Auto touch up paint - aerosol or spray gun?

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Auto touch up paint - aerosol or spray gun?

Post by niceguy »

Well work's been slow so I find myself wanting to do a few things to my beater '93 Altima. It's the beige/champagne metallic but the engine bay is the base only version of that color code, in flat it appears.

After a quick engine swap a few years back, the bay got scratched up here and there especially the upper radiator support and the strut towers but no rust anywhere (Memphis, TN).

The local auto paint supply house has mixed the metallic base/clear in an aerosol can before which worked well for the grill but I need something really durable that can take tools,etc sitting there and not easily scratching the paint.

I'm just not sure if the aerosol can paint would provide enough durability and mil thickness unless I spray, tack, spray about 10-15 coats, if that would even work.

Would I be better with a little gravity gun and a pint of paint?

I've used lots of paint equipment over the years (HVLP, Airless,etc) so it shouldn't take much to get the hang of a gravity gun if that's what I need to use.

Doesn't need to be a show car quality, just need paint that'll not scratch easy.

Thanks!
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

The pre mixed aerosol cans suck since they have to have it all mixed in the can and sit happily for a long time.

The 2 part paint (gravity gun) is far better for chemical and general abuse resistance.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Yeah, I just think it would take too many coats of aerosol to get to cover well plus if I set some wrenches on the strut towers or radiator support (and I will!), I'd hate for the paint to scratch so easy.

I'm going by the local paint supply house to see what they recommend for something basic that will be fairly durable, whether urethane, acrylic laq or acrylic enamel...