Car made 100hp less than it should have

Yup, post them single slammers here....
TylerTJ
NooB

Car made 100hp less than it should have

Post by TylerTJ »

Hello! This is my first post here, but I’ve been looking through these forums for a good while now.

Yesterday, I got my car dyno tuned, and was very surprised with the power it made. At 15 psi, the car only made 225 horsepower. At 15 psi, I was expecting something much stronger along the lines of 300-350, based on many other users dyno sheets.

I am looking for suggestions of things to look for that could be my problem. Spark, fuel, air all good. There are no misfires, and the engine runs really smooth with great oil pressure and no weird noises. I did a compression test a couple months ago before the turbo was installed and everything was good. It still sounds fine and runs healthy enough to make me believe that compression is not an issue. I will check this soon though.

Other than that, I am stumped. Please do drop your suggestions below. Dyno sheet attached

Build list:
cx racing turbo kit
Megasquirt
Dw800cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Perrin boost controller
Wideband
1989 NISSAN 240SX.pdf
(242.78 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Re: Car made 100hp less than it should have

Post by modulation »

1. Have you done a test for boost leaks?
2. What is your spark plug gap?
3. What turbo are you running?
4. What is your timing at 15 psi?
5. At what point do you hit 15 psi?
6. Do you still have cat?
7. DO you have 3" cat-back?

Also are you ka24e or did you swap to a ka24de?
TylerTJ
NooB

Post by TylerTJ »

modulation wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:02 pm 1. Have you done a test for boost leaks?
2. What is your spark plug gap?
3. What turbo are you running?
4. What is your timing at 15 psi?
5. At what point do you hit 15 psi?
6. Do you still have cat?
7. DO you have 3" cat-back?

Also are you ka24e or did you swap to a ka24de?
1. Yes, no boost leaks.
2. .028
3. CX Racing 50mm t4
4. 11 degrees btdc
5. 4500 rpm
6. No
7. Yes

Still the original single cam
OnTheChip
240sx Wannabe

Post by OnTheChip »

You might look into your cam specs. Stock NA cams generally have too much overlap for effective boosted power.
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

I'm no expert at ka24e but from what I remember reading it really needs a cam to get much benefit out of turbo.
I also think it benefits much less from being turbo since it can't breath as well.

The cx turbo might be to blame too, but I'd start with an aftermarket camshaft.
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

While this does seem low, the number is really only for reference only. The graph is the important part.
If the car runs well, and the engine is healthy, it is what it is. What did your tuner say?
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Why not post some pictures of your setup?

Without any other information I would suspect the turbo and wastegate are just not good. If the wastegate is leaking or the turbo is crappy you will have a super laggy system. BOV should be tightened all the way to see if there is a difference and connected back to pre-turbo, post-MAF. How is that shaft play on the turbo now that you have run it in?
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
begoodco5
NooB

Post by begoodco5 »

coinmarketbecame a searcher,wanting to discover who i was and what made me precise. my view of myself turned into changing. i desired a stable base to start from. i commenced to resist3 stress to behave in ways that i didn’t like any greater,and i used to be delighted by who i in reality become. i got here to feel a good deal extra sure that no one can ever take my region.
FoundSoul
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by FoundSoul »

TylerTJ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:35 pm Hello! This is my first post here, but I’ve been looking through these forums for a good while now.

Yesterday, I got my car dyno tuned, and was very surprised with the power it made. At 15 psi, the car only made 225 horsepower. At 15 psi, I was expecting something much stronger along the lines of 300-350, based on many other users dyno sheets.

I am looking for suggestions of things to look for that could be my problem. Spark, fuel, air all good. There are no misfires, and the engine runs really smooth with great oil pressure and no weird noises. I did a compression test a couple months ago before the turbo was installed and everything was good. It still sounds fine and runs healthy enough to make me believe that compression is not an issue. I will check this soon though.

Other than that, I am stumped. Please do drop your suggestions below. Dyno sheet attached

Build list:
cx racing turbo kit
Megasquirt
Dw800cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Perrin boost controller
Wideband

1989 NISSAN 240SX.pdf

You ever get this sorted out man? I'm guessing you're running our MSPNP Gen2 (part# MSPNP2-NS8994) for the 1989 Nissan 240sx correct? It'll definitely do the job nicely.

I think the first question I'd have is 'is the car down on power' or 'does the dyno you were tuned on read lower than the dyno the cars you're comparing to were tuned on'?'. That may not play a role, but it's a fair question to rule out up front.

Was the base timing properly set with a timing light before tuning? That could impact the accuracy of the commanded timing... for instance-- if your base timing was 4 degrees off... that 11 degrees you're commanding at 4500rpm and 15psi might really be 7 degrees at the crank.

Let us know how we can help!
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
www.DIYAutoTune.com
TylerTJ
NooB

Post by TylerTJ »

FoundSoul wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:36 am
TylerTJ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:35 pm Hello! This is my first post here, but I’ve been looking through these forums for a good while now.

Build list:
cx racing turbo kit
Megasquirt
Dw800cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Perrin boost controller
Wideband

1989 NISSAN 240SX.pdf

You ever get this sorted out man? I'm guessing you're running our MSPNP Gen2 (part# MSPNP2-NS8994) for the 1989 Nissan 240sx correct? It'll definitely do the job nicely.

I think the first question I'd have is 'is the car down on power' or 'does the dyno you were tuned on read lower than the dyno the cars you're comparing to were tuned on'?'. That may not play a role, but it's a fair question to rule out up front.

Was the base timing properly set with a timing light before tuning? That could impact the accuracy of the commanded timing... for instance-- if your base timing was 4 degrees off... that 11 degrees you're commanding at 4500rpm and 15psi might really be 7 degrees at the crank.

Let us know how we can help!
Hey, yes that’s the megasquirt i have. Pretty sure the car is actually down on power. It feels like 220 and not 350 like what most other people are getting at my boost level. Yeah, the timing is correct. It was verified at 10 degrees locked, and my tuner slowly increased the timing up top until it made less power and then backed it off a bit.

Really not sure what’s going on. The car has been running pretty good ever since, but i’m definitely craving that missing power. Not sure if it’s just a junk turbo or what, but i wouldn’t expect it to make that huge of a difference. It spins nicely and has very little shaft play. Intake temps are good too