Possible cause of metallic noise?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Possible cause of metallic noise?

Post by modulation »

Oil is clean, noise doesn't correspond to RPM.
The metal line on the top of the timing chain guide shouldn't be there in a healthly engine right?
Got slowly worse over the last 40 miles or so.

I got carbon bits in my oil from being a moron and welding with oil pan on. Guessing that cause tensioner to get stuck or not have enough pressure.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.50.19 PM.gif
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Re: Possible cause of metallic noise?

Post by modulation »

Since I pulled the oil pan to take off the front cover, I decided I might as well check rod bearings.
They all look great, can still see the marks where I measured them. Only one that showed any copper was this one with the small line, but it's smooth and finger-nail doesn't catch. Feeling better it is the timing chain... Gonna pull the front cover today/tomorrow.
Attachments
asdf.gif
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Well this is some of the oil and carbon that came out of my lower chain tensioner. Had to order some gaskets/parts but should have it all back together tomorrow ready to start. The lower timing tensioner is cheap'ish so I just bought a new one.
Attachments
fc.gif
dirty.gif
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Oh and besides replacing the bottom tensioner, I used compressed air to blow out all the channels after taking off the cams, tensioners and oil filter. Then I filled up the oil filter, and put compressed air through the hole where the oil pump puts oil into the block. Made a mess squirting oil everywhere and ruined a shirt, but I know al my passages are cleaned.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

If the noise doesn't follow RPM it should be something not tied to the crank in some way. Which doesn't leave much. Could it just be a loose part on the engine? Exhaust? A bracket or something?

The line on the tensioner looks like it's part of the manufacturing process. Chains typically leave a wear pattern like a slot with two outer ruts to it (like a cars tracks through mud or snow).

Did you record the sound?
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Well after all the work turns out it's the power steering pump.
Got everything back together and noise was there. Took off water pump/power steering belt out of desperation and noise was gone. Replaced water pump and noise is still there. Drove it 6 miles and it's gotten way worse, not driving it again until I get it replaced. Problem is P.S. pumps are $$ these days..
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Did you read what you linked to?
" Return and Rebuild Service Only - You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you. We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order. Info"

Further reading says it can take 3-5 weeks as well..
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

I can't even find a new S13 OR S14 pump in stock. Time to hit up junkyards.
Tried:
carid
partsgeek
rockauto
advanced auto
o'reilly's
discount auto
Napa
pep boys
ebay
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Anyways for now I threw on a belt that skips the power steering and drive without it. It's not my daily, and I drove a 94 camaro for 6+ months without power steering so the 240sx is a breeze.