Any Air Traffic Controllers on here?

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Any Air Traffic Controllers on here?

Post by AFKOUKI »

Anybody on here in ATC? I'm crosstraining into it (air force) in march, and wanted to know what you thought about the job. I'll be putting on Ssgt before I get to my base after keesler. Thanks!!
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: Any Air Traffic Controllers on here?

Post by cmj »

I worked closely with ATC for a little over a year. You need to pick one right off the bat 1) Bible Thumper 2) Alcoholic 3) Adulterer.

It's a great career with excellent pay for hours worked.. Excellent benefits, and the opportunity to move around the country if so desired. Keeping track of L.O.A. and S.O.P. in the Midwest is rough since they are always changing, and most traffic crosses through IND. Everyone quotes ATC as the most stressful position with high suicide rates and such, but I noticed that the controllers that loved what they do, stayed up on current agreements and procedures, and worked hard weren't near as stressed as the controllers that were always second guessing their knowledge.
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by AFKOUKI »

Thanks for the tips. Ill be in south Geargia at Moody AFB for my first assignment, that should last me a few years. I got to hang out in the tower one night on Eglin AFB and everyone there laughed when I asked about "most stressful job in the air force". They all love it and said they wouldnt trade it for anything. I'm a little nervous about the new career field, but look forward to the new challanges.
PeterLight
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PeterLight »

None, only through online flight simulators, I guess.