Camshaft Guide for SOHC

Yup, post them single slammers here....
Calesta
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Calesta »

deviousKA wrote:Calesta put together a comprehensive sohc camshaft list, and wanted to include all cams available for the ka24e. The only reason I ever posted was to help share information. I answered questions that were asked. I dont post around trying to sell parts. If you actually knew much about KA, in general you would know that.
Exactly. Hell, I'm a degreed/working mechanical engineer. I know that the cam list is just whatever the manufacturers want to put down as their durations. So what? What else do you have to go by? Does every single average Joe have a perfect setup and every single cam on the market on hand to measure each piece the same way? I seriously doubt it... I don't have the resources to do that. Do you?

I just posted up the list because it's something I've had sitting on my hard drive for a while, and thought that people might benefit from me sharing it. Hell, the majority of the retards over on that minitrucking board that I painfully read every day appreciated me posting the list... but the average member over there doesn't have the technical capability to understand what any of it really means.

I thought that the thread was going along pretty well until people's asses started getting hurt. Sit on a tree lately?
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Good thread guys...stickied.

Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
Calesta

Post by Calesta »

Thanks Rick. I thought it was stickied already?
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Nope it wasn't, but is now.
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
Calesta

Post by Calesta »

Awesome.
tastyratz
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by tastyratz »

calesta your list is awesome and very useful/helpful to the community. Dont think it goes unappreciated when someone compiles something like that. I worked a deal with geoff and was sponsored by them so ive been working with him alot on developing the sohc cam. I told him about the thread because I was questioning some of the things said or even just for some insight on it. Ive been actually emailing him back and forth and talking to him on the phone weekly (or less) for awhile now. When I sent him a link to the thread he was bs that someone was copying and reselling his grind he developed and called me talking a mile a minute. He didnt want to get his cam copied and sold elsewhere so he didnt post or openly give out the actual specs. He told me hes fairly reserved on the numbers and wont give them out to just anyone because of that. Now that your copying his cam Devious and selling it it doesnt matter so he said screw it publish the numbers. You were basically calling BS on things like you cant seperate the lobes or anything like that which is entirely possible. Personally I dont like the idea of his work being copied just because since ive been talking to him so much i like the guy. Its his own business how he addresses things or however is his own thing not mine and im just relaying alot of this info more than anything.

going back and reading things... can anyone tell me if anyone went back and edited their original posts?
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

devious: I talked to geoff just now. Hes calling b.s. on this and wanted to see if he could talk to you on the phone. Whos your grinder?
from his site:
COLT CAMS INC., #54 - 3347 262nd Street, Langley, BC, V4W 3V9 Canada TEL: (604) 856-3571

edit:
sohc: according to geoff he was saying crane uses 1.51, comp cams uses 1.5, and he uses 1.52 so 1.42 would be WAY off. who in nissan motorsports did you talk to?
SOHC 240SX

Post by SOHC 240SX »

Its posted on their website and their catalog.

Intake Rocker arm: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/ ... 3257-00001

Exhaust Rocker arm: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/ ... 3257-00003

Again, why won't Geoff send me a spec card for the cam he sent me back? I can post up all kinds of numbers too, but a spec card from Colt will be true. How come I can't seem to get one from him if he is so willing to "publish" the numbers for the public??????????
-los
deviousKA
240sx Wannabe

Post by deviousKA »

I didnt edit any of my posts, if thats what your asking :roll:

I am simply a jobber, these cams are ground professionally by Delta Camshaft of Tacoma, WA.
http://www.deltacam.com/

If Geoff or anyone at Colt Cams read what i mentioned above, they would know that already. But for your own knowlege there you go.

Delta Camshaft, which seems to know you guys at Colt Cams rather well, had no problem grinding as many as necessary. They are well aware they are doing so, as the engravings were intact. This happens in every cam shop, I think you guys are getting a little flared for something that you know happens and your are more than likely guilty of yourself. These are reground cams :roll:

I have many grinds done by Delta Cams, so now that everyone has seen where I get them they can copy my full selection for under $50 per cam, all i can say is have fun :D . As you can see a large contrast from your point of view, you cannot patent a cam profile!

tastyratz you look funny for blowing this out of proportion. Are you cool because you talk to a cam shop selectively over the phone? The points i made earlier are valid btw, maybe you should bring up some actual information to discredit.
Calesta

Post by Calesta »

tastyratz wrote:calesta your list is awesome and very useful/helpful to the community. Dont think it goes unappreciated when someone compiles something like that.
Alright, thanks. It's good to hear that. I just get a little miffed with a general information thread becomes a flamefest over something that's not really a big deal.
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

deviouska: the funny thing is alot of my stuff is quoted directly from geoff. I dont think im cool because I talk to him, I think I get a more reliable source of information on things though talking direct. Its funny because he mentioned delta cams buying a machine off him when I mentioned what you said the other day. He said "all I can think of for us machine sales is delta cams, but I sold them a cheap machine that was way out of tolerance and even he was smart enough to agree its not fit to grind cams and he would only use it for welding" why would he say "sure go ahead copy my work and designs i dont care" that doesnt make sense. That was something he spent time on developing and making his own specifics. I posted alot of things from him for him but really just call him and talk it out man, im just the middle guy.

sohc 240sx: thats the courtesy nissan site catalog not exactly nissan motorsports directly. 1.422 is way off what I found out was the ratios used by the main cam grinders but 1.522 would be pretty close to everyone elses. My guess would be the dealership made a typo online? You are more than welcome to call the grinders mentioned to confirm the ratios used. These are either measured themselves or provided from a source they feel is reliable so i wouldnt think all of them is wrong, id be more likely to blame courtesy for making a typo. If you want to verify the specs call him yourself and mention this thread.

Calesta: part of it is I know how hard it is to sort through all the crap on the internet like you had to do to compile that list of cams, and I hate it when I see misinformation that will mislead other people.
SOHC 240SX

Post by SOHC 240SX »

The site is hosted by courstesy nissan, but everything is taken and quoted from Nissan Motorsports and their catalog.

I don't care who uses what. Like I said before, I trust Nissan Motorsports first before others. Until you can prove them wrong, which you haven't yet, you can't change my mind set nor the way I think.

Besides, that is such a minor thing. Lets get back to the main issue at hand. HOW COME GEOFF WILL NOT SEND ME A SPEC CARD IF HIS INFO IS NOW PUBLIC???????????????????????????? Why would he give YOU the specs, but can't give a paying customer a spec card??????? What you posted as specs is complete junk....until you can prove it. I can say I make 8000 HP on my KA, but no one will believe me unless I post some dyno charts to back up my word. I suggest you do the same.
-los
nazstang

Post by nazstang »

you got a great point Sohc, give us specs :twisted: !

anyway, i am having FTI do my cam, ed curtis is great with mustang cams, a cam genius, and i'll give him my business any day of the week.
-Nissan stanza ( KA-T)
-Nissan stanza (65 shot N.O.S.)
-94 Cobra (modded)
- 88 Mustang LX (modded so much, not street legal)
- Suzuki gsxr1000 (modded)
- Craftsman 22" 6.75 hp mower (modded :) )
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

like previously stated.
When I sent him a link to the thread he was bs that someone was copying and reselling his grind he developed and called me talking a mile a minute. He didnt want to get his cam copied and sold elsewhere so he didnt post or openly give out the actual specs. He told me hes fairly reserved on the numbers and wont give them out to just anyone because of that. Now that your copying his cam Devious and selling it it doesnt matter so he said screw it publish the numbers
Better explained by him earlier when I talked to him was along the lines of "yea and I probabbly didnt give him the actual specs because he was acting like a dummy. I dont just give my numbers out to everyone, especially if Im suspicious of him being another grinder trying to copy my work"

like ive said a thousand times CALL HIM. your sitting there calling b.s. saying im a liar and that its not true and yet I keep telling you guys to call and confirm.... i guess you could say im "putting my money where my mouth is" on this so as far as im concerned other things said here are discredited. people are ASSuming and are too lazy to back it up. prove me wrong... call him
deviousKA
240sx Wannabe

Post by deviousKA »

I didnt say any cams are ground on those machines, I just mentioned because I remember them mentioning it to me at one point. I did not say this was any sort of "consent" for anything.

Not much else to say, if Geoff has any concern he can call Delta Cams. I will continue to get all my cams done there, they do good work.

Oh and BTW, Do you live in canada? Because I dont.
Calesta

Post by Calesta »

tastyratz wrote:Calesta: part of it is I know how hard it is to sort through all the crap on the internet like you had to do to compile that list of cams, and I hate it when I see misinformation that will mislead other people.
Definitely. I'm all about eliminating false information. :)
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

geoff called delta cams and told me hes gonna come on here and make a post himself. Ill leave it at that for now and let the suspense build for everyone else
toki

Post by toki »

really? I'd love to hear the specs on duration and lift straight from the horses mouth so that I can recalculate my intake manifold stuff and know it's right this time!
turbo SOHC
COLT CAMS
NooB

To clear up false statements

Post by COLT CAMS »

I would like to respond to the recent conversation dealing with the Nissan 240 SX SOHC.
I am the owner of Colt Cams Inc my name is Geoff Bardal. I have been informed and read myself some false statements that I feel should be reviewed.
I have never given permission for my cams (profiles) to be copied or re-produced.
It was stated that DeviousKA had Delta Cams do this.
I directly talked with Delta Cams to inform them of what was said on this forum. After they heard of there so called involvement, they were extremely up-set and wanted to know who this person was.
They also informed me that they don't even do performance grinds on the 240's.
I hope this clears a few things up for the Nissan 240 SX SOHC enthusiast. False statements were directed at two good companies, makes you wonder how many true statements he actually has stated.
Colt Cams Inc. has worked very hard for the respect of there customers. We pride ourselves in custom grinding and are constantly trying to improve your driving experience. In fact at this time we are testing a new design called the tri-flow for the Nissan 240’s SOHC and so far things are looking really good, it seems to out perform the C.404.H in all areas.
TASTYRATZ has stepped up to the performance plate and is helping us test this and will hopefully be posting some dyno reports shortly.
Speed vision is also doing a segment on our new concept of the multi valve engines using the Tri-Flow theory on the Toyota 4 AG. For a brief info sheet on how this works please e-mail us or visit us on the web @ www.coltcams.com
PDM Racing also offers the Tri Flow on the Nissan 240 DOHC.
We are looking forward to offer a special one time bulk order buy on semi finished blank billets. I am uncertain of the cost of these at this point but would really appreciate any feed back to see if this would interest some of you.
Thank-you, for your time
Geoff Bardal @ Colt Cams Inc
#54-3347 262nd Street
Langley, BC
V4W 3V9
604-856-3571
www.coltcams.com
SOHC 240SX

Post by SOHC 240SX »

I did have 3 questions.

1) Is the new tri-flow cam intended for Forced Induction or Naturally Aspriated applications?

2) I recently sent in my stock cam to you for the C404.H turbo regrind. Can this cam be regrinded again for the Tri-flow regrind or do I need to send in another stock cam?

3) Will you provided spec cards for the cams you sell for you paying customers? Don't you think its important for the serious tunners to have specific information about how the cam will respond in the motor?
-los
deviousKA
240sx Wannabe

Post by deviousKA »

Hello Geoff, I sent you an email id appreciate if you would read and respond.

I did not lie about anything, obviously.

I can understand saying things purely out of anger. But

#1 I did not lie
#2 Im not doing anything illegal
#3 I dont pay for advertising here, do you?
#4 Ive got a lot of (more important) things to do
tropicilluzion
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by tropicilluzion »

Calesta wrote:
tastyratz wrote:calesta your list is awesome and very useful/helpful to the community. Dont think it goes unappreciated when someone compiles something like that.
Alright, thanks. It's good to hear that. I just get a little miffed with a general information thread becomes a flamefest over something that's not really a big deal.
hey man iu was wondering you said delta cam did u a performance cam for the ka24e i tried calling john and he said that he does only one grind thats about it
tropicilluzion
motorhead
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by motorhead »

this thread is really old. many of those liknks up top do not work. i have the hardbody cam and the 240 cam, which one should i use for a mild turbo?
. 97 D21 . BELLTECH DROPPED . TORSION BARS .ENKEI'S . AZENIS . TURBO
NYR SCCA MEMBER
vasdeferensly
NooB

Re: Camshaft Guide for SOHC

Post by vasdeferensly »

Have there been any updates for the guide? Most of the links don't work. Just looking for a mild cam that's streetable.