Datsun 510 ka24det

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
TwoDoorDime
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Datsun 510 ka24det

Post by TwoDoorDime »

I figured id post up some pictures about my beater 510. Ive owned this car for many years and just tinker with it on and off. Its on its 5th motor in my 12 year ownership. Only 1 of the motors popped the rest i just got bored and started tinkering again.

Anyways basic run down is:

197x 2 door 510 (don't remember the year) - $Free
s13 ka24de - $400 complete swap
Ebay manifold $69
MS2PNP - $800
Wideband $Free
2005 STI injectors $Free
Intercooler and piping kit off ebay $200
Radiator $200
Turbo $85 new off ebay
Small surge tank in the trunk with a high volume low pressure pump feeding it and an 044 feeding the engine. - $200 (pieced together)

The car went on the dyno last night and unfortunately the clutch wouldn't handle more than 38% or 48% throttle (couldn't hear what the tuner said). Slipping started at approx 3600rpm and was completely gone by 4000rpm. I didn't pay attention to HP but letting off around 4000 with whatever throttle percentage he told me the car made 212wtq. Anyway, ill shut up and just post pics.

Once i get a new clutch and up the fuel pressure ill get it back on the dyno and post graph.
image4.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image0.jpeg
Attachments
image1.jpeg
Youtube Channel Second Chance Builds
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: Datsun 510 ka24det

Post by NukeKS14 »

Nice! Not sure if you have one picked out already but I like my white bunny clutch setup a lot. I'm up near 400 ft/lb currently, zero slippage and excellent street manners.

ISR fuel pressure regulator has been working well too. Not sure what you're looking at there either. 50# base pressure was about all I really dared to run my sidefeeds at.

I bet that's a lot of fun with your chassis though.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Thank you for the feedback on the white bunny, that is probably what i will go with! 400ftlb is awesome!

As for ISR i initially had their 750cc injectors and one was stuck open brand new out of the box. It filled crankcase with fuel and locked up the motor, i am a little hesitant to purchase any more of their products. I have an aeromotive left over from one of my Rx7's and may use that since my FD is down.

The car is pretty fun even with a messed up clutch, on the street it moves pretty good. I cant wait to turn up the boost!
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

That sucks about the injector. Aeromotive > isr hands down.

There are a few choices on the competition clutch white bunny kits or you can piece your own together if you want a lighter flywheel.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Which one did you use?
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Their stage 4

Fairly close to stock with way more grab. That thing is downright cush compared to the fidanza and ACT 4 puck unsprung combo i ran on my first s13.

Its a complete kit, flywheel clutch disk plate throwout bearing and pilot bushing. I believe i snagged mine from enjuku on sale for less than 400 shipped.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Well if yours is holding with that much power ill go ahead and order it now. 400ftlb is more than i plan on making! thanks!
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

With the added power i decided to upgrade the brakes but refused to give up my 13" SSR's. Called techno toy tuning and got their 4 piston wilwood kit as well as their adjustable t/c rods (not pictured).

Also, I am already over the ebay turbo manifold, for $70 i cant really complain but the ports arent even the same shape as the ka's and its cracked twice already. "Already" meaning i built this ka-t set up over the last 2-3 months or so and it got dyno'd 3 days ago. So i got a d-i-y manifold and started working on it.

Just for kicks i also added a picture of the car 8 or so year ago with my sohc ka-t and silly sized intercooler.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Tig looks pretty good for diy. Did you purge the chamber with argon too?

Also where'd you get the diy kit from? JGS used to be our go to.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Its a mazworx kit, still listed on their site for $139.

I cant take credit for the welds. I got it off offerup from a guy who started it but didn't finish, I will post up once I finish it for everyone to judge.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

yeah sweet manifold! last pic makes me miss my single slammer turbo. she'll be mean when you get it done. I am aiming for 500hp echelon so I got their stiffest clutch. Their lower tiers I think are rated to hold varying levels of torque and are softer still. Not sure what the final intended setup is going to be.

Did you do anything with your MBC? Is the pedal engagement about the same? I'd imagine you've got a lot more volume to push. Unsure what options are on the 5n'dimes but may be in your interest to slightly downsize the bore on your MBC if brake pedal function has become stiff.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64264 If you want to see the dyno from Friday.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

I did not touch the clutch master, its stock 510. My old red 510 was also dohc ka swapped and had some aftermarket 6 puck clutch, possibly ACT but its been years since i owned that car. Anyways, the pedal feel was pretty good even with that clutch so hopefully this one isn't too bad.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

My old ka24de daily driver. Swapped this car from stock motor/trans to ka24de in a weekend and then drove it daily for 2-3 years before selling it due to crappy life circumstances.
image0.jpeg
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

TwoDoorDime wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 pm I did not touch the clutch master, its stock 510. My old red 510 was also dohc ka swapped and had some aftermarket 6 puck clutch, possibly ACT but its been years since i owned that car. Anyways, the pedal feel was pretty good even with that clutch so hopefully this one isn't too bad.
Mbc. Master BRAKE cylinder. For your new 4 pot calipers.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Ah, glanced right over that one. Nope stock master, i don't feel any difference in pedal feel from before. Usually on 510's you can play around with the fronts a little without too much pedal feel change. Of course if people feel the need to change 280z fit and i believe early 200sx fit. Both have different bores from 510 as well as eachother.
TwoDoorDime

Post by TwoDoorDime »

Got a new Competition Stage 3 clutch installed and took the car out for a shake down run. Put about 100 miles on it, runs good but not much power at only 5.5 psi (wastegate spring). I cant wait to up the boost a bit and get the car moving. I posted a little video on my youtube page if anyone wants to see the car moving. I still need to take it back to the dyno and get it fully tuned since we weren't able to go over 3800rpm ish without the clutch letting go completely.

https://youtu.be/4cHaTP-f2xo
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

This site hates my home IP address for some reason. I sent a PM your way about tuning MAT density correction for more consistent AFRs. Wouldn't let me post it here from home, I'm on my phone at work ATM.

Best of luck at the dyno. Its much more fun being able to actually put the power down, isn't it?

Here's the gist of what i sent; FWIW my IAT sensor is in the elbow on the cold charge pipe where it connects to the intercooler.

This is the default MAT compensation table. Set it to 100% for the IAT you're tuning the VE table for, you'll have to start with a flat line for a range of temps, I just set the whole thing to 100% while I tuned and then based on IATs from my logs, scaled it from there. Mine is 100% from 88-93F because IATs varied between about 87 to 94ish F when I tuned in my VE table. As you go outside of that temperature range, adjust your MAT compensation, colder denser air gets higher % (therefore more fuel) and hotter air gets scaled to lower density-(smaller %, less fuel.) The general shape will look like this but less aggressively sloped usually, depends on the location and environment. General consensus on the Miata forums is that it's usually more aggressive in HOT dry environments like Arizona/NM so you'll probably get away with a bit less of a slope like me.

I spent a while chasing my tail on this. If you get this slope off or just lean on the default one, it'll add too much fuel when cold and lean it out too much when hot. EGO can work around this to some extent but... I do instrumentation and control for a living so I'm pretty retentive about this stuff. DO NOT USE THIS TABLE TO TUNE OUT HEATSOAK. It's just to give you more consistent AFRs for varying weather conditions. I rescaled my air temps too from 0F up to 130 because at 120F IATs on pump gas I start to pull some heavy timing out. I'm in Kansas, I will NEVER be seeing -40 air temps or anything close to 200.

I realize you're heading to a tuner but, I'm guessing like 99% of people don't mess with that. So your car will be tuned great at the temperature at the time it's getting done but you'll have some AFR variations any time IATs differ from the tune conditions. Like I said, EGO can sort of deal with it but... why not just do it right? You'll have to establish this table over time as you can drive the car in different conditions (cold mornings, hot afternoons, etc... to get the breakpoints and percentages just right), but, hey, now you know how to do it.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation. Your tuner my not want to mess with this table. It's 'good enough' in base form but, if you see AFR variations after the tune, you'll know why so I'd HIGHLY recommend getting logs from the tune or at least recording what the computer was seeing for IATs in case you want to adjust this down the road. Otherwise you'd basically be creating a new VE table any time IATs change and you use autotune, or relying on EGO correction to tune out the error for you.