Headlights not working--PLZ HELP!!! I'M PUTTING MY HAIR OUT

Discussion on Turbo electronics including Boost Controller, Turbo Timers, WideBands, etc
AFKOUKI
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Headlights not working--PLZ HELP!!! I'M PUTTING MY HAIR OUT

Post by AFKOUKI »

Car is a 98 Kouki. HID low beams, factory high beams, and factory fogs. I didnt install the HID setup so I dont know anything about it. But I was going down the street tuesday and my lights flickered. Hmmmm... I said. Hope that doesnt happen again. But it did, and a third time before they went completely off.
So I hit my high beams and drive home with them on thinking that the in line fuse thats on my HID set up is blown. I get home and look at it, and the fuse is kinda hanging out and I notice some corrosion where you insert the fuse. I also at this point noticed my passanger high beam is out. I swap the bulbs, and the passenger bulb is good. :x
So yesterday after work I bought a test light, a new fuse, and some electrical connection cleaner. I clean the fuse insert, and put in a new fuse. Still A no go. Then I replace the relay for the HID's, again no change.
So I take a ride to the parts store and try in a new headlight relay (one in underhood fuse box) and it didnt fix anything. Also checked fog fuse, and it is good.

So here is where I am. I have one working ligh light-drivers high beam. Side markers and tails still work fine (so switch is good?). I dont know much about electronics, so Im pretty much stumped. Any help would be so nice. I need my lights working!!
Last edited by AFKOUKI on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Either the ballasts or bulbs are out on the HID kit. Try disconnecting the low beam harness from the HID kit and plug in bulb into low beam harness to see what happens.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

I figured they were not out due to both lights going out at the same time, and my fog lights are out. Not connected to the HIDs at all. Worth a shot though
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

Unless the fog lights are not coming on because the low beams are not getting a signal....
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

AFKOUKI wrote:Unless the fog lights are not coming on because the low beams are not getting a signal....
Yea forgot about that. I would try a regular bulb to just to get it off the list. Then you know it is something more deeper. Issues could be the cluster switch. Dirty contacts.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

I believe its the relay. If I jump it and apply 12v to the ballasts the headlights kick right on. If I plug it into the relay, I dont get any power out. Thanks for your help supakat!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Sounds good. Go to the junkyard and raid relays.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

ugh still not fixed. I replaced the new relay, and still a no go. I pulled everything apart, and the red wire with blue stripe to the headlight is not getting power. The one to the marker light is. Luckily the plugs are exactly the same. I unplugged the marker light and plugged that into the headlight, and they come on. I traced the lack of power all the way to the colum. So I ordered a new stalk from rockauto, should be here very soon. For the meantime I have the marker light plug plugged into the headlight so I can see going to work in the morning. Still no fog light and only one high beam.
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

The frustration continues. eplaced the stalk today with a new one ordered off rock auto, and still no lights. Maybe someone here can help. Here is the relay in the hid wiring.

I have a ground, 12v constant, a wire to the fog lights, and one to the balasts. If I apply a direct 12v to the ballasts I get headlights, and same for the fog lights.

Ground is in the back, on the left id 12v from battery, middle is to the balasts, and left is to fog lights. Is this correct?

Also, the headlights and the marker lights have the grey pulg on the back to suppy power. If I swap the pass. marker light with the headlight, the headlights work, but no fog lights.
Plug is in bottom of pic. I am not getting power to the red wire with blue stripe on the headlight. I went to the switch directly, and with lights switched on, only one red with blue stripe gets power?Image
^ 2 red with blue stripe. one with power and one without.

I am stumped now guys. Anthing you might think is causing this, please help!!
AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

edit: relay wiring is as follows back is ground, right is 12v, middle is to ballasts, and left is to fogs
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1998/

Doesyourcar have daytime running lamps...i.e. a canadian model?
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

When looking at that relay you have it is a single switch relay, you cant have have fogs and headlights hooked up to it that way.

85 and 86 are for the internal coil to switch on the relay. 87 and 30 are the switched side (like a light switch).

I'm not sure what that relay is for? do you still have the factory fog light relay in the fusebox? You shouldn't have to do anything weird for your fogs.

If it is for the HID you should tie the relay into one of the low beam wires, lets say red with blue stripe. Take that wire and put it to terminal 85 on the relay. Take terminal 86 and put it to ground. Take a fused connection (30A fuse) right from your battery terminal and run it to relay terminal 87. Take relay terminal 30 and run it to both of your ballasts.

EDIT: edited for bad reading skills
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022