Turbo Questions - 94 D21 4x4

For those truckers!
Chris94
NooB

Turbo Questions - 94 D21 4x4

Post by Chris94 »

I've just started reading this forum. I read the SOHC for Dummies thread.
http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5597

I still have a ton of questions. I've been around cars and drag racing my whole life. I'm 43.

The truck:
1994 D21 Hardbody XE
4x4
Standard cab and short bed
KA24E engine
5-speed manual trans

This truck was purchased used in 1998 with 32k miles. It's been my daily driver up until about a year ago.

The motor ran great until 185k miles. Then the factory original clutch finally wore out. The motor developed a miss about the same time, and a tune-up did nothing to alleviate the issue. I figured it blew a head gasket or had a bad injector.

I found a wrecked 1993. It was the same truck as my 1994, except for a few interior differences. 94k miles. I bought it cheap and swapped the motor and trans. Put a new clutch in at the same time.

I've driven it 40k miles, so the chassis has 226k and the motor/trans has 135k.

It's not a daily driver anymore. I use it for hunting, fishing, hauling wood, camping... whatever. I love the truck and will probably never get rid of it.

I want to buy a block and start a build. I do plan to buy a stroker kit and bore it a little bit. I'm used to small block Chevys and Big block Fords. This Nissan engine is foreign to me. I build drag cars and hot rods with friends and family. I've been around cars, just not been around the imports.

I live in Colorado, so the truck is already a turd, because of the altitude. All the hunting, fishing, camping fun is up at 10,000 -12,000 feet altitude. The truck is REALLY a turd with all the hunting gear and two big ole boys in the cab.

I want more power, but not stupid power. I do want to use a turbo. As I said, I want to add cubes to the base engine. I don't know how much you can bore these engines, and what size pistons are common. Does everybody bore them .020" or .030" or can you go .060" overbore? Its all millimeters when I look at pistons, rods and crank stroke.

My goal is to maintain good reliability while adding a small amount of torque and hp. I'm not looking for 250hp at the back tires. I think this engine was rated at 135-140 hp from the factory. I'm thinking 200hp would be more than enough.

I've found cams and a stroker kit. I can get a 102mm crank kit with rods, bearings, and pistons for about $2100. Let me know if there's a different kit for less.

I don't know a thing about turbos and engine management. Can I build a little stroker with a T25 turbo and a mild cam.... and still use the stock ecu?

I know its not cost effective. I don't care. None of this makes any sense. The motor will be worth more than the truck. I want to build an import engine with a turbo. I've never done it. I like cars. I've been inside plenty of engines, just never one of these little babies.

Can you guys help me out?
I need help with engine management. I don't know the lingo.
I want to do it simple, but not necessarily cheap. It's gotta work and be reliable.
I know I'll need injectors, but I don't want to go crazy. This is intended as a mild build.
I should replace the clutch.
I'll need a better fuel pump.
I need in exhaust header and a turbo.
Do I need a new intake?
I don't want to rig up some junk. I want to do it right. ... just not looking for a race motor. Mild upgrade in cubes and some boost. That's it.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Re: Turbo Questions - 94 D21 4x4

Post by Adrenalin »

Hey,

Not sure many people here will be able to help you out on the stoker kit info for these engines.
I can't say I have seen many people do this to the KA24e or KA24DE.

For your power goals its really not necessary. Save your money and buy a quality turbo and fuel system upgrades instead.
A modest rebuild using std parts and a nominal 8.6:1 - 9:1 static comp with a small T25 turbo and approx 5psi will easily net you your goal. Check out the 'dyno' section of this forum for real world build results from other forum members. Many are good enough to share there parts list or setups as well. It will give a feel for how much boost and mods are required for certain power gains. All relative to parts used, build and tune of course.

Also, I like to recommend a visit to Garrett turbochargers website for people who are new to turbos. They have easy selection tools on their website to help you find a turbo for your application. They also have basic easy to understand tutorials on how turbos work etc for people to learn.

A correctly sized turbo for your application will give you good response, increased low end torque and better breathing at higher altitudes (like you want).

Stick with stock intake manifold, no need to change.
A simple log style exhaust manifold will do you fine.

Check out other members builds for fuel system ideas. Your requirements wont need much extreme for fuel system and management upgrades.

A stronger coil leads and plugs is a good idea to for long term reliability.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135