SOHC build-up parts lists, setups etc.

Yup, post them single slammers here....
Jordan Gladman
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

SOHC build-up parts lists, setups etc.

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I get emails way to much from people basically asking me to describe the entire KA-T building process, i cant write articles as replies to everyone that ask me, so ill just make this thread and you can all refer to it.

Feel free to stickie :wink:

How much boost can be run on a stock SOHC?
viewtopic.php?t=2705&highlight=

If you searched and found that thread, you know that there wasnt an answer, if i blew my built motor and had to run a stock KA, i would probably run about 15psi on a stock KA, but i can swap a motor in 4 hours so im more likely gonna push my luck. 10psi is a pretty safe number for a stock KA.

Manifold
www.gladfab.com

When will a stock maf max out
viewtopic.php?t=3356&highlight=

Once it maxes out, you can buy a Z32 300zx maf and swap it right it, its good for about 700whp.

Where can i get a turbo manifold?
viewtopic.php?t=1756&highlight=

Gladman performance
JGS tools
realnissan.com

What emission stuff can I remove when I turbo my KAE?

viewtopic.php?t=1516&highlight=

Answer - everything that you can before the car stops running. Basically everything except for idle control.

What spark plugs should i run?
viewtopic.php?t=2810&highlight=

Which injectors should i use?
viewtopic.php?t=1296&highlight=

How much abuse can a high mileage SOHC actually take?
viewtopic.php?t=698&highlight=

What are you running for a setup, mr Jordan?
viewtopic.php?t=202&highlight=

Feel free to add your own information.

Basic requirements for a SOHC KA-T:

-Manifold
-Turbo
-Downpipe
-Oil lines
-Intake pipe
-Intercooler
-Pipes from turbo to intercooler and from intercooler to motor
-Blow off valve
-Injectors
-Something to control your injectors
Last edited by Jordan Gladman on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle1911
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Kyle1911 »

Does this forum have a time cut off date where it deletes threads that are of a certain age? If so you might want to achive those threads.
89' Nissan 240sx Coupe.

Custom Everything else
60-1 upgraded CT-26
38mm SSautochrome wastegate
Vortech 8:1 FMU
HKS SSQ Gen 1
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I posted my setup thread a long time ago, i dont think they cut off old threads.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
Joel07
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Joel07 »

I definetly vote for this to be stickied. Seems like every question in this forum is the same thing...
toki

Post by toki »

hasn't your setup changed since that thread, jordan? blow through, etc?
turbo SOHC
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Well, right now my motor is on an engine stand and my turbo is in my room as well as most of my parts, ill have a new setup for this summer.
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

We should probably cover fuel control, although that goes without saying. Typically the Z32 maf runs out of control about 550 whp. From all that I've read.

I've been waiting for someone else to do this, cuz I field a lot of email as well about this topic.
Joel07
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Joel07 »

Typically the Z32 maf runs out of control about 550 whp. From all that I've read.
Wow, I think by that point it'd be time to think about a standalone... :shock:
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

veilside180sx wrote:We should probably cover fuel control, although that goes without saying. Typically the Z32 maf runs out of control about 550 whp. From all that I've read.

I've been waiting for someone else to do this, cuz I field a lot of email as well about this topic.
Either way, the Z32 is more than any of us need. :wink:
toki

Post by toki »

perhaps I should be more specific, didn't your setup change between what you posted back then and your 350/370 dyno?
turbo SOHC
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I re-arranged my IC pipes and a few other things, but no.. that setup and my dyno runs were the same. Since the dyno run i did some more modding so i should be up and above 350whp by now. Shooting for 450whp this summer.
Cooch
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Cooch »

This is great information.
fromxtor

Post by fromxtor »

Hey gladman can you use the SR DP for that manifold of yours? And where do i go about getting IC piping that will work on this SOHC engine?
And last but not least the turbo i bought had a external Wastegate on it and im planning on removing it and using the tial setup any advice?
-Josh

'04 Titan SE CC -DD
'90 240sx HB- AMS GT32,JGS SOHC Starter kit,JGS plug wire shield,JGS MMs, Nismo tranny mount, Ross pistons, ARP H/Rs, Polished Rods, Port and Polished head,polished crank,greddy RS BOV,650cc injectors,ROM tuned ECU
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Your turbo, if it had the wastegate on it(it''s internal), the Tial that you want is an external wastegate. No you can't use a SR downpipe with Jordan's manifold. You would either have to make your own, or have him make you one.
fromxtor

Post by fromxtor »

ok well answers my questions i removed the stock wastegate. So wont be needing that POS
-Josh

'04 Titan SE CC -DD
'90 240sx HB- AMS GT32,JGS SOHC Starter kit,JGS plug wire shield,JGS MMs, Nismo tranny mount, Ross pistons, ARP H/Rs, Polished Rods, Port and Polished head,polished crank,greddy RS BOV,650cc injectors,ROM tuned ECU
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

the intercooler piping you will have to make your own as well, as there is no off the shelf intercooler kits for out car. The rest of us bought U bends from Summit racing, jegs, etc and just welded them up. (or had someone else weld them)

When you purchase a downpipe flange for your CT26, get one that has the wastegate hole on the exhaust housing closed off.
fromxtor

Post by fromxtor »

CT26??
-Josh

'04 Titan SE CC -DD
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

CT26 is a Supra turbo. I must've put together two posts, has no relevance here.=)
Last edited by veilside180sx on Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerryb

installing oil lines

Post by jerryb »

Thught Id add this to this post.....

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to be running the same setup as you and have done some research about the oil lines and so far I got the feed line, but I'm working on the return line as I type.

Here is what I have

1. 1/8" BSPT Male X NPT Female
2. 1/8" NPT Female X Female X Male Tee
3. 1/8" NPT Male X BSPT Female
4. .060" oil restrictor
5. -3an steel NPT male
6. -3an steel braided 44” brakeline
7. -3an to 7/16-24 brake adapter

Right now I only have the top three parts, because thats all I need to put on the block, for the return line I have just the 1/2" NPT steel bung to weld into the oil pan, but I think all I need is the outlet flange, a couple 1/2" barbs and a -10an hose. I can get pictures of what I have setup now tomorrow if you need them.
S13 track car...went turbo and blew her up....rebuilding stronger!
240Z with RB20DET
HOMEMADE240SXTURBO

Need help with my SOHC part

Post by HOMEMADE240SXTURBO »

[size=18]Where is the cheapest place to get turbo manifold? I"m going to be using a t3/14 turbo. is the downpipe for ka24e and ka24de-t3/t4 turbo the same? it should be i think. Where can i get a charge pipe for my sohc? I'm all about Home made turbo. I will appreciate all your help. Peace out...[/size]
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Re: Need help with my SOHC part

Post by veilside180sx »

HOMEMADE240SXTURBO wrote:[size=18]Where is the cheapest place to get turbo manifold? I"m going to be using a t3/14 turbo. is the downpipe for ka24e and ka24de-t3/t4 turbo the same? it should be i think. Where can i get a charge pipe for my sohc? I'm all about Home made turbo. I will appreciate all your help. Peace out...[/size]
The downpipes are not necessarily the same. The absolute cheapest is to purchase a DIY manifold kit from JGS Precision and weld it yourself.
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
KornerKing
NooB

Post by KornerKing »

sorry guys not a noob but decided to create a new account
doing my fist SOHC build and lookin for turbo piping/intercooler piping, preferably with no welding cause i have to go somewhere to do it. any suggestions?
-Korner King
tastyratz
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by tastyratz »

I wanted to contribute for people building:
http://www.sivalves.com/ocforeign_valvessp_nis.html

SI valves makes swirl polished undercut valves for the single.
I just ordered 4 of them today. FYI they list as .5mm OS but that's a print mistake, they are direct drop in without seat modification. They were only 11 bux ea when I ordered.

I also wanted to add- when purchasing the sohc valve springs you have more options.
I noticed that the Pioneer springs mentioned were on backorder from summit which was acceptable to me. I made some phone calls to Federal mogul and found their application list off their website.
http://www.21cgt.com/FMWebCatalog/frmSpecification.aspx
I found the appropriate part number that looks like a good candidate which sure enough cross references the same to the pioneer spring listed. The springs are off a 1968 ford bronco 4.7l 289ci engine (also found in lots of other 60s fords).

You can now look that up anywhere and get whatever valve springs your heart desires. I opted for some federal mogul sealed power VS672 springs off rockauto for only a buck and a half each. Hope this helps someone else not looking to wait.
Image Click sig for Tastyratz.com to get my tech articles and car progress updates
undesiredshoe

Post by undesiredshoe »

tastyratz wrote:You can now look that up anywhere and get whatever valve springs your heart desires. I opted for some federal mogul sealed power VS672 springs off rockauto for only a buck and a half each. Hope this helps someone else not looking to wait.
You know the spring pressure of the vs672 springs and are these exhaust springs?

Nvm: 71 lbs closed and 171 open
ImageStock block ka24e - 12.81 @ 113mph
tastyratz
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by tastyratz »

Correct, that is the spring pressure. These are the exhaust outer springs quoted. I went with those and new oem inners. So dirt cheap it almost doesn't make sense to stay OEM if your in the engine and plan a cam/rev limit increase.
Image Click sig for Tastyratz.com to get my tech articles and car progress updates
undesiredshoe

Post by undesiredshoe »

https://www.horsepowerparts.com/index.p ... _id=245747

Heres the RV-611-4 can also be had for $1.12 each before shipping :D

and the intake springs RV-1034-4

https://www.horsepowerparts.com/index.p ... _id=247517

$21.84 before shipping :twisted:

I guess my 11 second stock block sohc is gonna be cheaper than i thought!

Edit: $28.39 after shipping :D
ImageStock block ka24e - 12.81 @ 113mph
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Im looking to order valve springs right now, just found this....

Only has 1 spring, but helpful none the less.

http://www.engineproparts.com/downloads ... change.pdf
chenchen21621
NooB

Post by chenchen21621 »

I definetly vote for this to be stickied. Seems like every question in this forum is the same thing...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
deaconwest
Learners Permit

Re: SOHC build-up parts lists, setups etc.

Post by deaconwest »

If you tune with a MAP sensor from a Power FC or something in that nature as a full standalone system you do not need a MAF. I removed my MAF and run a straight pipe with the MAP sensor tapped in on my RB25DET setup... On the KA you can make very good numbers but its not just in the list of bolt on's you have. A tune is everything, I myself managed to blow a 1JZ motor with a crap tune at only 300hp. This is unheard of anywhere else but I was trying my hand at data logit. I then realized I am not a tuning master and went to professionals and I was able to pull 500 whp out of a RB25DET with no engine mods, only bolt ons with ease and its super streetable. Currently I am driving a Tourer V from Japan with a 1JZ in it and its around 530whp on a stock 1JZ with minimal mods and its tuned by professional tuners and runs great.

My advice would be find an excellent tuner. You could probably pull about 40 or more horses out of your KA then you thought possible without reliability issues...

Just my 2 cents...

However if you want to cancel out the need for a MAF use a MAP sensor and tap that bad boy in :)
THATDRIFTGUY
NooB

Re: SOHC build-up parts lists, setups etc.

Post by THATDRIFTGUY »

So I have a fully built sohc compression is 10:5:1 on it I don't know what head gasket to run I'm going to boost forsure engine is built from the block to the head I have a stage 2 cam I just need tips and what would be best for it the engine is blueprinted to make 1000+ but I'm only looking for around 700 no more than that please any tips and advice would be appreciated cheers
Attachments
image.jpg