D22 navara ka24e turbo

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
navbasher
NooB

D22 navara ka24e turbo

Post by navbasher »

G'day everyone, I've started a turbo build on my Nissan navara d22 1998 ka24e and I've got a couple of questions.
So far I have:
t25 garret turbo
4psi or a 7psi internal waste gate
intercooled
2.5 inch exhaust
air/fuel ratio gauge and sensor
boost gauge and bov
t2 to t3 adapter
engine completely stock with around 250 000kms
I'm planning on running the 7 psi one with the stock injectors, would they be enough?
And as for tuning am I able to run nistune with the stock ecu or would I have to get a different one?
Is there any other ways to tune it that are easier?
Cheers
Bigcam
Learners Permit

Re: D22 navara ka24e turbo

Post by Bigcam »

Better to go for an aftermarket ECU.
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Bigcam wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:49 pm Better to go for an aftermarket ECU.
Why? What does spending $1k get him with his setup that nistune doesn't?
(I'm assuming he's got the nistune already.)
FoundSoul
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by FoundSoul »

modulation wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:22 pm
Bigcam wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:49 pm Better to go for an aftermarket ECU.
Why? What does spending $1k get him with his setup that nistune doesn't?
(I'm assuming he's got the nistune already.)

Honestly-- you can do a whole heck of a lot with a proper standalone ECU in these cars.
  • Ability to delete the MAF which makes a little more power in my experience, the more restrictive the MAF, the bigger the difference.
  • Conversion to sequential injection if it's not already (can require a trigger wheel swap)
  • Conversion to Coil On Plug/COP Ignition, fired sequentially (yup... trigger wheel likely needed see above)
  • Individual cylinder tuning for fuel and spark to help balance out the cylinders and prevent one cylinder from running leaner/hotter than the others and cooking a piston.
  • 3 step burnout rev limiter.
  • Flat shift (no lift shifting, stay in the throttle all the way through the shift and the ECU prevents overrev).
  • Overboost protection.
  • Table switching for running different fuels.
  • CanBUS connectivity to aftermarket dashes/displays.
  • Extra Outputs to allow you to control just about anything you'd ever want to (multiple fans, lights, relays, solenoids, meth or water injection, whatever)
  • Extra Inputs to read additional sensors (shock travel? G-meter? wheel speed? coolant pressure to catch a failing headgasket if you're tune gets too spicy?).
  • Wheelspeed based launch control for rolling starts
  • Second stage of injection allowing for small injector/big injector strategy
  • Ability to run a second fuel pump for fuel on demand? High power time-based fuel enrichment to cool things off if you're in the throttle for longer pulls
  • Tunable AC Compressor disable based on throttle position or rpm, or both
  • Radiator fan deactivation based on throttle position or wheelspeed
  • Traction Control and power management
  • Wheelie control
  • Diagnostic tools like Test Mode which let you fire an individual injector or coil or pretty much anything else to confirm they are each individually functioning how they are supposed to
  • Datalogging either to a laptop or with MS3Pro, to an SDCard for later review.
  • Advanced engine protection strategies to prevent engine damage due to lean AFR, low fuel pressure, knock, high EGTs, low oil pressure, coolant temp too high. Allowing you to turn on a 'check engine light' if you want, to shut the engine down if you want, or to kick into a 'limp home mode' limiting RPMs and boost but letting you have a good shot at getting back to the pits?
That's a pretty good list, I could keep going, but bottom line you can do a LOT with an MSPNP Gen2 and even more with an MS3Pro ECU in these cars. I don't know Nistunes featureset inside and out, I quickly googled it knowing that simply because it's tied to the capabilities of the factory ECU that it HAS to be limited in comparison to our standalone stuff for these cars. The feature list I found was pretty short. Just the extreme basics.

To answer your question... it does a LOT.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
www.DIYAutoTune.com