New Hardbody KA-T forum section

For those truckers!
klattr1
Forum Moderator

New Hardbody KA-T forum section

Post by klattr1 »

In the interest of many members that wanted a "Hardbody" forum, your wish has been granted.

:)
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

Badass.
I may have to pick one up now. :lol:
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
KLYPH
240sx Wannabe

Post by KLYPH »

Awesome.
I saw a truck yesterday and had a "what if" moment..
julienmark
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by julienmark »

Nitrobanshee
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Nitrobanshee »

Sweet thank you much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
1995 Nissan Pickup truck running Megasquirt V3.0 MSII 2.88 EDIS with a turbo.
Dyno #s 354WHP 381Foot pounds
KA24E-t Power
nismohardbody
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by nismohardbody »

sick guys!!! this is pretty cool! kinda like starting your truck the first time after the turbo build..... i have yet to feel that moment of pleasure tho. :( but wait, whats that in the next few weeks.....it cant be!..... yes, ITS TAX RETURNS!!
1993 hardbody currently ka24e, 5spd, basically stock
ka24et buildup and swap coming this summer
www.nissancustoms.com
JGSturbo
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by JGSturbo »

Time to move the JGS D21 thread.... I have been making progress ;)
It finally has a fuel tank !@#!!!
Getting close to the first test drive.... I'd rather talk about it here than anywhere else.
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index3.html
See our JGS KA-t.org section for lots of good info :)
fivestringslinger
240sx Wannabe

Post by fivestringslinger »

YES!!

Thank you!!! :D
1991 Nissan D21 King Cab, 2WD. KA24E. Future plans: JGS SOHC M-Turbo kit, 240SX intake mani, Eagle H-beam rods, CP Forged 8:1 pistons, stainless valves, NISTUNE...misc other stuff. Target 350-400 RWHP, give or take.
d21det
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by d21det »

Thank you sooooo much. Finally, a forum for performance hardbodies.
nelson240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by nelson240sx »

congrats to all the hardbody guys :D
KA24E-T 06/06 to 10/09 (T25 then H1C Holset) - sold
KA24DE-T 12/09 to 10/11 (T4/TO4E) - sold
KA24DE-T 11/14 to 8/15 (T4/TO4S BB) - sold
SR20DE-T exo-car build 06/13 to 3/16 (EFR6758)
^ now VH45DE-T 6/16 to 10/21 (Billet T04S BB)
^now KA24DE-T 1/22 to current (EFR 7163)
Miata 1.8 turbo 9/15 to 3/17 (VF39) - sold
KA24DE-T build 8/17 to 4/19 (EFR6758) - sold
12.6:1 Turbo KA-T 4/19 to 7/21 (EFR7163) - sold
myka24det
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by myka24det »

what goes up must come down
d21det
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by d21det »

So myka, did you finish it up? What's the outcome?
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: New Hardbody KA-T forum section

Post by motorhead »

This is a guide to building a SOHC hardbody Turbo.

Most of this info also helps if you have a 4 cyl frontier too.This info was gathered by myself and from other members of infamous Nissan and directly from www.ka-t.org this will hopefully assist you all and future members. With a little bit of ingenuity and fabrication skill these little trucks can become powerful street machines, around 350 wheel hp on the stock bottom end is very common and not unheard of in the s chassis world, and our trucks have been blessed with the same motor! What small sport compact can take that kind of strain stock? Not too many! Also, look at how many members here used to have or still have s-chassis cars. These trucks are cheaper to buy initially and easier to find without being beat to crap from “drifting” because they aren’t super popular like the s chassis YET.

if you have a show truck, its awesome to surprise people with the turbo and it looks awesome, especially if you get a polished compressor housing, or some elbow grease and and polishing...

Anyway, enough rambling, heres some info from the ka-t community.
Together we will go through typical setups from mild to extreme to reach the power goals you desire.
If you are using your truck’s existing motor, regardless of the miles or its condition, I would do a simple compression test to the cylinders to make sure the motor is in good shape. These trucks and their motors are tough, so mileage is not a huge concern here, the condition of the motor (lack of oil leaks, good compression) is what matters in my opinion. If you are using a freshly rebuilt motor, that’s even better. Just follow the proper break in procedure.
If you are using a 240sx sohc or dohc ka24 motor, this has been installed in our trucks before, and has been turboed in our trucks before. It is possible. There are some sticky threads about this already. Oil pan modifications and a different dipstick location, cylinder head differences, etc, is about it.
There are several modifications you can do to your truck before you actually bolt the turbo to it and start boosting. If the truck is your daily driver (which I would not suggest, at least have something else to drive in the meantime imo) you can install the 240sx intake and maf (recommended, easier to connect charge pipes, less restrictive), bigger fuel pump, the wideband 02 sensor, the oil drainback hole (you can install it and put in a plug temporarily) and most of the intercooler piping. Also, if you want to rebuild your motor you have to think about running a stronger bottom end with the correct compression.

It should be a prerequisite to have these skills:
Basic tools and knowledge assembling/disassembling motors
Electrical knowledge and soldering ability
Access to someone that welds or your own ability to weld! If you can weld aluminum that will come in handy for the intercooler piping!

These are lists of items that are easily attainable by the average person. All setups should have the Air to Fuel Ratio verified on a dyno with wideband or at very least on a track using an in-car wideband setup (NO watching the standard O2 signal and calling it good). If your using pump gas and seeing air to fuel ratios more lean than 11.8:1-12:1, some rethinking on the tuning/fuel setup will be needed. A narrowband guage(typical A/F guage from Autometer for instance) is not complex enough to be a real indication of the ratios inside your combustion chamber.

Heres some links to some good widebands. These will give you an idea of exactly what your car is doing air/ fuel wise. I run the digital innovate mtx-l and I love it, and it has definitely saved my ass.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTS.php
http://www.aemelectronics.com/digita...fuel-gauge-745
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...rmance/afx.asp
I also run a cheap ass knock sensor gauge tapped in to the stock sensor. If you have an apexi safc2 it has a knock feature so you don’t need this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knock-gauge-...item19d833d61f

with that done, what kind of parts are you going to get?
I know a lot of you want to look real good turboed and show worthy, so here goes- for the manifold, stick to top mount to have clearance. A bottom mount turbo manifold for a 240sx isn’t going to work

JGS makes a great manifold that fits our trucks very well, the downpipe almost works as is, it might need slight modification. This is where I got my oil feed and return lines and manifold. His stuff is great quality
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html
for fancy stuff and fancy intakes and cams you can go to these guys, they know ka-t’s
http://www.ojperformance.com/Online%...cat=836&page=1
now for the cheap stuff that a lot of 240sx guys have had good luck with. The manifold needs some spots strengthened so it doesn’t crack, but its decent. If you run the turbo they supply, plan on buying a quality new or used garret or oem turbo soon-the turbo don’t last long, but the rest of the kit is decent.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-Nissan...3f7d8c&vxp=mtr

as for the intercooler piping, you gotta get creative. I got a cheap set of ic pipes for a 240sx on ebay and cut and added couplers as necessary. Then I found a good but smallish intercooler I could fit in the bumper. Voila.

now lets move on to the builds

Very Mild Build: around 180 rwhp

Turbo Manifold
Blow Off Valve
Turbo (T25)
Downpipe 2.5" is perfectly fine
Pipe to connect turbo to throttle body

Fuel Control:
Wideband o2
FMU (not recommended, but doable) Raises fuel pressure per boost to make injectors flow more than normal.
DSM 450cc Injectors or Comparable (These injectors are low impedence, while the ECU requires high impedence. Making it necessary to wire in resistors to alter that so the ECU can control them. These can be found at places found at the bottom)
Apexi SAFC2
Greddy Emanage

Mild power adder, say you want around 200 rwhp.

wideband 02
Turbo Manifold
Blow Off Valve
Small Intercooler (potentially get away with a side mount)
Turbo T25/T28/14B, etc. Smaller T2 setups. Usually will be internally wastegated.
Downpipe 2.5" is perfectly fine
Replacing the Exhaust is starting to be very necessary at this stage, so I would start to shop for that as well.

Fuel Control
DSM 450cc Injectors
Apexi SAFC2
Greddy Emanage
Back off base timing at distributor or MSD BTM

Average: 300 rwhp to 350 rwhp, you have to start to expect a little more lag. This is about the perfect "street car" limit. No race gas, just good honest street car fun that is fully capable of bring home a 12 second timeslip on a good run.

Turbo Manifold
T3/T04E .50 Trim compressor, .60 trim compressor housing / Stg 3 (aka TA31) turbine wheel, .48 to .63 A/R exhaust housing. External wastegate recommended.
Downpipe can still be 2.5", but this is as far as I would want to push that.
Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) It's time to upgrade to a larger front mount as the larger intercooler will push more air than the smaller intercooler can cool.

Fuel Control
550cc Injectors
SAFC2 to control your fuel injectors, along with the stock ecu.
MSD BTM At this stage I would be running the BTM to control timing retard.
Reflashed ECU-This can be a DIY thing with Eprom Tuning or a JWT. This is the largest JWT is capable of flashing for those that want it.
Z32 Maf is required, as the stock Maf stops being able to read at around 260 rwhp.
Wideband O2 Sensor should be installed for tuning.

Block Internals
This is where I would start to consider it necessary to replace you pistons.

Above Average: 350 rwhp to 425 rwhp

Turbo Manifold
Blow Off Valve
T3/T04E 50 Trim .48/.63 or slightly larger turbo, this is where I would start to make the switch up to an external wastegate. You have the option to reroute it back into the exhaust, or merely "dump" it out into the open. "Dump" is usually a mini exhaust in the form of 1.5" piping routed out to the open.
FMIC Larger is starting to be necessary. Typical for setups from here on, are 12"x24"x3" for the core.
Downpipe 3", at this point I would switch to the larger downpipe. You can probably get away with it at 2.5", but it will be causing a little bit of backpressure. Moving to 3" piping as quickly as possible is what you want though. If you run the JGS manifold you will have plenty of exhaust clearance.
Exhaust 3"

Block Internals
At this stage you'll want to "build" or fortify your block to better handle boost. Previous to this you can walk the line, but here and forward I find it necessary to do so.
Forged Rods
Forged Pistons
Stock Crank
Plus your typical rebuild items.

Fuel Control
Standalone fuel management is recommended at this stage in the game and is absolutely necessary at the next. These allow you control not only very large injectors, but the tuner to have complete control over both timing and fuel.
720cc Injectors.
Wideband O2 Sensor is necessary for tuning.

With that said, here is some links to some more info:
Maximum boost by corky bell. Its old but it’s a great read for turbocharging info.
http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-...ref=pd_sim_b_2

Another turbo book
http://www.amazon.com/Induction-Perf.../dp/1859606911

Jgs turbo’s hardbody truck build
viewtopic.php?t=35770
nis720’s build- sick ka24e running nistune engine management
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ghlight=nis720
bendiesel’s turbo megasquirt hb
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ight=bendiesel
ka-t setups (incuding schmauster’s, a very good time tested daily driven setup)
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23070

that’s it for now. I hope this inspires people to get out there and turbo their trucks! if anyone has any info to add or share please post it up!
. 97 D21 . BELLTECH DROPPED . TORSION BARS .ENKEI'S . AZENIS . TURBO
NYR SCCA MEMBER
FRONTIERonBOOST
Learners Permit

Post by FRONTIERonBOOST »

1.jpg
FRONTIERonBOOST
Learners Permit

Post by FRONTIERonBOOST »

2.jpg