KA Turbo Build Opinion/Tips Wanted

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
S13Zeb
NooB

KA Turbo Build Opinion/Tips Wanted

Post by S13Zeb »

December 2020 I made the poor choice of buying a s-chassis. I bought a 92 Hatch with all the money I saved up, but it came with a freshly installed CXRacing turbo kit and the car had never ran with the turbo kit until I got it. Now since I'm 15 turning 16 my goal currently with the car is to make "reliable" power with this kit while I take it to High School when the pandemic is over. I currently almost have enough money to get the parts I think I would need to really finish the car cause I don't want to drive the car with a stock ECU and stock injectors. I want some opinions on the parts list to see if all these parts should be good and get me to my goal.

-MSpnp2 ECU
-Trigger Wheel
-IAT sensor
-AEM Wideband
-Apexi air Filter
-ISR 550cc Injectors (would've preferred deatschwerks injectors but for the price of 370cc injectors I could get these and have some head room)
-ISR Fuel Regulator
-White Bunny Clutch Kit

I'm also getting tunerstudio pro when I get the ECU cause I do plan on tuning this by myself even though its probably gonna be a pain in the ass but I'm also gonna read some books I've seen suggested by forums on romraider to better understand how to tune. I'm also only gonna run 7/8 psi of boost since that's what the kit says, thats pretty much all. I just want some tips and opinions on this to make sure I'm not missing anything and maybe get some knowledge I'm missing
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: KA Turbo Build Opinion/Tips Wanted

Post by p00t »

Welcome to the forum!

Worst case leave the wastegate open as you learn to wrench on the car and figure out how everything works. I would have loved to have bought a turbo car as my first car!

Some tips with injectors: 550 and under usually have a stock spray pattern. This means it can idle great. Don't sweat it.

Suggestions:
-Read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell
-Read Forced Induction Performance Tuning by Graham Bell

These two books have tons of little facts that will at least make you aware of how to not blow your **** up. Biggest being timing and fueling versus boost.

There are plenty of other books but I have found those two easy to read, not expensive to buy, and at least got you thinking the right way about modifications.

Don't be scared of learning ****. First car with a stand alone isn't easy. You will learn really good lessons. But good and frustrating at the same time. You will be the wiser in the end with your next purchase in a car or mod. It's worth it.

Also you can get a daughterboard for the ECU from Moats which is 55/60 bucks. So you can go back to stock ECU anytime with guidance from these forums.

Good luck!
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
S13Zeb
NooB

Post by S13Zeb »

Thanks for replying
I'm definitely gonna read those books as I really want to know as mush as possible before I start tuning since I really don't wanna blow my engine and I maybe wanna pursue something in tuning. Even though I'm worried about tuning, I can't wait cause I think it'll be a great learning experience and thats kinda what I see my car as
bubbles240
NooB

Post by bubbles240 »

Subscribed to see your build. I am hoping to work on my own soon