Noob Wideband Question

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
pwjm
240sx Wannabe

Noob Wideband Question

Post by pwjm »

Can I replace the stock o2 with the new Wideband?

I'm throwing nistune and a wideband on my car while its stock (bone stock) to get a feel for it and wanted to know if I could save myself some trouble by not having to weld in a new sensor bung on the exhaust.
Dlauth
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Dlauth »

Yes you can install just the wideband. My wideband has a narrowband wire coming off it and all you do is wire that into the stock narrowband signal wire going to the ecu and tricks the ecu to thinking its working. Also on my wideband I do not have the narrowband hooked up and it ran fine when I had it.
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

That's exactly how my car has been running for almost 2 years now.
That's also how I tuned my Stg 1+LC bin. :D
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
mo_hish
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by mo_hish »

Yeah, like Dlauth said, theres a narrowband wire that reads 0-1v. Just take that wire and tap into the o2 sensor wire on your ecu. You wont need the plug that the original o2 sensor used anymore when you do that.
pwjm
240sx Wannabe

Post by pwjm »

Perfect!! My current o2 harness wire is kind of mangled anyways, It'll be nice to take it out of the equation properly.

I noticed on the specs for the AEM UEGO It said it has an output for Stand alone ems's that's 0-5 volts. I'm assuming that's the narrow band wire you're talking about?

i can't wait to start fiddling with this!
mo_hish

Post by mo_hish »

No. There's actually two wires. The 0-5v wire that you're talking about is for datalogging... There's another wire (I think the blue one is datalogging and the white one is the narrowband output, but you should double check) that's 0-1v that can work as your narrowband input into your ECU.
240drew
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240drew »

the blue one is a serial input, and the white one is a 0-5v output, I dunno if you can hook it up to a narrowband input. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds as if the uego doesn't emulate narrowbands. I have a seprate bung so it doesn't matter to me.
Cars
1996 240sx KAt28- Sold
1992 240sx RB20- Sold
1995 240sx RB25neo- Sold
1993 240sx 2jzgte- Sold
Current:
2006 Toyota Tundra
1995 240sx 2jzgte BWs366
pwjm
240sx Wannabe

Post by pwjm »

RED <Power>
Connect to a switched 10-18 volt power source utilizing a 10A fuse.

BLACK <Ground>
Connect to a clean power ground.

*WHITE <Analog Output><optional hookup>
Connects to any Stand Alone ECU unit that accepts a 0-5 volt input.

*BLUE <Serial Output><optional hookup>
Connects to a RS-232 com port for hyper-terminal data logging.
Is that to say that narrow band ecu inputs are between 1-5 volts?

has anyone used the AEM widebands specifically with a factory ecu in place of the stock o2? Please no speculations.
mo_hish

Post by mo_hish »

I'm pretty sure that you can make it work for narrowbands. You just have to change the settings to P4 (AFR Nernst Emulation) and it'll work as a narrowband. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that when you have it in that setting the gauge will work as a narrowband as well so I'm not sure you want it to do that as that wont help much with tuning. I have another bung too so I'm not able to speak from experience.
mo_hish

Post by mo_hish »

You can always just give this a quick read.

(page 9)
http://www.aempower.com/images/products ... 0-4100.pdf
pwjm
240sx Wannabe

Post by pwjm »

hmm, how about this:

Does anyone know what the nominal voltage is for the stock o2 sensors? I just checked the FSM and didn't see it... which is weird.. it should be in there.
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

The UEGO can emulate the narrow band signal, there's a lil hole in the back where you can adjust it with a screw. There's a few different settings.
niko
240sx Wannabe

Post by niko »

If you dont have your stock O2 sensor hooked up, or the the wideband emulating a narrowband sensor, you will get a slightly worse fuel economy when your taking it easy and cruising. On higher rpms and performance wise you should still be good. This is due to the closed loop and the open loop mode of the ecu.
.......................................Garret GT28R.......................................
...................................H2O Cooled Boost....................................
zenki-des
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by zenki-des »

Dlauth wrote:Yes you can install just the wideband. My wideband has a narrowband wire coming off it and all you do is wire that into the stock narrowband signal wire going to the ecu and tricks the ecu to thinking its working. Also on my wideband I do not have the narrowband hooked up and it ran fine when I had it.
which wodeband do you have im curious if mine has that wire . currenty i dont have my first o2 hooked up only my second one . im running the innovative lc-1 mine runs fine but just curios
wtf is juice nigga i want that purple stuff
98 240sx t28
264lb/220hp
274/270lb 20g 12psi