shift's build-that's wassup

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: shift's build-that's wassup

Post by shift_down »

I am now having overheating issues. I thought I was the only 240 owner that would be able to get away with this, but it looks like I was wrong!

I discovered that my car was low on coolant, so I did some investigating. I saw a big puddle of water under my car, which naturally means I have a leak somewhere. I couldnt find where it was leaking, so I pulled my radiator out and plugged all the ports on the radiator and filled it with water. There was no leaks that I could find.
Interesting...
So I put the radiator back in, and filled it up and let it sit over night. It leaked out a little stream under the top radiator hose and I could easily see the stream because it was frozen lol. It is about 21F in oklahoma.

So I concluded that it is hopefully just the top radiator hose that is not on correctly.

On another note:
It takes about 30 minutes for the car to warm up appropriately enought for the heater to blow hot air.
The radiator is always cold
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by signals13 »

Do you have silicone hoses? Lol are you running just water?
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

When you say it takes 30 minutes to warm up / the radiator is always cold...... is the upper or lower hose hot? if the hoses aren't warm after about 3-6 minutes of idling to warm up the engine you have to start by replacing the Thermostat, if that doesn't fix your issue then you are having an issue with flow. Now the question begs to ask is whether its your water pump going bad or a clogged radiator. If the hoses aren't warming up then it's your water pump not moving fluid thru the engine/radiator. If one hose is getting super hot and the other is not, then it's time for a new radiator...... don't rev the engine, just let it idle. even in your chilly weather up there, you'll be able to tell in about 10 minutes what's going on.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I was running anti freeze and water, same issues.
I am running silicone hoses.
When I say it takes 30 minutes to warm up, I mean it takes 30 minutes before the heater will blow warm air. The hoses are never hot, they are cool to the touch. And the radiator itself, is also cool to the touch. The temp gauge will eventually move up in between hot anf cold as if it is at normal operating temp, but i dont know if i trust it.
I removed the radiator cap when I was bleeding the system and let the car run for about 15 minutes, and the water coming out of the top of the cap was always cool.

I think what I will do is flush the radiator and change the thermostat once it gets warmer outside. It is about 3* F in Oklahoma right now.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

not to be a smarta$$..... you did install a thermostat when you built the engine didn't you?? That or the thermostat has failed in the open position. Most newer thermostats are designed to fail in an open position. There are still some OE thermostats that don't (General Motors and thank God we aren't driving them) but if the none of the hoses are warming up after 5 minutes of idling, then I would start by swapping in a new 190* thermostat. It will cost you $15 at the local parts store and take all of 20 minutes to change. Thermostats are design to slow the flow of liquid thru the engine so the fluid can scavange the heat from the block and head. If the fluid isn't being slowed down then it will not allow the engine to run at operating temps and cause some of the issues you are discribing.

The other issue that will cause this is still the Water pump, but it easier to start with the thermostat. If the fins on the Water pump have wore down due to age it will not be able to move the fluid efficently, but your hoses should atleast get alittle warm since the fluid would sit inside the engine and warm up making the thermostat open warming the upper hose..... Since you are getting "some heat" after a very long time (30 minutes) AND the hoses aren't getting warm the water pump still concerns me. Radiator being clogged is not an option anymore if neither hose is warming up.

I feel for you in the 3* weather.... you must have sent some of it to Jacksonville, FL cuz its 38* right now and it AIN'T suppose to be cold in FL.... :violin:
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

btw..... try this before I forget. Take a piece of cardboard the can cover up HALF the radiator between the AC condensor and radiator. make sure you move it to one side of the radiator so air can flow across the other half. See if this helps out.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

My motor is all stock, so I don't even know if there's a thermostat even in the car. I was thinking about that possibility actually, maybe the previous owner took it out? I am going to stop by advanced auto or NAPA and pick one up. I will probably change it out tomorrow.
Hopefully it is not a water pump issue, but if it is, it will be no problem for me to change it. It will be easy since I am not running a clutch fan. At least it is not connected to the timing mechanism like my honda is; that was a pain.

I will post my results.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

signals13

Post by signals13 »

Sounds like a lot of fun for you lol good luck with the swap hope everything turns out good.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Yeah, a thermostat or water pump swap shouldn't be too difficult; not nearly as bad as changing the oil pump, hah
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Hah ya, I would hate doing the oil pump.

This is the OEM Nissan:

The rubber is cracked everywhere, maybe letting water flow through? I got another one from Autozone iIddon't know how much Itrust it tthough.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Yep.... I'd say it's bad
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I changed it out and bled he sysem. The car still overheats. I'm going to bleed again later. If it doesn't solve the prblem, I am going to check the oil and compression.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Are your fans running when it overheats?

Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

Wait a minute.... I don't recall you stating it was overheating. Your original issue was it takes 30 minutes before it warms up then it never really blows warm air into the car. You also stated the hoses and radiator never get hot/warm. They are always cool to the touch.

NOW that you replaced the thermostat it's over heating? Is it still taking a long time to get warm or is it warming up in about 5 minutes now? Is the hoses/radiator getting hot now or are they still cool to the touch?
signals13

Post by signals13 »

These dang cars have a ridiculous way to bleed the air in the system every bit of air needs to come out you might still have an air pocket. I dislike Vatozone thermostats I have had nothing but bad experience with them.
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

There are only 3-4 actual manufacturers of Thermostats period. Buy a Stant and call it a day. Safe bet and will never let you down
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

signals13 wrote:These dang cars have a ridiculous way to bleed the air in the system every bit of air needs to come out you might still have an air pocket.
^I know you probably already know this, but I'll say it anyways.... Coolant swirl/breather tank helps solve this problem,plus it makes it so much easier to bleed the coolant system. About $80 for all parts needed.

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I bought a stant thermo.

My original problem was that my car overheated one time. So I checked my coolant, and it was empty. I pulled the radiator and checked for leaks and found a leaky hose. So I decided to change the thermostat since I had everything apart, and I was having warm up issues anyway. I bled my system for 30 minutes, until no more air bubbles were coming out of the bleeder screw hole.

I can have the car idle forever and not over heat, but once I drive a couple blocks, it over heats.
The bottom hose still doesn't ever get hot. The car takes about 7 minutes to warm up in the freezing cold, so I guess that's not bad.

So now I believe my over heating is due to air bubbles. I'm not 100% sure though.
One fan is always on.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

If one fan is always on and you're showing that you overheat (don't recall that being posted) then check to make sure the coolant temp sensor is plugged in fully. It maybe defective OR you could have a blown HG. You originally stated that it took forever to warm up and both hoses are always cold. If one is now hot and one is cool then the new thermostat is working as it should.
The pic you posted is obviously bad. Now we need to start tracking down the next issue
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

have you checked the water pump belt/ pulley?
The water pump pulley could be slipping under load, for instance when you drive it around. Then maybe it regains grip when the car is stopped and idling?

500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

this is the reason why I am freezing my ass off everytime I drive my 40. I could not get the damn thing to bleed had the front end jacked to the moon with everything and could not get a simple air pocket out and I wasnt going to ruin my new engine b/c of a 15 dollar thermostat. so I chucked it. Never gets above 140 on a 80 degree day.
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
signals13

Post by signals13 »

I have had that issue before, sounds to me like you definitely have an air bubble. 1)Make sure the car is on a level surface. 2)You can put a funnel in the radiator when you fill it (I don't). 3)Remove the bleed screw. 4)Start filling until you see a steady stream of coolant coming from bleed hole. I usually keep filling while putting bleed bolt back on. 5)Turn car ON. Set the climate control all the way to HOT and fan on Max. 6)Remove funnel if used, continue to fill radiator until topped of. 7)Wait and watch until the thermostat opens. 8)If t-stat opens you have succeeded (if not repeat from step 3) now put the radiator cap back on and fill the coolant overflow and drive of into the sunset :-) good luck.
Altima-DET
240sx Wannabe

Post by Altima-DET »

+1 one that post. No need to jack up your car and do all sorts of crazy ****. If you do what signals said and top off you reservoir you won't have air pockets. If you DO get an air pocket it will work itself out in a day or so. As the car cools down it will naturally create a vacuum effect and draw and additional coolant need from the rez....
neverlift

Post by neverlift »

when you pull the rad cap with the engine running does it try to bubble out? I've seen bhg do tiny bubbles as well as big bubbles with a very potent gas smell.

Sounds like you are leaking pressure to the cooling system. Its an aluminum head so if it overheated the head is probably warped. Could be a nasty air pocket though.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Just take out the darn t stat and see if it still over heats. You just decked the head and installed a new gasket. Issue could be that the head was decked before and you did it again and now compression raised and you need better cooling. I run a gutted tstat. It has enough restriction to warm the car up and not over heat.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I was thinking of just cutting that valve off the stat and drilling a couple holes to help out a bit.

I only overheated for a mile, so the head should be good. I really think it's a cooling problem that has issues to do with air in the system. I am going to compression test. If compression is good, I will bleed again. Then I will drill the stat if all else fails.

It had been below freezing Herr for a couple weeks now, so I haven't been able to do much work.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

I know supa does the hole drilling thing with his thermo...
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

have you checked to see if the belt i slipping on the water pump pulley???

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

cleantune wrote:have you checked to see if the belt i slipping on the water pump pulley???
I checked this today, everything seems good.

I finally had time to work on the car for about 30 minutes. I turned the car on, unscrewed the radiator cap and bleed screw, drove to an incline, and let the car run. I opened up the heaterto full blast, reved the engine, and topped off the resevoir. I kept adding fluid through the rad as fluid got dumped out the bleed hole. I repeated this a few times.

I then noticed that fluid would come out of the resovoir and out the bleed hole and rad cap, which I liked. I kept filling the resovoir until it was full, then closed the rad cap so that fluid could only escape through the bleed hole. Then after bleeding like this, I then topped the reservoir again, and closed the bleed screw and revved the engine some more.

I did not get a chance to drive the car, so I don't know how effective this was.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

signals13

Post by signals13 »

Well I'm not to sure about closing the radiator cap while having the bleed screw off. Hope all works out for you :-).