NEW FORUMS - Questions and Answers

Check in here to find out about important news and events on the ka-t.org forums.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Re: NEW FORUMS - Questions and Answers

Post by Rick »

beercandrifter wrote:not something thats broken, but a suggestion.

on old board, used to have ka-t.org icon on top that would return to main forum level, now have "phpbb creating communities". not sure if people realize you can click on that to return to main forum level. would be nice to see a ka-t.org main forums picture/icon there or something to ease navigation for us old school computer usin folk =)
That's kind of the deal between Ryan and I. It will all be taken care of soon. I'm basically 'hands off' the forum code and stuff as of yesterday per Ryan as he is working on the Joomla! integration now and we don't want to make changes to the forums until its completely integrated with the new main page that will be seamless with the CMS. He will beautify everything during his process (which will include some other stuff). Ill be posting about it very soon with examples as well.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

ROCKIN. thanks, Rick.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

went to make a post on a thread and it said it had to be approved before being viewable......?
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
Realchaos1
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Realchaos1 »

Hey Rick,

If Ryan gives up on Joom-bllaaahh check this out:

http://www.wp-united.com/

Never used it but hey, WordPress is... neat. :3

Also for the sake of being a neckbeard, imo phpBB, vBulletin, and Invision Power Board are behind the times. Although IP Board and vBulletin are catching up, Vanilla Forums seems to be heading the lead of next gen forums (as far as mobile, responsive, web 3.0, bells and whistles). I'm actually thinking about trying out Vanilla Forums with WordPress.

:dance:

Keep up the good fight! If you guys ever run into blockades, I'd be willing to help.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

WordPress would be neat too. Hey Rick - do we have any word on where he is with the Joomla installation?
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Could you please add the ability to control how many posts you can view per page?

It would also be nice to have the ability to view all threads started by a particular person as well as their posts.

Thanks guys!
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

im seeing images cut off on the right like others saw. ive changed the board style and used control scroll and they are still chopped.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Honestly, I was getting kind of frustrated with the new forum until I changed to subsilver2. MUCH better!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

sdaigle240 wrote:went to make a post on a thread and it said it had to be approved before being viewable......?
Which forum were you posting in?
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

airman wrote:WordPress would be neat too. Hey Rick - do we have any word on where he is with the Joomla installation?
He is working on it as time allows. We're also cutting the site over to Ryan's personal dedicated server. We have been on a virtual private server for a few years but we are outgrowing it. There should be a good performance bump in the site once were on a dedicated box.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Kamilitaryman wrote:Could you please add the ability to control how many posts you can view per page?

It would also be nice to have the ability to view all threads started by a particular person as well as their posts.

Thanks guys!
Unfortunately the posts per page is only a global setting and we set that in the admin control panel. Are you thinking there is too many or not enough?

You can search for posts by a specific user in the search page. You can have it come back as threads or individual posts.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

sdaigle240 wrote:im seeing images cut off on the right like others saw. ive changed the board style and used control scroll and they are still chopped.
User posted images or what? Kind of vague but I can look into it with some more info.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Rick wrote:
Kamilitaryman wrote:Could you please add the ability to control how many posts you can view per page?

Thanks guys!
Unfortunately the posts per page is only a global setting and we set that in the admin control panel. Are you thinking there is too many or not enough?

You can search for posts by a specific user in the search page. You can have it come back as threads or individual posts.
Dang, that sucks! In my opinion, a page should have a at least 50 posts /page. It can get REALLY cumbersome trying to find that one post you remember in someone's thread but couldn't find using search. So you manually go through their thread. The problem is, if that particular thread is really active with lots of updates and replies from others, you're going to find yourself digging through 20-30 pages. Just my 2¢ :)
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Yeah, the search is not very helpful when it comes to finding specific posts within a thread.

On the image thing - yes, the board doesn't auto-size the frame. For example, the frame may be 900px or whatever but an image of 1200px will have 300px missing from the right side.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

airman wrote:Yeah, the search is not very helpful when it comes to finding specific posts within a thread.

On the image thing - yes, the board doesn't auto-size the frame. For example, the frame may be 900px or whatever but an image of 1200px will have 300px missing from the right side.
Good catch. We can fix that.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

i still have that image issue. but another thing i noticed. i went to search FS section for injectors aparently thats too common of a word? c'mon.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Kamilitaryman wrote:
Rick wrote:

Thanks guys!

Dang, that sucks! In my opinion, a page should have a at least 50 posts /page. It can get REALLY cumbersome trying to find that one post you remember in someone's thread but couldn't find using search. So you manually go through their thread. The problem is, if that particular thread is really active with lots of updates and replies from others, you're going to find yourself digging through 20-30 pages. Just my 2¢ :)

The 50 posts per page would be awesome on the for sale section at a minimum if it could be set per section. everyone bumps their threads on that subforum because they roll off the first page. Wouldn't mind it for the rest of the forum as well

does it give you the ability to set the thread count based on forum style (i.e. full style vs mobile)?
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

I wish you guys would impliment a 'topic must be approved by moderator'

This way if someone starts a new thread "Looking to build KA-T, how does this look"... someone can just point them to one of the existing threads.

Nothing wrong with bumping and replying in old 10 year old threads as long as its the same information. This actually helps the search engine.

Ever try finding technical information on Zilvia.net ?? that is what happens when you have a lot of people talking about the same thing in many different threads. Even a mention of LS1 coils in off topic will hurt someones search results to find the actual LS1 thread.

na wha I mean?
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Walperstyle wrote:I wish you guys would impliment a 'topic must be approved by moderator'

This way if someone starts a new thread "Looking to build KA-T, how does this look"... someone can just point them to one of the existing threads.

Nothing wrong with bumping and replying in old 10 year old threads as long as its the same information. This actually helps the search engine.

Ever try finding technical information on Zilvia.net ?? that is what happens when you have a lot of people talking about the same thing in many different threads. Even a mention of LS1 coils in off topic will hurt someones search results to find the actual LS1 thread.

na wha I mean?
Yes - it is possible but it is more of a board wide rule. Essentially any member with less than XX posts would need to have their topics approved by a moderator. At least that's the best way I could see doing it.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Classifieds are now viewable by everyone as the post count has been removed.

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

search function seems to be neutered

Search term used: seal coolant plug hole ignored: hole coolant plug
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

beercandrifter wrote:search function seems to be neutered

The search function is working. Try using less terms.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Rick wrote:

tried a few smaller searches, seems to be blocking common car terms
i.e. coolant, block, spark plug, ignition, oil, valve, valve cover, rod, timing, turbo, injector, fuel, crank
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

beercandrifter wrote:
Rick wrote:

tried a few smaller searches, seems to be blocking common car terms
i.e. coolant, block, spark plug, ignition, oil, valve, valve cover, rod, timing, turbo, injector, fuel, crank

Hmmm.

I will rebuild the search index... It takes a couple days with the size of database we have...

--Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

Under Edit signature, it says images may only be 200 pixels wide. can that be changed? height is more of a concern than width. most of ours are well over 200W and i see the transfered over from the old forum no prob, so im hoping its just a simple change. thanks, Rick.
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

what happened to the search function? its horrendous with its "too common of a phrase" come backs.
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

what happened to the search function? its horrendous with its "too common of a phrase" come backs. on example - i searched "pressure" with myself as the author. no luck.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

I'm not sure what's going on with it. I will rebuild it.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

sdaigle240 wrote:what happened to the search function? its horrendous with its "too common of a phrase" come backs. on example - i searched "pressure" with myself as the author. no luck.

Should be fixed now.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
••••••••••••••••••••••••
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

niiiiiiice thanks!