Blow through maf users check in

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
480sx
In Our Memories - RIP

Blow through maf users check in

Post by 480sx »

Im thinking of running a blow through setup on my Ka-T and am wondering what kind of results you guys have had with that setup. I would be most interested in the Z32 Maf, but i guess all nissan mafs would have similar results. From what i gather the best place to put the maf is on the cold pipe, on a strait piece of pipe a foot or so away from the throttle body.

Heres a few questions i have for the blow through guys..

1 - Are you running a FMIC?

2 - What boost levels do you usually see?

3 - How long are your MAFs lasting?

4 - How long have you run Blow through? (kind of the same question as 3..)\

5 - What MAF are you running?

6 - Where on the cold pipe is your maf located, how far away from the TB? Is it on a strait peice of pipe?

I have done my homework, i am really just looking for testimonials from blow through maf users. Yes map sensor tuning systems are great ^^. Im going to run MS on my track s14, but MS simply isnt the daily driving ecu that i had hoped. For now, Enthalpy keeps me happy.
Yoshi_hito
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Yoshi_hito »

im interested in this too.. pics n comments would be wonderful guys!
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Blow through maf users check in

Post by rn240sx »

480sx wrote:Im thinking of running a blow through setup on my Ka-T and am wondering what kind of results you guys have had with that setup. I would be most interested in the Z32 Maf, but i guess all nissan mafs would have similar results. From what i gather the best place to put the maf is on the cold pipe, on a strait piece of pipe a foot or so away from the throttle body.

Heres a few questions i have for the blow through guys..

1 - Are you running a FMIC?

2 - What boost levels do you usually see?

3 - How long are your MAFs lasting?

4 - How long have you run Blow through? (kind of the same question as 3..)\

5 - What MAF are you running?

6 - Where on the cold pipe is your maf located, how far away from the TB? Is it on a strait peice of pipe?

I have done my homework, i am really just looking for testimonials from blow through maf users. Yes map sensor tuning systems are great ^^. Im going to run MS on my track s14, but MS simply isnt the daily driving ecu that i had hoped. For now, Enthalpy keeps me happy.
1 - yes
2- whatever i set the boost controller to... 8, 14, 20, 25.... whatever mood im in that day or night
3- still on the original z32 maf i purchased yrs ago...
4- about 3k miles worth
5- Z32 N62
6 - after the fmic. it sits where the oem battery location is. It has a straight piece of pipe b4 it for about 4 inches worth, then its a 45 deg bend down toward the fmic then a 90 deg bend to hit the fmic...

I can tell u this, it drives like its n/a... Ive done the recirculation setup with no afc and it still had more than wanted issues... I then did the open bov with afc & dec-air... that was worse even with many different settings on it. I gave up and went blow-thru and its been perfect so far and drives and idles like n/a, no stalls yet.

One thing tho... my a/f ratio's went LEAN with this setup and i had to re-tune... !!!
I went from 11.5 to 13.5 at 8 psi when i went blowthru.... and i changed nothing..!! Just the mere location of the maf. Im guessing thats the difference between the suction type and blow thru... it has that much of an effect on the maf element...
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
Bonomoskat

Post by Bonomoskat »

so ur maf only last 3k miles?? then it goes bad ?
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

No, i think he was saying that he has driven 3000miles on his mafs with the blow through setup.

If you are worried about mafs life, get one from autozone. 1year waranty and well priced.

I don't think blow through will shorten the life of a mafs too significantly.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Bonomoskat wrote:so ur maf only last 3k miles?? then it goes bad ?
didnt say it went bad at 3k miles... Its been blow thru for 3k miles so far and its still working....
sicks13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by sicks13 »

rn240sx, you havent had any problems at high boost levels? I've heard that the mafs starts to seperate somewhere around 20 psi.

I'm curious cause my next setup might be blow thru.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

sicks13 wrote:rn240sx, you havent had any problems at high boost levels? I've heard that the mafs starts to seperate somewhere around 20 psi.

I'm curious cause my next setup might be blow thru.
i dont hit 20-25 psi enough to tell u if thats tru... in the 3k miles worth of blowthru.... ive maybe seen 20-25 psi..... 5 times...!! and thats cause i need race gas at that level and at $7 / gallon..... u figure it out...
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

Rn240sx, could you post a picture of your coldpipe/mafs. I've been looking through the engine bay thread and found a few blow through pics, but not that many.

I think i'm going to go blow through tomorrow, and would just like to see how yours is set up.

Thanks.

Anybody else with blow through please post pics of mafs location, please.

I know their are many threads about blow through, but i only found about 5 good pictures.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
Liger
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Liger »

1. I have an FMIC
2. 7.5 psi
3. been 8 months now
4. 2 days
5. N60 Maxima
6. Located near stock battery location. Long sweeping 3" tubing bend to inlet of maf with 4" of straight 2.5" tubing after the maf

Also just as rn240sx said, you do run lean when switching to blow through setup. I do believe it's because it cannot calculate the densities as accurately under pressure.
boznuttz
NooB

Post by boznuttz »

Even thought this thread is also on Nico, lol, I was also wondering if anyone ran a blow through setup with an FMU. Would there be any issues with the MAF before the TB and the BOV on the hotpipe? I know that unmetered air escaping in an atmosphereic BOV setup wouldn't be an issue. Would there be any issues besides that?

I'm having some fitment issues as of now, and a blow through setup might make my life a little easier.
Getting attacked by bears is really awesome.
480sx
In Our Memories - RIP

Post by 480sx »

Every horror story i have heard about blow through setups has been with stock mafs. Infact, no one that has run a z32 maf blow thru has had anything bad to say about it so far. Since your running a stock maf, you might wana just try to get the thing to work draw through.
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

Just got done with my blow-through setup, and all the work was worth it. No more stalling even if i let the motor drop from 5k rpms.

I'll take some pictures before i put my front end back on. Still gotta relocate my bov, drove around with out it, just didn't boost. I cut the filter adapter part of my z32 mafs off with a hack saw, and put a coupler so i don't have to worry about leaks.

Felt wierd cutting through a $130 dollar part.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

I'm going to clean up the wiring and stuff...

Notice the getto sawzall hole

Might as well whore the engine while i'm at it. Notice the custom stainless turbo water lines.

Last edited by Kfred on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Kfred wrote:Rn240sx, could you post a picture of your coldpipe/mafs. I've been looking through the engine bay thread and found a few blow through pics, but not that many.
I went out to the garage and took about 3 pics and tried to upload it to my car domain web page and it would not take for whatever odd reason and i dont know how else to get it to this thread...
ill try it again tonite to see if it takes, if it does then ill post it. If not, then tomorrow for a 3rd try...

By the way, what size turbo do u have in this pic

cause i wana upgrade to either a T04E or T61 but they dont come with the 5 bolt output flange... I just spend $250 to make a new 3 inch downpipe to fit that 5 bolt output flange on my current turbo and i dont wana have to do it again for a 4 bolt output flange
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

Nah, thats a little ole' 50trim.
I want a t3/t61, and i also want it in the 5 bolt housing.

I'm sure you could get one in a 5 bolt somewhere. Try calling these folks, http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/index1.htm. They don't have much listed on their site, but they got my turbo custom made by garrett for me, for cheaper than anyone else. In fact the guy that usually answers the phone used to have a sc61 i believe

Ballbearing 50trim with a 5bolt exhaust housing is not a common turbo.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
Bonomoskat

Post by Bonomoskat »

well i just have heard bad stories about blow thru at high boost see im running 16 daily and probaly 20 -25 track or on occasions ..so i dont think it would be smart for me to do that ..
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

I ain't scared man. If it blows ill epoxy it back together :twisted:

And i am going to get up to 20psi eventually
jwrose

Post by jwrose »

just smear a coat of jb weld around the outside of the maf...
and btw blow thru people... where are you all rocking the bov.. open to atm?
built motor, custom bottom mount, t67, midmount i/c, blowthru z32, tial w/g, hks ssqv, d/w 740's, l/w flywheel, comp 4 puck, b&m shifter, no p/s, no a/c, no emissions

<b>Under Construction</b>
spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
Yoshi_hito

Post by Yoshi_hito »

i think on the hot pipe...
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

Yeah i'm rocking a RFL (vta) on the hotside. I took my car for a spin around the block with the hot pipe off. Car sounds like a jet, loud a** turbo spool, slow a** acceleration. First time i ever drove a n/a 240sx. That crap was fun as hell, couldn't floor it past 4k though. Didn't want to overspin the turbo.

If i ever want to force myself to get good gas mileage i can just take my hot pipe off. Lol!

i thought about coating it in 3500psi epoxy, but after cutting through the mafs, i realized how thick that thing actually is. I'm not worried about it breaking.

The gas mileage i will save from not running rich inbetween shifts and when stalling will pay for a new mafs if it breaks anyway. The drivability is so much better/smoother, i'm stoked.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
98koukile
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 98koukile »

Looks decent just put some moldings on the metal you cut and clean it up a bit... it won't cut through anything important when it all vibrates around
Driving=heaven, one 1/4 mile at a time
Trippen

Post by Trippen »

I have been debating this while I have been rebuilding my motor. was running a suck through with none of the normal issue with this at 16PSI-20PSI depending on mood. My question Is the AFR on a blow through more acurate or are you inducing an error towards the lean side when you do this? I am remembering something about this but cant remember which one it was more or less acurate on the blow through?
Trippen-
-Boost is like a bad habit the more you do it the more you want it.-

89 240sx se Hatch-NA RS*R race springs w/AGX's
92 240sx se Convertible-(Wifes Car) NA , Tanabe Coilovers..
95 240sx se KA-T Borded .20 over JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, Arias Pistons, Eagle Rods, 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, 50lb MSD, J30 LSD, Custom Drive shaft,D21 flywheel,PLX-R500 and TurboXS Knock lite. 275.5 tq 246hp @14psi
jwrose

Post by jwrose »

you'll have to tune for it... bc in a blow thru setup you'll be metering more air... if you don't tune for it, it will be real lean... but once fuel is added for all the metered air it will all be fine... as far as accuracy goes, its all in the wideband to tell you the afr's
built motor, custom bottom mount, t67, midmount i/c, blowthru z32, tial w/g, hks ssqv, d/w 740's, l/w flywheel, comp 4 puck, b&m shifter, no p/s, no a/c, no emissions

spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
Kfred

Post by Kfred »

Is this considered recirculating? Lol!

Don't mind the wiring, thats on the agenda for Friday.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
jwrose

Post by jwrose »

haha that's good stuff... I'd say its recirc'd

spun a rod bearing
be back in no time
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

jwrose wrote: where are you all rocking the bov.. open to atm?
Anywhere b4 the maf..... and why would u recirculate the bov when ur running blow-thru..?? The entire point of blowthru is to avoid the recirculation setup and to have your motor running like its n/a
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Kfred wrote:Nah, thats a little ole' 50trim.
I want a t3/t61, and i also want it in the 5 bolt housing.

I'm sure you could get one in a 5 bolt somewhere. Try calling these folks, http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/index1.htm. They don't have much listed on their site, but they got my turbo custom made by garrett for me, for cheaper than anyone else. In fact the guy that usually answers the phone used to have a sc61 i believe

Ballbearing 50trim with a 5bolt exhaust housing is not a common turbo.
It may be a small turbo for u but i have a t04b which is like one small step larger than a T28... My turbo is half the size of urs.... thats why i was asking what u have,
My goal one day is to hit 400-425 whp on pump gas at about 18-20 psi... the only way to get that is to upgrade to a T04B with a halacious tune or a T61 with minimal tune..
Bonomoskat

Post by Bonomoskat »

just went blow tru soooo so much better so nice now!
seanc

Post by seanc »

blow through has been a better mod than the turbo! my car drives like flipping stock!

1 - Are you running a FMIC? yes

2 - What boost levels do you usually see? 13-20psi

3 - How long are your MAFs lasting? have not had one go out in 2+ months

4 - How long have you run Blow through? (kind of the same question as 3..)\ 2+ months

5 - What MAF are you running? z32

6 - Where on the cold pipe is your maf located, how far away from the TB? Is it on a strait peice of pipe? in between the lower and upper cold pipe
Looking For A Holset HX-35