Sticky: DOHC Turbo For Dummies

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
CoreyD
Learners Permit

Post by CoreyD »

Someone should add that AMS is making ALOT of parts for the ka now, including rods, which shold be added to the list.
Blastedmax
Learners Permit

Post by Blastedmax »

weres a good store to by all these parts??? online cause i would like to get estimates on parts also im gonna be modding a datsun 510 with a 95 ka in it
stroker
NooB

Post by stroker »

Some great info here! Thanks
joe62890
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by joe62890 »

Walperstyle wrote: update pics to this thread !!

thanks! :twisted:
+1 Thread needs some freshening up.
jeeta_s
240sx Wannabe

Post by jeeta_s »

EPIC THREAD
it really got be thinking in the right direction :)
dhallaballa
NooB

Post by dhallaballa »

Average: 300 rwhp to 350 rwhp, you have to start to expect a little more lag. This is about the perfect "street car" limit. No race gas, just good honest street car fun that is fully capable of bring home a 12 second timeslip on a good run.

well i put 93 in my car does the no race gas mean i can continue to put 93 in my car?
shadow98
Learners Permit

Post by shadow98 »

Wow, some of the comments/posts on here are just plain stupid (I'm very upfront and don't sugar coat things). At least 80% of the previous posts could have been answered with a simple sreach (or not being lazy). Is there any way for a mod to delete all that unnessacary trash from this great write up?

Now, on to my true question, which I think I know the answer to, but I'm not 100% sure... Is it required to run a AFPR with bigger injectors (i.e. 440cc to 550cc) or can the stock FPR handle them? I haven't seen this mentioned as part of any of the build lists.
Abe
shadow98
Learners Permit

Post by shadow98 »

Wow, some of the comments/posts on here are just plain stupid (I'm very upfront and don't sugar coat things). At least 80% of the previous posts could have been answered with a simple sreach (or not being lazy). Is there any way for a mod to delete all that unnessacary trash from this great write up?

Now, on to my true question, which I think I know the answer to, but I'm not 100% sure... Is it required to run a AFPR (1:1) with bigger injectors (i.e. 440cc to 550cc) or can the stock FPR handle them? I haven't seen this mentioned as part of any of the build lists.
Abe
RunninMeBrokeS13

Post by RunninMeBrokeS13 »

shadow98 wrote:Wow, some of the comments/posts on here are just plain stupid (I'm very upfront and don't sugar coat things). At least 80% of the previous posts could have been answered with a simple sreach (or not being lazy). Is there any way for a mod to delete all that unnessacary trash from this great write up?

Now, on to my true question, which I think I know the answer to, but I'm not 100% sure... Is it required to run a AFPR (1:1) with bigger injectors (i.e. 440cc to 550cc) or can the stock FPR handle them? I haven't seen this mentioned as part of any of the build lists.
a quick search got me this.

Performance fuel regulators are gadgets that are placed between the tank and just before the injectors. These help regulate the flow of fuel and ensures that there is consistent pressure to control the gas being led to the injectors. The unit of measurement used for the pressure being regulated is pond per square inch or PSI.

Fuel pressure regulators come in different shapes and sizes but there is only one use for them - to maintain the pressure above the intake manifold. This ensures that there is an optimum level of fuel being injected to the system. The excess fuel is restricted and returned to the tank, thus saving them for the next cycle.

This piece of equipment can be found where the fuel rail is. This fuel rail is the pipe, which holds the fuel for distribution to the injectors and cold start valve. This gadget is the last stop for the fuel as it gets pumped into the engine compartment. It is often cylindrical in shape and is made of metal.

The main job of the fuel regulator is as it name implies, to regulate the pressure in the fuel system to a standard constant of 28 psi. This varies depending on the car make. To accomplish this task, the gadget employs a diaphragm, which controls the valve. Excessive pressure in the line will open this valve up and release the fuel but will push back excess gas to the tank.

The regulator's vacuum also helps decrease emissions as the car halts. When deceleration occurs, the vacuum opens the valve where the fuel is returned to reduce the pressure in the system. This helps prevent excessive production of hydrocarbon since there is less fuel being injected due to the low pressure.

There is a need to install a fuel pressure regulator in order to adjust fuel pressure according to any modifications you might have already done with your engine. These regulators are necessary if you have installed high flow aftermarket fuel pumps in your car.

Some adjustable fuel regulators are especially useful since it provides an automatic self-adjusting regulator and emissions controller in one. These gadgets are often very reliable.

There is an offshoot of this regulator system, which is called the Fuel Management Unit (FMU). It serves as a supplemental upgrade to the fuel system, which could increase both air and fuel flow to your car's engine. The FMU is an adjustable or variable fuel pressure regulator that automatically gives a boost to your system. What it does it that it restricts the flow of fuel that goes back to the tank. When flow is restricted, pressure builds up. This increase in pressure will deliver more fuel with the same amount of time it takes for an ordinary fuel regulator
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

its not turbo lag, its foreplay

E-Mance? think again, do it right do it white.
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
240drew wrote:The 240sx rolled out with a motor that was stout as queen latifas ankles and as sophisticated as a cannon ball.
RunninMeBrokeS13

so basically. your going to need to upgrade the fuel pump to manage the injectors. then an AFPR can be used to control the flow of the bigger fuel pump.
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

240drew wrote:The 240sx rolled out with a motor that was stout as queen latifas ankles and as sophisticated as a cannon ball.
shadow98
Learners Permit

Post by shadow98 »

RunninMeBrokeS13 wrote:so basically. your going to need to upgrade the fuel pump to manage the injectors. then an AFPR can be used to control the flow of the bigger fuel pump.
No offense, but I didn't ask what anything about upgrading the fuel pump, that's a given... and I know what a AFPR/FPR are. But, maybe it might help some one else. I have built 4 cars in the past (non of them Nissans) so I'm not completely out of scope here. I figured I would need a AFPR considering all of my preivous cars have required one, but I found it strange that it wasn't listed in any of these build... Hence the question.
Abe
shadow98
Learners Permit

Post by shadow98 »

Before I forget, some cars have a weak enough FPR to where you can run a bigger/better flowing pump and get away with it.
Abe
RunninMeBrokeS13

shadow98 wrote:
RunninMeBrokeS13 wrote:so basically. your going to need to upgrade the fuel pump to manage the injectors. then an AFPR can be used to control the flow of the bigger fuel pump.
No offense, but I didn't ask what anything about upgrading the fuel pump, that's a given... and I know what a AFPR/FPR are. But, maybe it might help some one else. I have built 4 cars in the past (non of them Nissans) so I'm not completely out of scope here. I figured I would need a AFPR considering all of my preivous cars have required one, but I found it strange that it wasn't listed in any of these build... Hence the question.
if your going to upgrade the fuel pump, that you know has a larger flow rate, why would you ignore the fuel pressure? the answer is yes. use one.
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

nightrieder
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nightrieder »

i didnt want to read through the millions of posts. so sorry if someone already answered this.

when do u think the stock rings will fry? and rods will break? i am only looking for 250.. maby 300hp. just want to make sure my rings will be fine till i save enough for forged internals.
stock block boost
street_240sx wrote:ac is over rated so are power locks and power windows
RunninMeBrokeS13

nightrieder wrote:i didnt want to read through the millions of posts. so sorry if someone already answered this.

when do u think the stock rings will fry? and rods will break? i am only looking for 250.. maby 300hp. just want to make sure my rings will be fine till i save enough for forged internals.
it should be fine. if you rebuild you will be fine. stock setup can usually handle 300-325 on a good day.
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

nightrieder
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nightrieder »

RunninMeBrokeS13 wrote:
nightrieder wrote:i didnt want to read through the millions of posts. so sorry if someone already answered this.

it should be fine. if you rebuild you will be fine. stock setup can usually handle 300-325 on a good day.
and a bad day? =( the motor has 135k on it but no problems that would hurt it. just the starter is out so i have to compression start it everywhere bahahahah.

so it wouldnt have been rebuilt "yet" still okay u think?
stock block boost
street_240sx wrote:ac is over rated so are power locks and power windows
RunninMeBrokeS13

i turboed my old 240 with 170k on it and pushed 17psi for 9 months beating the **** out of it everywhere. i think you'll be ok. ooh and fyi don't be lazy on this site you will get bitched at for it. just letting you know. i personally don't care if your lazy but other definitely will.
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

destrux
NooB

Post by destrux »

Excellent. Very informative thread. This thread has convinced me to go with the 240SX over any of the other cars I've been looking at (2g RX7, Miata, SC300). I'm currently parting out my last long term project car (93' eclipse turbo, had it 9 years) and going to pick up a 240sx with the funds. I was on the fence about what car was easiest to achieve my goal of running low 13's with excellent reliability. The RX7 motors are reliable, but touchy about knock and expensive to rebuild, the miata motors are great, but the transmissions are weak (and a stronger transmission is $3K+). The SC300 is way too expensive to build (for an inexpensive car), and it's a pig. The 240sx with a turbo'd KA24DE seems like the best way to go. It's light, no engine swap needed to make crazy power, no internals needed till after 300hp, reasonably affordable options are available to strengthen the driveline, tons of "oem" upgrades, many tuning options...
07' Mazdaspeed3 GT 2.3L MZR Turbo 298whp 297wtq
93' Eclipse GS Turbo 250whp 244wtq (parting out to fund next project...)

Shopping for an S13 or S14.
Scotty2Forty
Learners Permit

Post by Scotty2Forty »

Awesome sticky! I usually hang out on www.xceedspeed.com because everybody in my area is on there, but now and then I pop in for some great ka-t info to point me in the right direction.

Anyways, I know there is already a thread on here about a build with an evo3 16g (dsm) turbo, but does anybody have anything to say about it? I already have one with 2000 miles on it and really want to use it since it is such a great turbo. I'm not looking for input like "get a T3/T4".

For my build I want RELIABLE 300-325 whp with the potential for more with minor upgrades, on a good tune.
So far I have a freshly shot blasted block and said turbo. The head is in getting a valve job and cleaned up as I type. I was planning on keeping the stock rods but getting them shot blasted and cryo treated, Clevite bearings, ARP rod and main bolts and head studs, Metal hg, undetermined cam setup (with s13 and or s14 cams), undetermined forged pistons, log style exhaust manifold kit from http://weirtech.ca/, custom downpipe, external wastegate ( WG flapper on my turbo is already welded shut), 450cc dsm injectors (I know about the resistors needed), top feed fuel rail, FPR, z23 maf and fuel filter, 255 pump, spec stage 3 clutch, and undetermined FMIC and radiator. I don't know what I want to use for tuning yet. This is supposed to be a "budget build" :lol: Lmk what you think!

Thanks
Scott
destrux wrote:The 240sx with a turbo'd KA24DE seems like the best way to go. It's light, no engine swap needed to make crazy power, no internals needed till after 300hp, reasonably affordable options are available to strengthen the driveline, tons of "oem" upgrades, many tuning options...
You pretty much just hit the nail on the head.
-Scott
1991 240sx AKA "the wishing well"
warwickbass23
NooB

Post by warwickbass23 »

dude thats bitching u have whats iam looking for, dude and u have it to the teeth, I have a sr and I want to try somthing so y not try the ka, they tell me that the bottom can hold some big hp so thats coo but thanx man for the info
lets c what a ka-t can do
wcbjr

Post by wcbjr »

My head hurts after reading that post.
Somnambulist
240sx Wannabe

Post by Somnambulist »

warwickbass23 wrote:dude thats bitching u have whats iam looking for, dude and u have it to the teeth, I have a sr and I want to try somthing so y not try the ka, they tell me that the bottom can hold some big hp so thats coo but thanx man for the info
godrifttoday
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by godrifttoday »

^ I like that pic lol
godrifttoday
Projectxfresno
NooB

Post by Projectxfresno »

I want to Run in between 250-300whp what would be the best setup? i mean i wanna go the most cost effective route but i DO NOT mind rebuilding my engine with better internals if it has to be done. but if running around 250 hp it doesnt need to then i wont rebuild until i have more money.
a_ahmed
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by a_ahmed »

This thread needs a revamp/upgrade it's 2010
alkemyst
240sx Wannabe

Post by alkemyst »

a_ahmed wrote:This thread needs a revamp/upgrade it's 2010
I agree. I am sure there are cheaper ways now.
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

alkemyst wrote:
a_ahmed wrote:This thread needs a revamp/upgrade it's 2010
I agree. I am sure there are cheaper ways now.
yup time for update, new manifolds and such. newer, better or cheaper setups are out there. some of the links need to be update cause companies died or changed up.
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
fivehundereddollar13
NooB

Post by fivehundereddollar13 »

okay guys... an update would be nice.

I got sick of Hondas so I just picked up my first 240 today with a KA24DE...

This car will be turboed by the end of the year.
Im aiming for around 300 WHP.

Comming from honda's I wasnt to into the turbo thing. i was a straight n/a guy.
But now ive come to my senses. any cheap kits out there now?
Full kits btw.. fmic included.
also... things i would need to do to the stock motor to keep **** from breaking.
ive read a bit on the KAs and they seem to have a strong block so thats not too much of a worry... anything else worth replacing or upgrading tho? fuel management, injectors blah blah blah?
240sxnewb91
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by 240sxnewb91 »

very good thread very helpful as far as information that the other people have posted also. i know what i am looking for now
Romeo_rus
Learners Permit

Post by Romeo_rus »

fivehundereddollar13 wrote: i was a straight n/a guy.
and now you are a gay turbo girl... LMAO :bootyshake: