wild machine work concept - Singh groove?

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
tastyratz
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

wild machine work concept - Singh groove?

Post by tastyratz »

Found this link:
http://somender-singh.com/content/view/97/52/
From mpgresearch.com forums (those guys are insane they have a lot of crazy new ideas)

What are YOUR thoughts on this idea? looks kinda crazy
found a few generic diy-er posts that seem to have good results. Seems to really be all 2 valve 70s engines that are posting their results (which are also good ones)

Before you say if it was good it would be done by manufacturers dont forget to read hes been doing it over 10 years and has a patent.
Image Click sig for Tastyratz.com to get my tech articles and car progress updates
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

i'm sorry, but the way they did that FAQ or whatever was confusing, this has to do with the block and head being o-ringed right?
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

not at all
This has to do with cutting a specific groove aiming towards the spark plug and the cylinder walls to promote jetting and turbulence increasing power and gas mileage while lowering bsfc. . The more squish area an engine has the more it may benefit. There are people with old 2v v8's claiming a 5mpg 10hp change.
Image Click sig for Tastyratz.com to get my tech articles and car progress updates
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

Ah, ok my bad, the faq thingy just didn't make sense, there's too many odds and ends to it. This may be better for a V-styled motor, considering that we are I4's I don't think cutting a groove would actually help us, because the plug sits right a top of the cylinder.

but only an assumption.
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

depends, some engines have better results. I dont think the DE would be a great candidate but the sohc is possibly one...
FandZ
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by FandZ »

I think it has so to do with getting a more complete mixture of gas and air along with having the A/f directed to the spark plug. I don't think it would be as drastic with a Dohc vs sohc but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm going to be running NA till my car is broken in after my rebuild so I'll be able to tell if it makes a difference on gas millage. City driving at least. It makes since and heads are cheap enough so I think I'll try it on my DE.

Any suggestions on where to place the slit? BTW here is a link of a guy in Spain doing to a head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7slCT0Vpw
dopeassjackson
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by dopeassjackson »

so you hack a slot in between ur valves and its suposto gain you more complete combustion?
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

thats the gist of it. You aim the slot to the spark plug. Its supposed to make the mixture direct at the plug and direct the combustion at areas that would create turbulance, or areas that normally would have incomplete combustion to improve total burn.
Ihiryu
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Ihiryu »

How much does this cost? like a round about?
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

not a clue, its experimental technology at this point. You can do it yourself with a hacksaw blade if you want...
dopeassjackson
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by dopeassjackson »

how much does it cost he says. lol they show you how to do it on the video. i wouldnt bother, it may make your head crack and i doubt it actualy works.
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc
PSi
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by PSi »

Im a bit sceptic on this idea, Im all for enginuity but i dont really care about the gas milage in my cars made for power....

I dont see how this could in anyway be an advantage to power so im gonna leave it at that...

Forced industries the home of hybrid performance
1983 280ZXT
1989 240sx KA24DET
1987 RX7 Lima 2.3t (project)
FandZ
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by FandZ »

Well in a month or 2 I should be able to post some results. :lol:
LigouriRd.
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by LigouriRd. »

This concept has been around for a little while, I remember reading about it in CAR magazine some years ago. Since this is a turbo forum I would like to note that this modification is only for NA applications. Gooves like this create hot spots in the cylinder which can cause detonation in turbo applications. My $.02
"There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, sleeve, head gasket or timing. But never too much boost."

'91 Nissan 240SX
'96 Nissan 240SX KA-T
'05 Grand Cherokee (4x2)
'85 Honda Nighthawk 450SC
tastyratz

Post by tastyratz »

that much makes me wonder, because a larger benefit is the complete combustion and shorter time for flame propagation resulting in less cylinder heat absorption and the ability to run later timing in higher compression. This ultimately would benefit in gas mileage as well as horsepower simply by just allowing more timing. I haven't found enough examples to be truly convinced enough to try it so far but its intriguing
FandZ
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by FandZ »

LigouriRd. wrote: Gooves like this create hot spots in the cylinder which can cause detonation in turbo applications. My $.02
It isn't an issue because of aluminum heads. The heat is transfered far to quickly for there to be any kind of "hot spot" . The only part to be concearned with would be the very tip end of the edge and it shouldn't be left sharp. Nothing more than a little sanding needed.