How do you compression test a KA24DE removed from car

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
boost_free
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

How do you compression test a KA24DE removed from car

Post by boost_free »

I have a KA24DE on my garage floor I want to compression test before putting it in the car. I have a car battery ready to go. But how do I actually hook it up and go at it?
zenkiBruce
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by zenkiBruce »

I would assume you'd need a way to power the ECU and have the wiring harness connected. Oh, and some way to crank it. It's much easier if its in the car
-----------
_93 240sx Coupe
_05 BMW X5 3.0i

~USN, EM Nuke~
prento84
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by prento84 »

you could run a leak down test
arias pistons, t25, 370cc, n60
CalumRT
highoctane

Post by highoctane »

Is the flywheel and starter still on it? If so, brace the motor with something so that it would not flip over on you. Connect a good battery directly to the starter and jump power to the solenoid to kick the starter over (just like you are holding down the key to start a car).

Keep in mind the compression results from this is on a cold motor so it will be less than a motor at operating temp.
480sx
In Our Memories - RIP

Post by 480sx »

highoctane wrote:Is the flywheel and starter still on it? If so, brace the motor with something so that it would not flip over on you. Connect a good battery directly to the starter and jump power to the solenoid to kick the starter over (just like you are holding down the key to start a car).

Keep in mind the compression results from this is on a cold motor so it will be less than a motor at operating temp.
+1

No reason to hook and ecu up and all that ****. Just hook the starter up, and jump it.
boost_free

Post by boost_free »

Yes the tranny is still hooked up. So I can just hook up the fat lead on the starter to + battery. And put the battery negative anywhere on the motor. Then place positive 12VDC to the little wire that is on a plug from the starter to engage the starter relay?
GUnot
Learners Permit

Post by GUnot »

Yes. Just make sure you have it strapped down and have a good ground.
Power steering and ac are for the weak.
highoctane

Post by highoctane »

boost_free wrote:Yes the tranny is still hooked up. So I can just hook up the fat lead on the starter to + battery. And put the battery negative anywhere on the motor. Then place positive 12VDC to the little wire that is on a plug from the starter to engage the starter relay?
There will be two connections on the starter solenoid. The bigger is constant power (+12V) from the battery, the 14 gauge or smaller one is the signal to turn the starter on.

Ground the battery negative to anywhere on the motor, connect the battery positive to the bigger post on the starter solenoid. When you are ready to turn the motor over, you then jump another positive to the smaller signal wire. Make sure the tranny is in neutral to take the load off of the starter.
ppctx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by ppctx »

Nice Thread
Original owner of a 93' champagne colored, corn eating fastback. Growl and bite is a bit meaner, but she's still my little girl.

I'm not out, just doing a couple of other things for a bit.. brb
dopeassjackson
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by dopeassjackson »

boost_free wrote:Yes the tranny is still hooked up. So I can just hook up the fat lead on the starter to + battery. And put the battery negative anywhere on the motor. Then place positive 12VDC to the little wire that is on a plug from the starter to engage the starter relay?
yes big power wire to the big terminal and just jump power to the small terminal. you dont need the engine harness hooked to it or even the intake manifold on it. it shouldnt jump around much because one piston is going up and one is going down but i would still use at least one ratchet strap to hold it in place.
if you have the intake on dont forget to prop the throttle body open.
a leak down test will tell you more than any compression test.
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc