615cc inj stock ecu

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

615cc inj stock ecu

Post by rn240sx »

stock ecu, stock maf with 615cc inj and it starts up easy & idles PERFECT at 14.7, under LIGHT boost it dumps fuel 10's ... and bogs out....
swapped out the ecu for another stock ecu, same stock maf, 615cc inj, same results...
stock ecu with another stock maf, 615cc inj, same results ...
stock ecu with z32 maf and 615cc inj, same results ...

Standard speed cruise its sitting between 15 and 14 .... The second i attempt to go into boost or give more than like 10% throttle, wideband reads 10 and engine says NO ...

JWT ecu programmed for 615cc inj with Z32 maf, finally fires over after about 5 attempts & runs extreme lean 19.9 and idle is **** and have to keep hitting the gas pedal to keep it somewhat alive ... Sent ecu back to jwt, checks out ok ... ?!?!?! whatever ...

Fuel pressure is 37 psi with vacuum and 46 psi without vacuum AT THE FUEL RAIL INLET after the 300zx fuel filter...
Pulled fuel line from rail and put into a 16 oz bottle and did the prime up & it filled it 75% of the way so the fuel volume is there from the Walbro 255 ..
Injectors were sent out for possible CLOG due to running E85 for several years (BACK TO 93 OCTANE) and all 4 came back CLEAN .... what a SHOCK ...

So now i am clueless as to WHY THE ***** this engine is running at 14.7 at idle with fuel injectors that are more than DOUBLE the stock size... Especially when they are flowing properly ... and there is NOTHING to do any kind of fuel correction or injector correction..
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: 615cc inj stock ecu

Post by NukeKS14 »

Have you pulled codes on the ECU? curious if it reveals anything. I suspect you have a vacuum leak. Do a boost leak test. I'd start looking around the intake manifold. could be a cracked gasket, hose, etc.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

NukeKS14 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 pm Have you pulled codes on the ECU? curious if it reveals anything. I suspect you have a vacuum leak. Do a boost leak test. I'd start looking around the intake manifold. could be a cracked gasket, hose, etc.
all ecu codes are emission related, no vacuum leak, no cracked gaskets, no boost leaks... nothing wrong with the intake manifold.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

That's strange. What you're describing is textbook IM leakage; runs lean at idle under vacuum (sucking extra un-metered air in=>lean) and rich under boost (letting metered air out =>rich).

Not to challenge you but, how do you know there is no leakage? you did a boost leak test and it's good?
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

JWT ecu programmed for 615cc inj with Z32 maf, finally fires over after about 5 attempts & runs extreme lean 19.9 and idle is **** and have to keep hitting the gas pedal to keep it somewhat alive ... Sent ecu back to jwt, checks out ok ... ?!?!?! whatever
That's why I thought your idle was lean...

(edit) I see you deleted your reply... I'm trying to help but it's hard to follow what you're saying apparently.(/edit)
Last edited by NukeKS14 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Who flow tested the injectors? did they give you a before and after sheet?
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

NukeKS14 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 pm That's strange. What you're describing is textbook IM leakage; runs lean at idle under vacuum (sucking extra un-metered air in=>lean) and rich under boost (letting metered air out =>rich).

Not to challenge you but, how do you know there is no leakage? you did a boost leak test and it's good?
The maf is about 12 inches from the intake manifold, its a blow thru setup. It sits where the oem battery location is .. vacuum reads 24 inches. Doubt there is a vacuum leak at the manifold ... there is only 1 pipe between the maf and the throttle body ...
Its highly doubtful there is a leak ...
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

NukeKS14 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:49 pm
JWT ecu programmed for 615cc inj with Z32 maf, finally fires over after about 5 attempts & runs extreme lean 19.9 and idle is **** and have to keep hitting the gas pedal to keep it somewhat alive ... Sent ecu back to jwt, checks out ok ... ?!?!?! whatever [/quote

(edit) I see you deleted your reply... I'm trying to help but it's hard to follow what you're saying apparently.(/edit)
I am remembering another setup i tried that made my **** run RICH 10s at idle ... thats why i asked where you got lean from ... disregard that message that i deleted, that setup didnt work lol ... it made it worse ... my mistake lol
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Marcus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:50 pm Who flow tested the injectors? did they give you a before and after sheet?
a local marine shop, the ONLY place i could find locally that was able to do side feed injectors. And yea they gave me the before and after sheet.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

rn240sx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:54 pm The maf is about 12 inches from the intake manifold, its a blow thru setup. It sits where the oem battery location is .. vacuum reads 24 inches. Doubt there is a vacuum leak at the manifold ... there is only 1 pipe between the maf and the throttle body ...
:shrug: well then say that. "I don't think there is a leak." You can guess or you can be sure...

I'm talking about a cracked IM gasket allowing your engine to suck in unmetered air after the MAF, and allow it to escape the manifold under boost. It's happened before. Stock intake manifold has 2 that could fail. or a leaky EGR blockoff, hose to your PCV branch, etc... Just because it draws good vacuum doesn't tell you anything about the integrity of the manifold and its associated piping.

You can do a smoke check or you can do a static boost leak check in the garage to rule it out. Just tossing in my $.02 what your symptoms sound like.

Or don't.

We only know what the problem isn't at this point.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

NukeKS14 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 pm
rn240sx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:54 pm The maf is about 12 inches from the intake manifold, its a blow thru setup. It sits where the oem battery location is .. vacuum reads 24 inches. Doubt there is a vacuum leak at the manifold ... there is only 1 pipe between the maf and the throttle body ...
:shrug: well then say that. "I don't think there is a leak." You can guess or you can be sure...

I'm talking about a cracked IM gasket allowing your engine to suck in unmetered air after the MAF, and allow it to escape the manifold under boost. It's happened before. Stock intake manifold has 2 that could fail. or a leaky EGR blockoff, hose to your PCV branch, etc... Just because it draws good vacuum doesn't tell you anything about the integrity of the manifold and its associated piping.

You can do a smoke check or you can do a static boost leak check in the garage to rule it out. Just tossing in my $.02 what your symptoms sound like.

Or don't.

We only know what the problem isn't at this point.
If this was an IM leak then it would run lean with the stock ecu as well ...
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

rn240sx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Why do you think that it ISN'T running lean? because your AFR is stoich?
stock ecu, stock maf with 615cc inj and it starts up easy & idles PERFECT at 14.7
THAT is lean. Your injectors are over 2x stock size that your ECU is programmed for. You SHOULD be pig rich. You aren't. You're overcompensating for the vacuum leak by dumping in way too much fuel => stoich.

It's ok. I get it. You're not going to do a leak test. I'm not going to postulate ideas until I find one that makes you feel good about yourself; I'm dealing with experience and facts based on the information you provided.

I'm not asking you to go out and spend money shotgunning a solution; I'm advocating a logical and fact-based approach to confirming or ruling out symptoms that would provide a path for the resolution of your problem.

Keep throwing parts at it instead of performing symptom elaboration for free. I don't have a hidden agenda or ulterior motive here. I'll be out enjoying my weekend. :auto-layrubber:

Best of luck. Hope you get it figured out.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

:violin:
NukeKS14 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 pm
rn240sx wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Why do you think that it ISN'T running lean? because your AFR is stoich?
stock ecu, stock maf with 615cc inj and it starts up easy & idles PERFECT at 14.7
THAT is lean. Your injectors are over 2x stock size that your ECU is programmed for. You SHOULD be pig rich. You aren't. You're overcompensating for the vacuum leak by dumping in way too much fuel => stoich.
That explanation makes sense now.. thats all you had to say at 1st... EXPLAIN to me why you think its a vacuum leak and so that it can make sense as to why i am experiencing this ...
It's ok. I get it. You're not going to do a leak test. I'm not going to postulate ideas until I find one that makes you feel good about yourself; I'm dealing with experience and facts based on the information you provided.

I'm not asking you to go out and spend money shotgunning a solution; I'm advocating a logical and fact-based approach to confirming or ruling out symptoms that would provide a path for the resolution of your problem.

Keep throwing parts at it instead of performing symptom elaboration for free. I don't have a hidden agenda or ulterior motive here. I'll be out enjoying my weekend. :auto-layrubber:

Best of luck. Hope you get it figured out.
That attitude was un called for. A good teacher or mechanic would explain in detail why its acting the way it does, not say, hey im the big mechanic here and i say your problem is this ... then when the customer questions your answer or counter acts with another question, you cock an attitude and shut the door ..

All you had to do was explain to me WHY you think its an IM leak .. in a fashion that made sense to me so that i can look into it ...

Here is my attitude, if that offended you, i am sorry you feel that way because you came on wrong with your "its an IM leak, take it or leave it" ...

But thanks and i will look into the IM leak ...
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

rn240sx wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:32 am A good teacher or mechanic would explain in detail why its acting the way it does, not say, hey im the big mechanic here and i say your problem is this ... then when the customer questions your answer or counter acts with another question, you cock an attitude and shut the door ..
You need a reality check man. You're on the internet asking for free help fixing your car because you cant figure it out. My attitude isn't "Here's your problem; take it or leave it." My attitude is, I can't help you if you're completely and utterly un-receptive of guidance for no reason I can understand, aside from being stubborn. Don't pretend like you were asking questions about how could it be the intake manifold. This is a 2-way street.
no vacuum leak, no cracked gaskets, no boost leaks... nothing wrong with the intake manifold.
You didn't say it doesn't make sense or how could it be that. You flat out claimed that wasn't the problem from the get-go. I asked amplifying questions to find out if you'd actually tested it or how you KNEW before moving on from there. If you were skeptical then say that or ask the question. Don't just dismiss advice, freely given, because my post count is lower than yours. I'm some dude on the internet. I have no problem explaining my thought process if that's your issue.

I genuinely want you to get your car fixed. Why else would I spend my time offering to help? If I hadn't asked, several times, about how you knew it wasn't the intake manifold, you'd be chasing your tail in another direction right now. I'm definitely not here for the cuddles. If it takes me being real with you to get you to perform basic troubleshooting to fix the problem on your car... :violin: Hate me while you're out driving it.

I'm not being rude to stoke my ego. I was polite and informative while you continued to say 'No.' up to a point. If you are skeptical ask a question. Take a little ownership though, brother. I will too. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Okay so the one that sticks out for me is changing from stock mafs to z32 and same result with same ecu and same injectors. So two things keep coming to mind. Open loop and closed loop circuits. Perhaps do a voltage or resistance check on the tps if you haven't yet.
IIRC supply shouldn't be a problem as being shared with dizzy, etc.

These getting older sucks. Knock sensors cracking, wiring gremlins, wiring specialties wiring your harness pinned wrong at the eccs relay ***** burning up the ground in your stock computer but I digress.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Marcus wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:04 pm Okay so the one that sticks out for me is changing from stock mafs to z32 and same result with same ecu and same injectors. So two things keep coming to mind. Open loop and closed loop circuits. Perhaps do a voltage or resistance check on the tps if you haven't yet.
IIRC supply shouldn't be a problem as being shared with dizzy, etc.

These getting older sucks. Knock sensors cracking, wiring gremlins, wiring specialties wiring your harness pinned wrong at the eccs relay ***** burning up the ground in your stock computer but I digress.
Every sensor has been pulled, tested, some replaced, and the wiring from the sensor harness back to the ecu all come back good. continuity is there. Even the sensor's tested while the engine is on a cold start to fully warmed up, all sensor readings (as they change as the engine warms up) are within the FSM specs ..
While listening for that IM leak, i can hear a hiss over the manifold but that same hiss sound i hear went i put my head over the cold pipe ... Its not a LOUD hiss but its noticeable when you listen for it. If your not listening for it, you won't hear it.
That same hiss sound is there whether the idle is rough at 19 afr and 20 inches of vacuum or smooth at 14.7 with 24 inches of vacuum after the engine is fully warmed up ...
Sometime today i will go get some carb cleaner and start spraying the IM for leaks ...
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Can you link me to your build and perhaps history of old setup to new setup.
High impedance injectors?
Changing mafs and no change sticks out to me to hunt in that area. Changing to a z32 mafs should drastically change things.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

built motor, turbo, had JWT ecu with Z32 maf (blow thru) and 615cc side feed high impedance for a several years. No issues.
Then went with a stock ecu, stock maf with emanage blue piggy back for a few years for better fine tuning. No issues.
Then one day it was running really rich under idle (11's afr) on cold engine, after it warmed up fully it would run fine at 14.7 ....
After some messing around, i found that within the emanage programming that the MAF was "changed" to a 300ZX N62 (while running stock MAF) which i sure as hell did not move it to or change it but it was there and no matter what i did, it would default back to it. So i got another emanage and put in the stock S14 MAF in the programming but still had the same rich 11's afr on cold engine but as motor warmed up, the afr would lean out to 14.7 ... So it was NOT the emanage that was the issue. Then i thought it was the ecu so i got another stock ecu and same issue ... rich on cold engine and 14.7 after fully warmed up.
So i removed the stock ecu and removed the emanage and pulled out my JWT ecu and put in the Z32 maf and cranked her up. LEAN 19's on idle with mis fire upon cold engine, then as engine warms up, it leans out to 14.7 ...
SO i put the stock ecu on with stock maf with 615 inj thinking it would be rich as hell and it was NOT ... it was 14.7 on cold start and stayed that way even after 20 minutes of driving as long as i didn't go above 10% throttle ... if i did, it would DUMP fuel and bog out with NO boost ... I drove for days around the city with the stock ecu, stock maf and 615cc inj and it drove like a dream as long as i didn't go above 10% throttle ... very odd ..!!!
Swapped out that ecu for the other stock ecu and same thing. Drove just fine as long as i stayed UNDER 10% throttle ... If i went above 10% throttle, the wideband would go 10's and the engine would literally say NO, no boost, nothing ... just engine died like your going past the 115 mph mark and the ignition cuts out ... The speed limiter cut ...
Put back the jwt ecu, z32 maf and it runs LEAN at idle until the motor warms up then its in the 14.7 ... I have NOT tried to go into boost with this setup yet.
I just did an Intake manifold leak test and i found a dry rot vacuum cap under the throttle body ... replaced it and now its leaking at the throttle body pulley where it holds the throttle cable and cruise control cable ... its leaking from the center shaft but nothing major. But i don't think thats a big enough leak to cause the afr to drop into the 19's from 14.7 ... Other than that all the other vacuum caps and vacuum lines look new from 2004 ... I even waited till the engine fully warmed up when the afr got back to 14.7 and pulled a vacuum hose from the manifold and it dropped to the 16's ... I mean to get into the 19's from 14.7 that has to be a pretty big leak IF its a leak after the maf ....
As of now, i crank it up, it runs 14.7 for about ~8 seconds, then dips into the 13's for about 5 seconds, then sweeps to the left and drops into the 19's and start to mis fire here and there .... STAYS there until the engine warms up, then it slowly raises up to 14.7 and stays there .... Even after putting in that new vacuum plug, its still the same way
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

How did you wire the emanage in to your harness? Did you use crimp splices? cut/solder? You had to cut the signal wire from the MAF to the ECU and wire the emanage in series right? So is the emanage being left installed while you're swapping ECUs? (looks like you said you removed it) if not, are you jumpering across the emanage harness plug or how are you accounting for the emanage being removed? If you've just pulled the emanage and swapped ECUs without doing anything else, the ECU is not going to be getting a MAF signal. Could be one of your wires came loose here initially too. Didn't recall reading you'd gone through your wiring harness.

(Some post I used to figure out how the emanage is wired in to a 240)

I'd disconnect the battery then ECU and perform a continuity check from the ECU harness (pin #47) and the white wire on your MAF plug (pin #1 on that harness) The pic below is out of the 97' 240 FSM and shows the ECU and MAF pinouts at the bottom. View is from the harness side.

IF that checks out...
Do you have access to an OBD2 reader? I scanned the >>eManage<< user manual and didn't find it shows much information from the client console end. If you can plug in a basic OBD2 reader and scan your sensory inputs with an app like torque or something similar, we can start gathering data from the ECU side and half-split.

Does your TPS show linear response throughout its operation range? What's the computer seeing for coolant temperature and is it accurate. Don't think it's a knock sensor because that'd pull timing and make it run rich. If it's not a vacuum leak, then something is universally screwing with your VE/ign table inputs. ECU uses TPS, MAF, CTS to name a few for input references to those tables.

Swapping the MAF and ECUs doesn't yield a change, may be another sensor or wiring issue that could be narrowed down here.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

I spent over a week going thru EVERY sensor in this car, from the MAF, TPS, Coolant temp sensor, IAT sensor, O2 sensor. All sensors were tested while ON the car with it OFF, then tested on a cold start UP to a full warm engine. ALL sensors came back within parameters ... All wires were tested for continuity from the sensor harness itself back to the ecu pin ... All sensors were tested AT the ecu from a cold start all the way to warm engine... The wiring and sensors are all GOOD ..
On the emanage the only wires that it intercepts is the MAF and ignition. The maf it interepts to compensate for the larger injectors by "reducing" the maf voltage from the maf to the emanage to make the ecu THINK it has less air flow so it does not trigger the injectors as much. The ignition so that you can retard or add timing. Other than that, it just piggy backs the TPS and the injectors.
Yes i have done the OBDII scanner and all it picks up are the emission garbage that i removed back in 2004 ... When i do a ecu reset, it clears and takes a few days to re-register those same codes... And yes i know the ECU uses the MAF and coolant temp sensor upon cold start. Yes the AF voltage is within spec of a cold start and the coolant temp sensor readings check out upon cold start all the way to warm engine... EVERYTHING works at is should ...
Yes the TPS has a gradual increase in voltage as the pedal is pressed. Its not jumpy.
I did find that one tiny vacuum leak at the bottom of the throttle body and the throttle body pulley which neither should have that much of an effect to lean out the mixture from 14.7 down to 19's ... Once the engine was warm, i pulled a larger vacuum line and the afr didn't drop below 16 ... and that was a larger leak.
The wideband sensor was changed, MAF changed, Coolant temp sensor changed, ecu swapped, emanage swapped, injectors cleaned and verified good, fuel pump has pressure and flow, that minor vacuum leak was fixed ... still same issue ...

I don't know what else to tell you ... Cold start 14.7 ... then mid 13's ... then lean to 19's ... stays there until the engine is fully warmed up somewhere around ~180F ... Then the bi*ch richens up to 14.7 .... WHY ..?? I DON'T ***** NOW ... LOL
If i didn't love this car so much or put so much $$ into it ... i would have SOLD IT already ..
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

What all did your sheet show on the injector cleaning?
I know you probably did, but the injectors ohm'ed out within spec too?
Perhaps check the voltage at them too.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Marcus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:53 pm What all did your sheet show on the injector cleaning?
I know you probably did, but the injectors ohm'ed out within spec too?
Perhaps check the voltage at them too.
He said upon initial testing of all 4, they all passed with ease and flowed what they should. He did the cleaning anyway and got them to flow just a bit more but even then, it was not a drastic change. I tested 11 ohms and he got 13 ohms on all four. I do have the paperwork which confirms what he told me.

The injectors are CLEAN ... I have 35 psi fuel pressure at fuel rail inlet with vacuum at stock FPR, pull vacuum from the FPR and it goes up to 44 psi, the fuel volume is there, i can prime the pump and it fills up a 16 ounce bottle 80% of the way.
The way i see it, the injectors are not getting the proper fire from the ECU or the timing is OFF from the ECU because it runs perfect once the engine is warmed up ... I pressurized the Intake Manifold and engine to 20 psi and i didn't hear anything other than the throttle pulley which was faint, that can't be enough to lean it out that much ...
My brain is tired and i am out of ideas .... LOL ....
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

How are you removing the emanage from the equation? Have you tried unplugging it and jumpering the ignition and maf signals at the emanage plug?

I saw you'd replaced it with a different one but did you transfer the 'tune' over to the new one? Could be a setting in there? You mentioned the n62 maf setting changing on its own. Corrupted file perhaps. I would eliminate it as a variable by just removing it from the system and returning then maf and ign control to the ecu.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

The emanage wiring was removed from the ecu harness completely ... Just leaving the harness from the engine bay going direct to the ecu.

Yes i replaced the emanage with another used unit. There was no tune to transfer over as i dont have a tune. It was street tunned so i basically added the fuel where it was needed in the table and pulled timming ... Just enough fuel to keep the wideband in the mid 11's .. And the tune that you are referring to does not have the maf selection in it, its just fuel and timing.
The maf selection is within the emanage program itself and the newer emanage DID accept the stock maf and it did get my idle back to 14.7 and i was happy until i tried to go into boost which is did NOT happen. Wideband goes rich into the 10's and motor is like .. NO .. This happens after i go past 10% throttle. So i logged back into the emanage and the fuel is correct and the timing is right so its not that. Swapped out the ecu only, same issue.

So bottom line is this:
Stock ecu with stock maf with Emanage it runs clean 14.7 all day long ... but i can't go past 10% throttle ...
JWT ecu with Z32 runs LEAN at idle until it warms up then runs clean 14.7 but i have not tried to go past 10% throttle yet ...
I am just mentally stressed with this car to the point that i dont want to keep looking or even drive it anymore... Sure i will calm down in a day or 2 but for now, im tired and need to clear my mind. But if you have anything else ... fire away lol
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
Guard1an86
NooB

Post by Guard1an86 »

Any update on the issue ? Have you verified fuel pressure under load ? Voltage as well ? Possible failure of the second emanage ? And do you know why the first emanage failed ?

-Mike
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

Guard1an86 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 am Any update on the issue ? Have you verified fuel pressure under load ? Voltage as well ? Possible failure of the second emanage ? And do you know why the first emanage failed ?

-Mike
I dropped the emanage blue and went back with the jwt ecu. I read about the air flow manipulation to compensate for larger injectors and how that affects the timing charts, while its ok with low boost around 5 psi, anything higher can cause serious issues.
Otherwise the same issue, cold start till about 175F coolant temps, the idle is lean and jumpy. Once the coolant goes past 175F, the idle smoothes out, runs perfect and wideband goes to 14.7 like a damn switch was thrown .... then the car runs as it should. Vacuum gauge reads 22 inches the whole time.
At this point im over it, i dont know what else to do
OnTheChip
240sx Wannabe

Post by OnTheChip »

It could be an injector latency issue. At idle, the latency is a large portion of total injector pulse width.
When coolant temp reaches 175F, ECU goes into closed loop and short term fuel trim adds fuel.