How to run LS1 Coils

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
Matkins85
NooB

Re: How to run LS1 Coils

Post by Matkins85 »

P00T would you be interested in selling a duplicate of what youve done to run coil on plug. Im new to all of this so trying to learn and do.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

R34SR wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 pm I had a similar issue with the coils seeming kinda weak and not much of an improvement over the stock system. Then I decided to wire the power source for the coils directly to the battery in conjunction with a fused relay system. I ended up being able to run 18 psi on a .40 gap with a t28.

These cars are old, sometimes our wiring isn't up to the task or never was meant to provide that kind of power for Maxima/d585 coils. Try it my way..can't hurt.
I did the same to my coils when I did them, ran straight from the battery. I noticed a change in the battery voltage after the ignition switch... That thing should have been just for the ignition "signals" and not have significant power running through it. Probably a weird mix of old ways of doing things and newer electronics.
Matkins85 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 am P00T would you be interested in selling a duplicate of what youve done to run coil on plug. Im new to all of this so trying to learn and do.
Of course. It's probably ~$160 shipped if you want one. I have to make up a harness for you and test it. I made a few extra converters so they are just hanging out. I wound up only programming it for: fixed dwell (big dumb coils), D585, D577, & D514. I recommend the 585's but if you have some specific coil we can talk about it. Most need maps to run correctly.

PM me if you wind up needing one. Oh I will need to make a user manual too LOL!
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
Blu40SX
NooB

Post by Blu40SX »

@p00t wondering if you knew anything about the LSX smart coils? Do I have to use a CAS disc on that set up. Can’t seem to find anything on forums about it. I just ordered some and I need to know if I need the CAS or not so I can order. Thanks for the information
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

The CAS disc isn't linked to the coils. Only to the stand alone. Specifically AEM's v1 and v2 standalone that everyone used. Basically the hardware isn't fast enough to keep up with the resolution of the standard CAS disc. So you need it regardless of what you are doing if you have an AEM.

You can run smart coils easily with just one target dwell amount but you won't get the most power out of them. Google the dwell maps for the type of coil you have. Enter the map if your standalone can handle it or try to emulate part of it with whatever the software can do.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022