Upcoming Changes to KA-T.org Forums

Check in here to find out about important news and events on the ka-t.org forums.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Upcoming Changes to KA-T.org Forums

Post by Rick »

Hi everyone,

First off - I want to apologize to everyone for both myself and Ryan not being extremely active on the forums as of recently. Please understand that just because we are not posting, this does not mean we are not devoting a lot of time to this site, which ultimately serves you - our members.

Secondly - I want to let everyone know that for quite some time now I have been wanting to upgrade our forums to a newer, more stable, and more customizable forum software. Our options have been slightly limited because of the version of phpBB that we currently run. I have however reached a good milestone just recently, and finally got us converted to a newer version of phpBB.

What does this mean? Well - in short it means that you will be seeing a huge change to the forums. Not only will the forums be more feature-rich, they will be more upgradeable, stable, and will be faster and more efficient than our current software.

This also means that within the next couple of weeks, the date is yet to be determined, we will have some downtime of the forums while I swap everything over to the new forum software. I will do my best to minimize this and will give notice before we do this change.

Third - I understand that we probably don't have the amount of moderators on here that we likely need - therefore I am looking to add a couple of moderators to the board. If you are interested - please PM me.

Thanks everyone!

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
tom550
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by tom550 »

I like how they are now :( nice and simple.

Some other forums that are all advanced really Piss me off.

But I do wish we had a mobile version of the site.
240freak88
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 240freak88 »

oh wow and here i thought i was ready to see the site was going to be shut down ....thank god lol and cant wait to see what its going to look like =)
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

tom550 wrote:I like how they are now :( nice and simple.

Some other forums that are all advanced really Piss me off.

But I do wish we had a mobile version of the site.
Don't worry - nothing too crazy, it will just have some more bells and whistles. It is really mainly to get us into some new software to take us through the next several years. We have been around for 7 years now with the same software - and the SQL database we run isnt the most stable - so we end up having to make lots of backups, and with close to 14,000 members, that ends up being a lot of work.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

240freak88 wrote:oh wow and here i thought i was ready to see the site was going to be shut down ....thank god lol and cant wait to see what its going to look like =)
Thanks for that beaming vote of confidence.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

rockin! this is good stuff. thanks for everything guys.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

^^^ + what ever number you can come up with.

i still to this date will never join another forum. just cause of the help and diy i have seen this forum dish out!!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

That is what makes this forum great. sdaigle and jmcc offer great help on here as well as many others. If we continue this trend, the site will stay alive.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
all shal perrish

Post by all shal perrish »

this site is hands down they only reason my car is were it is today, and i wont join any other forum or "community" and have any honest intentions on posting there....

ka-t.org/forums for the win
www.autovaughnperformance.com

NISTUNE EXCELLENT TUNING AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE (pm with questions regarding)

I AM ON THE HUNT FOR JWT CAM GEARS..
if you have some, pm me
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

+1 to most of the comments here. Thanks for starting, and upkeeping a great community.

This website is almost all of the reason many of us having boosted ka's, and routinely come back for more advice. Thanks again, and looking forward to it
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I agree with everyone this site has been instrumental in making the KA-T as popular and worthwhile as it has been. Can you imagine a world without KA-T? Very depressing thought!

Hopefully with this new software upgrade you won't have to worry about the spam-bots sneaking around making posts!
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
blacks13coupe
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by blacks13coupe »

Does that mean we can finally get a "Recent posts" instead of "View posts since last visit" ? When my android decides to crap out half way through loading I miss all the recent stuff. Anyways hats off to you guys for all the hard work put into the site, I think it is plenty good as it sits.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

Whatever you decide, works for me. As long as I type in www.ka-t.org into my browser and the site works, then do it up.

I got a random e-mail from a r***ina@gmail.com
I was hoping it was from someone here on the site, and hopefully it was Rick. If not, I need to block them.

Either way, keep the site rockin'. I love this place.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Yes that is ricks email. He is currently testing the new site. If you look at the address that it is in the email, it shows ka-t.org/phptest.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
k12ispl
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by k12ispl »

im glad to see that there is going to be some "upgraded" changes done for the better of course, keep up the good work fellas and lets keep this forum alive !!!!!!!!!!! MERICA !!!!!!!!
1993 240sx Coupe 5 Speed
*'91 Ka Rebuild w/ stock internals
*Stage 1 clutch
*Lightweight Flywheel
^July'12-Traded for a '03 zx6r 636

1969 Datsun 1600 Roadster Build
viewtopic.php?t=52915
www.intercarofknoxville.com
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

blacks13coupe wrote:Does that mean we can finally get a "Recent posts" instead of "View posts since last visit" ? When my android decides to crap out half way through loading I miss all the recent stuff. Anyways hats off to you guys for all the hard work put into the site, I think it is plenty good as it sits.
Yes - it should have that capability.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

p00t wrote:I agree with everyone this site has been instrumental in making the KA-T as popular and worthwhile as it has been. Can you imagine a world without KA-T? Very depressing thought!

Hopefully with this new software upgrade you won't have to worry about the spam-bots sneaking around making posts!
It has a lot of good features, one of which includes the ability to check users IP addresses against a huge database of KNOWN forum spammers and automatically block them.

There will also be a 'flag' button for all users wherein they can mark a post to be reviewed by mods/admins.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

eazye2000 wrote:Whatever you decide, works for me. As long as I type in www.ka-t.org into my browser and the site works, then do it up.

I got a random e-mail from a r***ina@gmail.com
I was hoping it was from someone here on the site, and hopefully it was Rick. If not, I need to block them.

Either way, keep the site rockin'. I love this place.
Yeah - my bad, I forgot to block outgoing emails from the new software. Please ignore.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

lol, I figured you were changing things up when I went my inbox and it said 277% full and my sent box was 408% full. Time to do some cleanup.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Rick wrote:
TryingToTurbo wrote:lol, I figured you were changing things up when I went my inbox and it said 277% full and my sent box was 408% full. Time to do some cleanup.
Yep - I am trying to shave off some of the excess fat that our database is carrying around.

--Rick
I just deleted about 80 pages of messages. Your welcome! haha.

BTW, I pm'ed you yesterday. Not sure if you got it or not due to the whole 408% full message box I had at the time.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves

Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

one thing i wanted to ask. are you getting rid of the post count??
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Jmcc wrote:one thing i wanted to ask. are you getting rid of the post count??
What are you referring to as post count? If you mean the # of posts each user has, no we are not. We may elect to require people to have a certain number of posts in certain forums, but its not for sure yet.

Clarify what you are referring to and I can more accurately respond.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

yes i am sorry for that. the number of post that each user has. the reason i was asking if you guy's where going to get rid of it, is just cause your post count is high. does not mean your a more knowledgeable person than others.
cause i know their is plenty of users on this forum that has lower counts than me but are way better at every thing i can do. and the same goes for the for sale threads. i have seen most time new users will post a couple times a day for some time just to get to 100 post. then you never really seen them again. i dunno it was just a thought

thanks any ways Jon.
MRLuke
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MRLuke »

Tapatalk? :D

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=53366
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Jmcc wrote:yes i am sorry for that. the number of post that each user has. the reason i was asking if you guy's where going to get rid of it, is just cause your post count is high. does not mean your a more knowledgeable person than others.
cause i know their is plenty of users on this forum that has lower counts than me but are way better at every thing i can do. and the same goes for the for sale threads. i have seen most time new users will post a couple times a day for some time just to get to 100 post. then you never really seen them again. i dunno it was just a thought

thanks any ways Jon.
Nope.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

MRLuke wrote:Tapatalk? :D
Maybe someday, but nothing in the near future. Though with more and more platforms like this coming out, it becomes simpler and simpler to do.

Funny you mentioned this though because I was on r6-forum.com on my iPhone the other day and was thinking we should do the same thing.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Rick wrote:
MRLuke wrote:Tapatalk? :D
Maybe someday, but nothing in the near future. Though with more and more platforms like this coming out, it becomes simpler and simpler to do.

Funny you mentioned this though because I was on r6-forum.com on my iPhone the other day and was thinking we should do the same thing.

--Rick
Agreed. In fact, I would be willing to bet there are already a ton of users that access this forum from a mobile device already. I know I do. The only Nissan forum I visit that is part of tapatalk is Zilvia, which is lame.

Is there anything users here could do to make the transition to tapatalk easier?

MRLuke
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MRLuke »

For anybody who has not used tapatalk it is a million times nicer to use from a mobile than even the best mobile optimised site.

Its at the point where I often prefer using Tapa to browse forums it is enabled on :O lots of cool features but the biggest plus point is that is just so damn quick and easy to use.

I think it is supposed to be very easier to implement into the newer BBS versions. I could be completely wrong mind.

Im still going to be here whether you have it or not, just something worth having a look at is all :)

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Or you can get a 4G phone with Flash.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
MRLuke
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MRLuke »

My HTC has had flash for the last year :)