've seen videos on Youtube regarding similar systems used on a G20 w/ SR20DE FWD using a controller for CNP systems. There is also a Arduino Uno project that takes the CAS input and will drive CNP/COP system in the youtube video comments section: https://youtu.be/v06FIRN5gIo
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

As a sidebar on those coils, the engine code is vq30dek. I am running them with megasquirt on my ka-t up to 21 psi, stock gap, no blowout on bkr7es11 plugs.
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

That's good to know. I've already ordered a S15 'smart' COP sub-harness from Wiring Specialties. Can you verify the dwell & duration are correct? I researched a Haltech stand alone and they seemed to have a chart of for rpm vs. voltage for S14/S15 SR20DET coil controls. The $1500 Haltech is out of my budget, but possibly go MSPNP2 or Nismotronics on an S13 SR20DET ECU if I can get the system going with the above mentioned COP Converter box.

I'm only running 10psi external wastegate on stock KA24 internals T3/TD04E w/ DW550cc & Z32 MAF w/ Enthalpy tuned S13 ECU on my '96 S14. I have an AEM boost gauge & boost contoller that I may eventually integrate into a RT tuning system.

I was looking at 350Z & R35 coils, but these are $$$. Seem like overkill, I'll have to figure out a low cost method (if any) to hold them to the valve cover. May just drill & tap AL cover and use appropriate spacers/hardware. The Nice Time Tuning cover is ~$300 and works for Honda K coils as designed.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

The thread on these forums for converting to maxima coils discusses conservative settings to start. I can only speak to what dwell is working for me.
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

Up and running with "Dog.Tuning" Nissan COP converter box on my S14 KA24DET. Using NGK '01 Maxima Coils and Wiring Specialties S15 'smart' coil sub-harness and 2 x 3 mating connector. Used an Xcessive Engineering internal coil delete (not needed). It may be possible to use the internal coil wire to power the COP sub - harness, but still trying to determine the fused capacity (needs to be 15+ amps) from the Factory Service Manual. Since I have a wideband, I'm using the stock O2 sensor +12V to activate relay as it remains powered under cranking.

Costs:
Nissan COP Box = $125 + Shipping
S15 "smart" coil Sub-Harness = $70
New NGK '01 Maxima Coils = $150
Misc, relays, wiring, etc. ~$35
Dizzy Dust cover = $20

Total = $400, could have gone with Ebay / used for $100 less.

Will remove valve cover to add coil mounting hardware M6 x 1 bolts & spacers. Considering 2 part epoxy & tapped bosses, vs. very expensive valve cover adapter from Nice Time Tuning.

Seems like B13 Sentra owners with SR20DE could also use this solution, provided that the CAS trigger 180 / TDC trigger wheel differences in signal are accounted. I was also looking at SR20DET ecu daughterboard & CAS wheel modifications or Standalone. I was able to source a CA18DET cas disc for the trigger pattern, but it is not keyed for S13/S14 dizzy. Reference: http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki ... ptical_CAS
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

S14 KA USDM coil circuit is rated for 30A (pin 7):
S14_KA_Ign_Sig_FSM.pdf
(131.33 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Reference S14 dizzy & pinouts for KA & SR:
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Glad you it got it running with the converter. It was interesting doing the testing to map out the dwell on those maxima coils. I learned that the 01 coils were more powerful but also easier to burn out than the 98 ones.

I think the stock coil power routes through the key cylinder (ignition switch) which is why I recommended a fresh feed off of the battery. As the key cylinder gets older there is significant voltage drop through it. Its been a while but I think thats how it was on my s13. Other things are fed from that same fuse which is why it is 30A. 15 or 20A should be plenty. The coils peak at a few amps when charging and are usually on one at a time... Maybe 2 at a time if you like to run up to 10k rpm ;)
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Such an awesome idea, great work on this!
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
Bl2ndm4n
NooB

Post by Bl2ndm4n »

Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but I was wondering if this converter was still available?
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I do. The print on the cover is not as good as the others. I think I have a few extras in a box I can just make up new ones. I'll send you a PM.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Since I have received questions from a few people on this I am posting the user manual. You can skim through to see how it works and it is wired. :auto-driving:

http://www.dagengine.com/FORUMS/COP/DAG ... 20rev2.pdf
MasterBlaster
NooB

Post by MasterBlaster »

p00t. I am interested in your converter, mentioned in this thread and joined Ka-t.org to ask you about it. However, possibly due to my new account status, initiating a PM conversation is not an option. Would you send price and availability information to my Ka-t.org account or reply to this thread with ordering details. Thank you
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

I've been able to get my S14 running in my Garage, but I live in Wisconsin and don't drive mine in the snow.

I noticed a few minor issues with the wiring pinouts on the ECU, nothing major. I have an S14 w/ S13 Enthalpy ECU & adapter harness, I've tapped into per the above instructions. I think the switched 12V + power may be pin 36 rather than pin 38. But this may be due to my S14 setup uniqueness. My pin 38 was battery 12V + to the ECU. I also made sure to use a separate ground from the ecu as well as only connecting the ignition coil to the COP box. The car will not run with signal still sent to the distributor coil.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I'm in Michigan so there is probably less snow here but my garage is 38F inside. I don't wrench on or drive the 240 in the winter. I did start it over the weekend and the LS coils allow the car to idle ice cold with no cold start valve. That's something the stock coil couldn't do without giving it a little throttle.

I double checked the FSM for both:

On the S13 ECU 36, 38, 47 should get power at the same time -> key in run and start. 36 is from the key cylinder (on/off signal to ECU). 38 and 47 are what powers everything on the ECU from the ECCS relay. If you have power there all the time then the ECU is always on (red LED is lit).

On the s14 ECU harness you are right 38, 56, and 61 get power in run and start. Same thing as above only the numbers have changed where 38 is key cylinder and 56 + 61 are from ECCS relay. Ideally you want to be tied to the power line from the relay (then the ECU and COP converter turn on/off at the same time). But it might be fine that way.
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

I went ahead and ordered a brand new set of NGK BKR7E-11's, with factory gap of 1.1 mm (0.043"). The car does seem to purr at idle like a modern engine with COP, I think my old S14 dizzy coil was weak to begin with from age & all of the heat soak from the Turbo kit. Before I went with the Xcessive coil delete, I simply broke the electrode tip off fairly easy. I have a spare S14 dizzy that seems to be in better shape, but I don't want to go back to distributor ever again.

Haven't had time to run under boost, but would expect no issues with the spark blow-out I had at 0.028" gap. But can always reduce slightly in the Summer when it gets hot here. I like how easy I can adjust timing with the COP Box. I have an attached unheated garage, but it's been pretty cold. Startup & Idle much better than before. May look at getting a Xcessive intake and ditch the IACV and such based on how well things are idling now, with cold startup.
Attachments
IMG_5988.jpg