Tune Built KA-T?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
JustAKouki
NooB

Tune Built KA-T?

Post by JustAKouki »

Hey, so quick information about the build. I bought the car (97 240sx) with the Tomei Arms kits, and supporting mods installed (i.e injectors, fuel pumps, aem ems) engine was unopened and had low compression which ended up being cracked ringlands.

Pulled the engine and got it machined and am currently putting it back together. The car was originally dyno tuned when the turbo and supporting mods were installed. The engine now has forged internals (wiseco 9.0:1 pistons and eagle rods) and is bored out .5mm, the head has stainless steel valves and titanium springs and retainers and stage 2 BC cams.

My question is: how important is it that I get the vehicle tuned as soon as possible? Can I run the vehicle at all after putting it back in on the pre built engine tune? Can I drive it like this at all, or does it need to go straight to the tuner?

Thanks
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: Tune Built KA-T?

Post by NukeKS14 »

If you stay out of boost, sure you're probably going to be fine. But if you want to get into boost I'd get it tuned tbh... You just spent how much on the engine machine work? Why cut corners now? just my .02
JustAKouki
NooB

Post by JustAKouki »

NukeKS14 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:31 pm If you stay out of boost, sure you're probably going to be fine. But if you want to get into boost I'd get it tuned tbh... You just spent how much on the engine machine work? Why cut corners now? just my .02
Thanks for the response, I figured I would be fine if I didn't build boost. Definitely not trying to cut corners, I just wanted to see if I would be able to make sure everything is copacetic when it's back together on a short test drive, or if it was something more like "Only start it to get it on the trailer and to the tuner". My first build and I'm, equally excited and nervous
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Yeah you'll be ok in vacuum as long as you didnt drastically raise your compression ratio. Best of luck. They're very very fun to get into when you arent worried about the motor grenading.