Destroyed thrust bearing

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
odienez11
NooB

Destroyed thrust bearing

Post by odienez11 »

I have a ka24de that I have torn apart right now after having it in the 240 for about 3000 mi. Thrust washer on the center main bearing is destroyed as well as the crank. I did use the clevite bearings that are oversized thrust bearings and have text records of me asking my machinist to make sure that the crank would be ok with that size and he confirmed. He balanced the crankshaft as well as grinding and polishing. Is there anything that could have caused this other than bad machining?
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: Destroyed thrust bearing

Post by p00t »

I remember my machinist grinding either the crank or bearing down because it would not fit. I don't remember which. I used Clevite's also.

He noted it when measuring everything up before the crank went back in.

I guess the answer depends on if that interference was cleared up before everything went together.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
odienez11
NooB

Post by odienez11 »

Just found pilot bushing not seated all the way in the crank by a good bit. Relatively sure that us the cause now. I did not remove it and assume my machinist did while balancing and grinding. Should I try to get them to help fix it or is it on me for not checking the pilot bushing?
odienez11
NooB

Post by odienez11 »

Also do yall think my block is toast? Crank hit the block and some damage occurred but it is not where the bearing actually seats in the block and new bearing seems to fit correctly

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VHE9GGtFHM5agjMv6