A Newbie and his '94 Hardbody

For those truckers!
Antipatheia
NooB

A Newbie and his '94 Hardbody

Post by Antipatheia »

So, I've had my lovely little red Hardbody for a few years now, and I've always dreamt of boosting her, so in my impulsiveness I bought this turbo kit and am learning things I hadn't previously considered.

So, I have some questions, and this may turn into a build thread if anyone cares. Unlike my 4Runner, I want to get this one done asap.

Much to my chagrin, when test fitting the manifold I came to the realization that the A/C lines are in the way.

Q&A Section:
  1. How much of a pain in the ass is it to gut A/C?
Looking at various threads around here over the last month or two, I now realize I don't think I saw a single picture with an A/C line in the engine bay. Not that I mind, less is more.

Please be gentle, and thanks in advance. :bowdown:
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Re: A Newbie and his '94 Hardbody

Post by tchida14 »

Reminds me of when i first turbo'd my KA, same red truck with that same manifold! The ac is not hard to take out, just take out what is in the way for a turbo then take out what the hose you removed is connected to (condendsor in front of radiator) and the compressor can also comeout. you will be able to figure it out if you just tear into it and know the parts of an AC system, which you can find online if you need.
Antipatheia
NooB

Post by Antipatheia »

Thanks for the input.

In my free time I had been doing a bit of research and a lot of what I've come across is more about servicing the A/C system and less about just pulling it all out.

I just don't want to blast myself in the face with pressurized freon, ha.
Antipatheia
NooB

Post by Antipatheia »

While I'm doing this whole flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants thing here, I am also working on deleting the EGR bits à la this thread.

This one particular bit I am having an issue with in regards to its necessity.

I pulled it out of the way because the turbo would be up against it once it's mounted on the manifold.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I am uploading photos of this project to an album over yonder on ye olde imgur.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Nice progress. I believe that large thing you took out is part of the egr system and it operates the valve maybe? I think there is a sticker on your hood that shows the parts of the egr system iirc. There should be a metal tube going from the back of the intake manifold, behind the engine, and over to the exhaust manifold. I believe the egr valve is in there somewhere but you can get rid of all that as well, you will have to make a little plate to bolt on where the metal tube did on the intake.
Antipatheia
NooB

Post by Antipatheia »

I was talking to a neighbor about it the other day and basically said all of the same about that. He said he may even have a block off plate for the EGR valve which would be handy.

He also ended the conversation with "If you blow it up, I've got a SR20 that we can cram in there."

Since I had no internet to distract myself with after work yesterday, I was test fitting the wastegate and contemplating the bov an it's eventual installation. I had the wg mounted directly to the manifold, so I'm not sure if I need to get it away from the block. It ends up sitting right above the motor mount.
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

The large diaphragm you took out is actually for the PAIR system. I believe it puts air into the exhaust system to help the cat run efficiently. I still have my hardbody hood sitting in my basement for what ever reason so i checked the sticker.. lol

I have ran my KA with no emissions or even idle control and that is how it will be once i get it fired up soon here. It ran great like that.

The engine will be fine as long as it is tuned properly. that is the biggest thing with a turbo setup, or i should say with any engine that is modified from stock. As for the wastegate, its supposed to be mounted right to the manifold, you don't need to worry about it getting too hot or anything like that, it is designed to take the heat.