Cute240sxGuy's KA24DET Build - 91/E85

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Re: Cute240sxGuy's KA24DET Build - 91/E85

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:That's just too weird. I've never seen one look like that. Even stock heads don't look like that. The top surface of the head is still good and flat, right? And I assume the cams spin alright when torqued down? It must have been something that happened when the head was originally cast. I would think if the whole head was warped that much, it would be pretty obvious.

I doubt it will cause any issues, but I can't help but be curious if the volume of that chamber is any different than the others. It might not hurt to check that before you go and throw more.time and money at it.
Yeah everything spun freely and as it should when I would spin the motor before the rebuild. The only thing so far that I could see with the block was that it had HUGE holes on both sides of it LOL. I did not use anything from the S14 motor except the Head, alternator, A/C compressor, and starter. Honestly I did not check for warpage myself after getting it back from the machine shop; They are reputable and do good work so I didn't bother to check. Just kind of figured Id take their word and they would let me know if anything went wrong or something had to be done.

Here you can see from what It looks like in this picture that the chamber was not chipped like that before I dropped it off. I also didn't notice anything like that before dropping it off nor did I notice it when I picked up the parts. Could have happened on the way back from the machine shop, but I doubt it.

Don't pay attention to the red circle, the we're looking at would be the 3rd chamber are.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

But the right side of that chamber looks weird too, and it looks like it was there before they milled the head.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:But the right side of that chamber looks weird too, and it looks like it was there before they killed the head.
Ah did not notice that and will have to double check it. I'd figure the shop would have notified me if the head was in fact not salvageable. I do have an S13 head that looks to be in good condition, however it's been machined before.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:As long as all of your bearing clearances were good and you used assembly line on everything, I wouldn't worry about it. That's normal.
So you've had motors that you couldn't spin by hand after a fresh rebuild? My bearing clearances were good but I'm going to triple check the rod clearances probably this weekend. A lot of the people I speak with regarding this all inform me that you are supposed to be able to rotate the crank 360* by hand.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Well, I've only assembled one bottom end myself, which is the one I'm currently building. The first time that i had the motor built with forged pistons/rods, I had the machine shop assemble the bottom end for me. This time, I'm rebuilding it myself and reusing all of the bearings. After first installing the crank, it spun so smooth and I could easily spin the motor by hand using the crank pulley. After installing the pistons, I really couldn't spin the motor by the crank pulley anymore. However, it spins fine with a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt. I don't think that I actually tried spinning it just by pushing on the crank itself.

Do you have a FSM? There's probably an acceptable torque range for this, although it may only be for the crank without the pistons installed.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Well, I've only assembled one bottom end myself, which is the one I'm currently building. The first time that i had the motor built with forged pistons/rods, I had the machine shop assemble the bottom end for me. This time, I'm rebuilding it myself and reusing all of the bearings. After first installing the crank, it spun so smooth and I could easily spin the motor by hand using the crank pulley. After installing the pistons, I really couldn't spin the motor by the crank pulley anymore. However, it spins fine with a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt. I don't think that I actually tried spinning it just by pushing on the crank itself.

Do you have a FSM? There's probably an acceptable torque range for this, although it may only be for the crank without the pistons installed.
Yeah I have the FSM with me at all times when building. Mine spins fine as well with a socket on the crank pulley bolt :)
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I should have take more pictures of the engine build. Because I'm starting to.doubt myself on a few thing. For instance the bearing tangs should be on the same sides on the rod bearings. For some reason, I keep thing that I might have put the tangs on opposite sides. I also didn't use a tool for.installing the rings and after watching this video from Real Street Performance, I'm think that I should have: https://youtu.be/RouPYsh4d-g
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Also, I have to ask about the username.... Are you calling yourself cute, or the car? In either case.. why? I just wouldn't ever describe my car or myself as cute, so its throwing me off. Lol

I noticed the new Precision turbo avatar. Is that the turbo that you're going to run and if so, what model is it?
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:I should have take more pictures of the engine build. Because I'm starting to.doubt myself on a few thing. For instance the bearing tangs should be on the same sides on the rod bearings. For some reason, I keep thing that I might have put the tangs on opposite sides. I also didn't use a tool for.installing the rings and after watching this video from Real Street Performance, I'm think that I should have: https://youtu.be/RouPYsh4d-g
Honestly I don't think the tangs have to be in a certain direction unless the bearings have holes for oil. Also, it depends on the way you install your rods; that'll have an impact on the way the tangs go. I've always installed eagle rods with the eagle logo facing the front of the motor. Installing the rods this way will have the tangs on the itnake side of the motor. Currently both my mains and my rods tangs' face the intake side. The main bearings tangs will always face the intake side as the block is cutout for the bearing tangs in this spot. You didn't use a tool to install the piston rings onto the piston or to compress the rings to fit them into the cylinders? I didn't use a tool to put them on the piston either, I do have ring pliers but did not need them.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Also, I have to ask about the username.... Are you calling yourself cute, or the car? In either case.. why? I just wouldn't ever describe my car or myself as cute, so its throwing me off. Lol

I noticed the new Precision turbo avatar. Is that the turbo that you're going to run and if so, what model is it?
Haha honestly couldn't think of a username when I signed up on this site and for some odd reason it's the first thing that popped into my head :angel: . I'm not sure if I'm going to run a precision turbo on this setup; it's from my old setup and it was a 5962.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Here was my old setup. Well, both of my old setups lol. I got into this phase where I wanted something "newer" and up to date that still had a turbo from factory. I decided to part ways with my RB25 S14 and get a bone stock Genesis Coupe. At the time it's what I wanted lmao. Anyways, I had the genesis for about 3 years before I decided I couldn't live another day without driving my s14, so that's when I decided it was time for me to move on and purchase another S14! This time, since I've had just about every motor you can put in the s14, I wanted to do the KA since it's the only one I've never really used lol. It just so happens the KA is a beast! :mrgreen:

Mind you, both cars were stock when I got them and of course, I can't keep them stock !

My S14

My Genesis coupe

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Super clean cars
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Super clean cars
Thank you sir.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Was able to get some free time today to do a little bit more on the build. Felpro head gasket went on today along with the ARP head studs.

I ran into a little problem when installing the ARP KA24DE head studs. The very front stud on intake side didn't want to sit as flush as all the others. I have removed whatever I thought could be blocking the threads and have verified that there is nothing in the hole blocking the stud from going all the way in. Has anyone else had this problem? I wasn't able to torque down the head as the 12mm 12-point socket I have works on all nuts/bolts EXCEPT the one which sticks up further. This requires a deep socket 12mm 12-point. :angry-cussingblack:

Also, just to confirm, the felpro head gasket DOES fit w/ .040 OVER (90mm) pistons. The gasket does NOT have any overhang into the cylinders; it fits it perfectly!

Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Had some time to get the timing chain on today. I went with the OSK timing chain kit. It's actually pretty heavy duty and OEM feel. Also in the process, one of my cam bearing caps' bolts snapped when I was torquing it to 8ft-lbs. FSM calls for 6.7-8.7ft-lbs TQ. I'll have to see about removing the snapped off part of the bolt from inside of the head another time.

Don't mind the timing marks

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Cute240sxGuy wrote:Honestly I don't think the tangs have to be in a certain direction unless the bearings have holes for oil.
I checked my bearings and the tangs were on opposite sides. The rods were installed correctly, but I had to swap the caps around 180 degrees. Now they are all facing the intake side and the motor seems easier to spin by hand than it did before.
Cute240sxGuy wrote:You didn't use a tool to install the piston rings onto the piston or to compress the rings to fit them into the cylinders? I didn't use a tool to put them on the piston either, I do have ring pliers but did not need them.
I used a ring compressor to get the pistons in but I didn't have a ring expander tool to put the rings on the pistons.
Cute240sxGuy wrote:Also in the process, one of my cam bearing caps' bolts snapped when I was torquing it to 8ft-lbs. FSM calls for 6.7-8.7ft-lbs TQ. I'll have to see about removing the snapped off part of the bolt from inside of the head another time.
Awe man, that's just bad luck.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:I checked my bearings and the tangs were on opposite sides. The rods were installed correctly, but I had to swap the caps around 180 degrees. Now they are all facing the intake side and the motor seems easier to spin by hand than it was before.
Were your caps on the wrong way previously? The caps must face a certain way onto the rod and there are usually markings on the sides that mate up. Usually a number that both pieces will share in common and they need to on the same side. Make sure yours are correct before torquing everything down. These markings don't apply to ALL rods/caps but a majority on the market are this way.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I don't know if they were or not. That's one thing that I didn't pay much attention to when disassembling the motor. I didn't know that about the numbers. I'll check that out tomorrow.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:I don't know if they were or not. That's one thing that I didn't pay much attention to when disassembling the motor. I didn't know that about the numbers. I'll check that out tomorrow.
Yes definitely make sure the caps are on the correct rod and on the correct way. Which rods are you using? Now as far as the rod tangs go, it should matter which way they face as long as they are seated in the cap/rod correctly; it really all depends on the way you install your rods. For example, on eagle rods they stamp their eagle log on one side and this side I face towards the front of the motor, it just so happens doing it this way for me ended up with my rod bearing tangs on the intake side.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

They're Eagle rods. The caps are definitely on the correct rods. I kept them together when I disassembled the motor. I'm just not completely sure which way the caps were installed originally since the bottom end was assembled by the machine shop the first time. I'm pretty confident that everything is correct with the bottom end aside from the orientation of the caps/tangs. I'll check for marking on the rods tomorrow.

Your build is coming along nicely. I don't think I've ever seen that issue with the one head stud not going in all the way. Did you run a tap down through it?
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:They're Eagle rods. The caps are definitely on the correct rods. I kept them together when I disassembled the motor. I'm just not completely sure which way the caps were installed originally since the bottom end was assembled by the machine shop the first time. I'm pretty confident that everything is correct with the bottom end aside from the orientation of the caps/tangs. I'll check for marking on the rods tomorrow.

Your build is coming along nicely. I don't think I've ever seen that issue with the one head stud not going in all the way. Did you run a tap down through it?
Yeah definitely check it out tomorrow. If you installed your rods with the eagles pointing the front of the motor, then your tangs should be on the intake side.

Thank you sir. Yes I was able to get a tap down there and clean it out nicely; also used some Qtips. I stopped right when the cam cap bolt snapped off lol. I was only at 8ft-lbs TQ! I usually only work on the motor during the weekends but I may make an exception this week so I can get it done sooner.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Got a few more things done today. I was able to remove the snapped off section of the cam cap bolt from the head today, got the camshafts in, and was able to get the upper timing chain on. What I did to get the snapped off par was to drill a hole down the center of it, got a torx bit slightly larger than the hole I drilled socket with an extension, and was able to hammer the torx bit in carefully through the hole I drilled causing the teeth on the torx bit to grab the bolt. I was then able to loosen the bolt until it came right out.

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Nice recovery.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

SoundEfx wrote:Nice recovery.
Thank you sir! It def was a close call lol. Glad I got it situated however.

Update: I have removed the s14 232 intake came and will be replacing it with the s13 248 exhaust cam.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Front crank oil seal came in along with the clutch pedal spacer I was fortunate to find! I'm using the s13 clutch pedal which doesn't have the spacer spot-welded to it like the s14 clutch pedal, as its spot-welded to the firewall on s13. In order to use the s13 clutch pedal on an s14 chassis you either need to make 30mm spacers or find the OEM spacer lol.

OH! And I may have purchased my coilovers :). I went with Fortune-Auto 500 series coilovers with 7/6kg spring rates as this is my daily driver. Paid $1150 shipped to my door. These coilovers do have an estimated 3-4 week wait/build time as they are built-to-order.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Nice! I've yet to ride in a car with those coilovers, but I hear nothing but good things
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Nice! I've yet to ride in a car with those coilovers, but I hear nothing but good things
They are fantastic! I can't stress this enough. This will be my 3rd set of these coilovers for the s-chassis and I wouldn't have gone any other way! They are absolutely superb for daily driving as well as track use. I opted for the 7/6kg spring rates as I will be daily driving this car. If you were close, I'd let you take her for a spin :mrgreen:
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

Was able to work on the motor of a bit today. Installed the s13 248 exhaust cam today, got timing setup, and painted the upper and lower front covers.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Nice. Are you using VHT engine paint? I had my front covers painted with the VHT aluminum colored paint last time and it held up real well. But I bead blasted them this time and I don't think I am going to paint them. I'm worried that grease smudges might be harder to clean off, but time will tell.

I should be catching up to you real soon.
Cute240sxGuy
240sx Wannabe

Post by Cute240sxGuy »

adamky wrote:Nice. Are you using VHT engine paint? I had my front covers painted with the VHT aluminum colored paint last time and it held up real well. But I bead blasted them this time and I don't think I am going to paint them. I'm worried that grease smudges might be harder to clean off, but time will tell.

I should be catching up to you real soon.
Yeah I'm using the VHT high temp engine paint & primer. I chose to do the block in VHT hight temp gloss black and the timing cover/cam cover in aluminum finish. I'll more than likely be doing the valve cover in a textured black however I may try the gloss black as well.