New Member from MO

Introduce Yourself Here First!
DADS240SX
NooB

New Member from MO

Post by DADS240SX »

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum. I've inherited an '89' 240SX that is surprisingly good condition. I'm in the process of mulling over whether to keep it or sell it. If I decide to keep it I will want to upgrade the performance (looking to make about 300whp) which would include adding a turbo to the stock engine. I suspect if I do this that the engine will likely need to be overhauled/rebuilt first. Although I have never driven one of these prior to 2 days ago, the engine feels sluggish to me which might due to compression issues (the odometer reads 58K miles but I believe it to be broken). I'm going to drop it off tomorrow for a state vehicle inspection and ask them to test the compression on all 4 cylinders. Also, the clutch is slipping somewhat and it seems really hard to put it in first gear (compared to my GLI).

The 240 SX was my dad's car that he purchased new in 1989. He did almost all the maintenance to it and was very meticulous with its care but he had fallen ill in recent years and it looks like some issues developed in the interim. For example; there is a hole about the size of a softball through the passenger floorboards at the rear door side seat (Where it is fastened down). Also, the HUD does not work but I remember him complaining about that years ago and never finding a satisfactory fix.

My experience with engine repairs is limited to a 65 Mustang that we rebuilt over 20 years ago and upgrading a turbo inlet pipe to a 2019 VW Jetta GLI and adding a piggyback performance module.

This looks like a big job. Although I have limited experience I do have tools, a place to work, and a lot of time on my hands with no pressure to complete the project within any particular time frame. I'm also not opposed to bringing in professionals if or when it's called for.

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: New Member from MO

Post by NukeKS14 »

Welcome to the forums. Didn't realize you were nearby. I'm just outside Olathe. Get some rust converter on that passenger front strut tower before the cancer grows! Beautiful car though, and 2 tone to boot!
240drew
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: New Member from MO

Post by 240drew »

Welcome man haven't been on here in probably 4 years good to see the forum is still somewhat alive. Ton's of good information unfortunately photobucket broke literally everything.
Cars
1996 240sx KAt28- Sold
1992 240sx RB20- Sold
1995 240sx RB25neo- Sold
1993 240sx 2jzgte- Sold
Current:
2006 Toyota Tundra
1995 240sx 2jzgte BWs366