what are u guys doing for cooling?

All about Road Racing/Autocross/Drifting. If this is your gig, then post about it
gold zenki
240sx Wannabe

what are u guys doing for cooling?

Post by gold zenki »

Hey I posted this before but want to get this to the right crowd what are u guys doing for cooling ? Who's running a/c as well and does anyone daily as well? Rad setup as well as intercooler placement and fans thanks a lot!![/list]
Vas
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Vas »

i have a stock ka24de with a 2871r, bottom mount mani, 550cc injectors, enthalpy tune and z32 maf.

i run a stock radiator and no thermostat with flex a lite fans.

i have a/c and this is on a caged track car.

I have never had a single cooling issue.

i also daily my car.
gold zenki
240sx Wannabe

Post by gold zenki »

@Vas thanks for the full description broski. And I know u lol previously with the stock as Fuuu s14 clutch kicking PBIR lol
Vas

Post by Vas »

haha, yeah, ive moved on since then for sure
gold zenki
240sx Wannabe

Post by gold zenki »

@vas lol Yup I know bro car looks pretty sexxy and 4lug FTW! Lol herd about the sponsor good luck bro :)
Vas

Post by Vas »

thanks man
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

so who has made cooling panels to funnel air through their intercoolers/radiators
im considering doing this since my setup is running a little hotter that im used to as n/a

i was going to make some panels out of corrugated plastic sheet for the radiator support to bumper, sides of radiator support to bumper and another panel to replace what im told was a stock cooling panel under the radiator support back about 6-8"

going to see how that helps, then if i need more ill make additional panels to funnel from the intercooler to the radiator.

need to hack up my stock fan shroud to work with the dual core radiator as well, its about 2" to long now and sits too far over the clutch fan
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
icnuthin
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by icnuthin »

I'm trying to play arounds with cooling options myself.
I run a t3 topmount 63 trim
550cc injectors
I run ac and is my daily
Koyo rad with now altima fans. Before I had just flex-a-lite fans
Mishimoto 60c therm with new water pump and fliptop rad cap
With ac off it is at a stable 160-165 in 98f heat. Louisiana south humid
With ac on it will go over 200. Prob I had with the flex fans is when I get on the interstate it will heat up to 195-200 with ac off. Then I did altima fans and it stays cold.

I'm just trying to find a way to stay cooler in the car while car stays cool too.
I ran a Kawasaki bike fan in front of my condenser for when ac is on so will it. It helps but still goes up. Now if it's 80 outside, with ac on temp will stay around 175

What I wanna play around with next is 2 Isis fans with stock shroud and a new clutch fan. Last track car I had I put one e fan and shroud and clutch fan and for drifting and autox it stayed under 195 and cooled down very fast to 175 in a matter of 30 second of just crusing in 2nd gear at 3k rpm
myowncasualty
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by myowncasualty »

i dd my s14.

koyo rad w/ flex-a-lite 220's
stock thermostat
air diversion panel from grill top to rad support
stock air diversion panel under motor, reaches to front bumper
custom aluminum panels on the sides of the lower grill behind the headlights

highway or city driving in 110ish weather I run about 170-190 w no a/c on.
a/c on city gets up to 220ish
a/c on highway 190- 205
95 240sx ka-t > SOLD
08 Evo X MR > New daily/ fun
icnuthin
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by icnuthin »

I wanna work on more venting and panels
all shal perrish

Post by all shal perrish »

i USED to dd my car, and i run a civic half core radiator, with a pusher and a puller fan, ive never had one single issue with temps in traffic or on the freeway, i have my fans turning on at 180 deg in aem and turning off at 175 so they do a pretty good job of keeping the motor cool in traffic..

i no longer dd my car, but have no issues with cooling with a half core radiator
www.autovaughnperformance.com

NISTUNE EXCELLENT TUNING AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE (pm with questions regarding)

I AM ON THE HUNT FOR JWT CAM GEARS..
if you have some, pm me
car6on14
240sx Wannabe

Post by car6on14 »

I have a koyo rad w/ there dual elect fans and shroud w/ a stat to turn the fans on around 180 and off at 170. I was running no stat in the eng. I was fine on the street, and got hot after an 30 min on the track on rly hot days... i just rebuilt and will be trying a punched out stat in the eng to slow flow alil and a vented hood.

Crazy to hear that a half civic rad could handle that kinda heat load man.
92 Coupe - forged internals - stage 2 cams / ss valves
Aem Series 1 - Billet 50 Trim - ram style manifold- Aero 340
Hydro Ebrake - JSK coilovers - ISIS Rucas - Hicas rack - Ksport BBK
Master blaster
Learners Permit

Post by Master blaster »

If you're on a budget just keep the stock rad. Then get some maxima fans, a Billion brand stat & lower you're antifreeze mix ratio, to like 60/40 or 70/30 during winter. Water is the best cooling medium, all you need in the summer is pure water with water wetter or any reputival brand of racing cooling additive to prevent corrosion & slightly lower the surface tension of the water.
Oh! & don't forget to pick up a high press. Rad cap
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

why change the pressure of the radiator cap? it breaks open at a certain temparature for a reason.
Last edited by beercandrifter on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

beercandrifter wrote:why change the pressure of the radiator cap? it breaks open at a certain temparature for a reason, to suck in cool water from the overflow tank.
How does it suck water in when the water temp is so high?
It opens to relieve pressure and pushes water into the overflow tank. That's why it's called an overflow tank.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

you are right and im full of misleading info today.

question still remains though, why would you want to raise the pressure of the radiator cap. you want the hot coolant coming out at a certain point, its a failsafe for overheating the engine to some degree, no?
body80
240sx Wannabe

Post by body80 »

beercandrifter wrote:you are right and im full of misleading info today.

question still remains though, why would you want to raise the pressure of the radiator cap. you want the hot coolant coming out at a certain point, its a failsafe for overheating the engine to some degree, no?
If you increase the pressure you increase the boiling point of water.
A higher boiling point means it can absorb that much more heat before things go crazy.

It helps mainly with FL summer heat and on the race track. Not a huge help in normal driving in cooler weather.

But personally it's a $8 300Z turbo rad cap. Why wouldn't you just throw it on for good measures.
Jeff
boosted93

Re: what are u guys doing for cooling?

Post by boosted93 »

Im running a CX (ebay) radiator.. I was VERY impressed when i got it.. it wasnt all cheaply made and falling apart like some radiators ive had before.. for fans I went with the Ford Taurus (there said to be better then the altima and cheaper in most cases) its a 2 speed fan and you can get them from any 90-95 taurus with the 3.5 motor (i think maybe 3.8)