Age old distributor off a tooth issue

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Age old distributor off a tooth issue

Post by R34SR »

So this problem has plagued me for too long, I completely dismantled the front cover ,oil pan etc to tackle some leaks and re time the engine ...even used a degree wheel to check valve opening times. slapped her together and no matter what I do she has to be either very advanced or retarded to time correctly.

My question is simply this:

Does it matter anymore when using an aftermarket ecu such a megasquirt where you can simply correct the trigger offset angle and lock in the commanded timing correctly? Because this is what I have done.

I don't know how this happened if the friggin lower chain skipped a tooth on startup, because everything was perfect when I timed it
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: Age old distributor off a tooth issue

Post by NukeKS14 »

if you are using cop and aftermarket ecu, no it doesnt matter.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

I suppose after sleeping on it though, I realize that if the distributor refuses to go in at the correct orientation while the crank is at tdc....it must mean that the idler gear is off a tooth. I'm gonna pop the valve cover and upper timing cover and if it's off a tooth I'm gonna try the old trick of moving the idler gear over a tooth without removing my freshly sealed timing cover.

Been doing ka stuff so long, I'm ready to play with a different motor.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Rechecked my timing....everything is spot on exactly where it's supposed to be..counted the links, counted the pins...you name it....at tdc everything is perfect... I know the photos show the dots not lined up on the colored links but that's due to the rotation and amount of times I've started the motor.... Don't know how many rotations it would take to line up.

So why the hell is my distributor maxed out advanced or retarded to get 20 degrees....this is with me locking the timing in megasquirt to 20....and I shouldn't have to touch the offset angle because I know my motor used to command 20 degrees with the current offset angle of 345 that it's running.
What's also wierd is that the compression is 120 on all 4....with 9:1 pistons and 272 cams cold.....I used to get 150 on all 4 cold....but that's when I had rotated.the idler one tooth....which dosent look like I need to based off this pic.

What compression do you guys get on a cold motor with low comp pistons and 272 cams?
Attachments
IMG_20200804_165716__01.jpg
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well I confirmed that my timing was mechanically sound....and ended up adjusting the trigger offset angle until I could get the distributor bolt centered and commanding 20degrees.....in the past I never had to do this ..but the results speak for themselves.....she's finally feeling like fast car ..all my afrs have leaned out so now I have to retune everything....but she's fixed.

Lesson is to trust your timing marks and the fsm....adjust your trigger angle to get desired results.

Hopefully I'll have a virtual dyno for you guys soon....and by you guys I don't know who I'm referring to since nuke seems to be the only person here...what happened to tiny? Kfred? Supa?
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Just me haha. Ill compare. Running the 264 bc cams and upgrading to a full race mani soon. Changing from .83 to .78 A/R exhaust and twin scroll but keeping the S257 Sx-e compressor side.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Ive been watching your dyno thread....the setup youre about to do is exactly what I wanted ...that Borg Warner looks badass....but I bought this holset brand new years ago and I figure it's time I use it.... Can't say I've seen many people running an hx35 with .63 backend ...if it can get me 380whp I'd be pretty happy...for a little while 🤣. So let's just say I'm excited to see how your fullrace manifold and that Borg Warner does.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Its tons of fun with the current housing. I did z32 diff and J30 axles recently so everything but my transmission is up to the task. Might as well shift the power band to the left. I'll hit you up with the compressor maps and wastegating numbers I ran for the .78 A/R housing but, I SHOULD be able to pull 10 psi by 2250 RPM with the new setup and carry 20 PSI through 7k RPM without dropping below 70% compressor efficiency I think it was..i plotted the new ceiling at 28psi/7k RPM before i went into choke but it goes down to mid 60% comp efficiency. This should be the perfect setup for road course/auto X and ~500 whp on e85 is my max hp goal.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Sounds like a solid plan, I can't run e85 because I often leave the car sitting for months when I go to work, so I'm limited to 93 and I often use boostane when I tune to the limit which makes a massive difference. My injector seal started leaking now at 15psi... Gotta address that , I also am running my 3rd sr20 tranny which is def a weak link...I run j30 diff and j30 axles...the ratio is a bit tall tho...I hit 100 mph on 3rd gear pulls , and I'm about close to 80% duty on my 750cc injectors....Ned some ID1050xds
It never ends 🤣
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25