KA24 Headwork/Portwork pics flow numbers posted page 3.

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

what ever happened with this?
ka-torqy
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ka-torqy »

EFFIN UPDATE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............PLEASE DONT LET US DOWN BY NOT FINISHING THIS THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

+1 anything?
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

optimism lol. he threw this thing in the trash a long time ago
Salvarath
Learners Permit

Re: KA24 Headwork/Portwork pics

Post by Salvarath »

It's been years, where's the update, this needs to happen badly!
thegr8one013
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by thegr8one013 »

cant wait to see some flow numbers!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It's been over 4 years since he posted an update. I'd say this project is dead...
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

I don't mean to hack on anybody, but this head looks like it would not be a big power adder. In fact, I would be money this head would loose power compared to a factory head. CFM is not the only thing that matters when porting a head. Velocity is what actually fills the cylinders.

But it flows good on a flow bench you might say. We aren't racing flow benches. In fact, I think I will start a new thread concerning head porting. I have done a lot of research into head porting and am getting ready to start porting on 2 spare heads. One of which is an experiment that most people anywhere will say wont work. I just need to buy another 240 to experiment with or a local engine dyno to get hard numbers. I would prefer an engine dyno, but would love an excuse to have another s chassis around.

I will try to update this post with a link to the thread I am starting.

EDIT: CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW THREAD!
Steve.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

ICEMAN.KCMO wrote:I don't mean to hack on anybody, but this head looks like it would not be a big power adder. In fact, I would be money this head would loose power compared to a factory head. CFM is not the only thing that matters when porting a head. Velocity is what actually fills the cylinders.

But it flows good on a flow bench you might say. We aren't racing flow benches. In fact, I think I will start a new thread concerning head porting. I have done a lot of research into head porting and am getting ready to start porting on 2 spare heads. One of which is an experiment that most people anywhere will say wont work. I just need to buy another 240 to experiment with or a local engine dyno to get hard numbers. I would prefer an engine dyno, but would love an excuse to have another s chassis around.

I will try to update this post with a link to the thread I am starting.

EDIT: CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW THREAD!
Dont even try and start betting anything about comparison to a stock head. i would bet you have no idea what youre talking about unless you have a flow bench. I live on a dyno and have been for the last 8 years. I learned alot from both these heads and all the other heads i've ported. While it didnt perform like i thought it would, I did the work of cutting it apart, analysis of the ports, and full reshaping of ports; and then SHARING it will everybody. While this did result in gains, it wasnt what i was expecting. The cylinder head is bolted on my 7:1 motor waiting to finish the blower side of things.

take this betting **** and shove it up your ass trying to sound smart.

You motivated me enough to post flow numbers i got for the heads 4 years ago. both tests 28" both tests WITHOUT pipe on exhaust side.

My old 230hp na/ka head flow (which picked up 25 over a stock head)
Intake lift"-------Flow Exhaust flow
.05 43 27.7
.1 89 72
.150 124 108
.200 160 132
.250 191 152
.300 218 170
.350 237 179
.400 248 183
.450 255 186.2
.500 262 189
.550 266 189

Blower application port cylinder head pictured in this thread

Intake lift"-------Flow Exhaust flow
.05 44 39
.1 89 83
.150 129 129
.200 167 160
.250 201 180
.300 223 194
.350 240 203
.400 255 209
.450 266 214
.500 277 216
.550 284 217

CNC ported B series race heads 5 years ago best you could get was 285. Nowadays you see 315-330 cfm through the intake. K series are through the roof and a ka head will never meet those. Vavle angles are junk in these heads.

If you want to look at some other people sharing PROVEN ideas from people with flow benches and dyno's there' ALOT of pages to look through http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... p?t=129971
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

First let me thank you for the extensive cutaway pictures of the head. That has been a big help for me to decide what I was going to do with mine. I do appreciate the time you took in sharing the pictures. The goal of that was to help the community, as was my post.

I know it took a GREAT DEAL of time to do the work you did, but as you said, it did not pay off like you wanted it to. With my new thread, my goal is to make a central resource for someone wanting to port their head, but don't want to put weeks upon weeks of research and multiple failed attempts on several heads just to give up on it in the end. Its isn't about having the biggest ports going into the engine. There a lot more factors that play into port design. Pressure waves, velocity, turbulence to keep the fuel suspended in the mixture.

I have been doing a lot of research on head porting when I came across this thread. I noticed you had not posted here since 2009. I had assumed you completely gave up and moved on to something else and was not going to post your result.

Not I have not had a chance to read through the link just yet, but I will and post back here when I do.

EDIT: that is 239 pages. It will take a little time to raff through all that.
Steve.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

start from the end and just look at the pictures

invest in some of the pourable urethane they are using to mold the runners. Be able to pull out the mold and see what the air sees.

Do you plan on flowbenching any of your attempts? I too built a diy flow bench and found no real useable/repeatable data.
Last edited by Greaser on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

One more question, are these numbers at 10" of water or 28"?
Steve.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

28 like the post said
ICEMAN.KCMO

Re: KA24 Headwork/Portwork pics flow numbers posted page 3.

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

just had to make sure.
Steve.
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

I'm seeing a lot of big ports, but I'm also seeing a lot of big valves in there. Like valves 2.3 inch diameter. Those are pretty darn big. The port size has a direct relationship to the valve size. sides, all the port work you see them doing is concentrated more so towards the valves, and not at the intake flange.I'm currently on page 228 and working backwards.
Steve.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

have you noticed what they are doing around the valve guide?

Most of those heads are aftermarket cast/billet with most efficient valve angles, corrected floor/ceiling heights. Yes they are big valve thats not my point. My point is only to review current efforts with current technologies as you are attempting to spread knowledge in your other thread.
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

Greaser wrote: invest in some of the pourable urethane they are using to mold the runners. Be able to pull out the mold and see what the air sees.

Do you plan on flowbenching any of your attempts? I too built a diy flow bench and found no real useable/repeatable data.
I plan on taking my original head to a shop and have it flow benched to as a baseline, and at the same shop flowing it when I am finished. After that I will be using my home build flow bench. I am still not finished with it. What I have now is just what I threw together from some crap I had sitting around. I have a couple furnace blowers sitting around. I plan on making a roll around bench to mount those in, and perhaps some pegboard to mount my manometer to.

My home built flow bench will be used only for watching the changes. I currently have 3 spare heads I plan on working on, Epoxying, and seeing what happens. I plan on flowing and dynoing each head. And the best head... goes on my 13.

I planned on getting some urethane when I started re shaping the port floor/ceiling.

I absolutely love what they are doing with the valve guide. I don't like the idea of cutting down the valve guide to gain a little flow. I would rather have longevity of the head and valve control. The point I was trying to get across is the coloration between valve size/ port size and port velocity. All the incoming air will be moving slower as it reaches the valve. The flow in these heads is going to be found more toward the throat, around where the divider starts.

I would like to do something with the valve guide area on the exhaust side similar to their divider..

Forgive me if I offended you with my original post, I just hate it when somebody does something like this and doesn't post the results, good, bad or abandoned..
Steve.
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WHY THE :angry-cussingblack: DIDNT YOU RESPOND TO THE MILLION POSTS ASKING FOR UPDATES!