Maximum Power Output for KA24DET?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Maximum Power Output for KA24DET?

Post by Bauholzwolf »

I'd like to start by saying hello to KA-T.org. I'm a huge fan of your featured rides and the posted videos. They've put huge grins on all who have seen them, and I hope to see even more from this absolutely kick-ass tuning community!

I'm currently trying to determine which engine, out of the popular choices for the 240sx, is the wisest investment in regards to my long-term goals. I am a hosepower junkie, lets put it that way. Whatever choice I get, I'll work to the eventual goal of finding the absolutle maximum power potential of that platform.

There is no practical reasoning behind my goals, so don't try to talk me out of that. Its like climbing Mount Everest - its not really all that practical, but it does give you a great feeling working towards the accomplishment of a goal. Those of you who do not agree with number chasing need not respond to this post. However, those of you who are cool and understanding, or maybe even shooting for the same thing, please try and sell the KA-T platform to me as best you can. Why should I chose the KA? What benefits are there to chosing this engine? (I am aware of the cost benefits, but I'm still iffy on aftermarket support and there's that oil starvation issue at high RPM's that scares me)

Thankyou for your assistance and support.
Boost! THE replacement for displacement!
EstoMax
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by EstoMax »

oil starvation hasnt really been a problem.. or a proven one anyway.

im thinking many people reuse their old oilpumps which fail on them so make sure you get a new oem or highflow oil pump to keep the pressure up. and have a pressure gauge to keep an eye on it so if you see it drop you get off the pedal.

otherwise your with a great platform because the car is built and wired for it already, the block is iron, the crank is bulletproof, the head flows very well, and the new aftermarket parts are coming out as we speak 8)
95 s14 kaT
t3/t04e (60 trim), bikirom, groundzero mani/dp, 82 lb AMS FS
94 d21 kaE 4x4 stock
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Crank is bulletproof (I'm with ^^^^ him)
Rods are stout. (~500 hp with upgraded bolts)
Block is bulletproof

Why should you go Ka-T? It's still in it's pioneering stages. Shouldn't 638 Rear wheel horsepower with the stock restrictive manifold with full boost ~4000 rpms up be enough?
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Bauholzwolf »

1000hp or more is my goal, if we want to talk numbers. Accomplishment of that goal is uncertain, but from that uncertainty comes a form of excitement that can't be beat. 8)

I think I'm sold on the KA. It's the DOHC that I'll want, though.. so I need to source me one of those. The one from the Altima, the KA24DE, I see them on Ebay and other sites all the time for really cheap - Will they bolt up to the 5-speed S13 KA24E tranny?
monooxide
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by monooxide »

Wow....1000WHP...That is my extreme goal is to pull down 1000WHP in a KA not on my KA right now but possibly in the future. Would it be the first 4 to get to the 1000's and be street driven? I know there is like a 1000+ AWHP evo in Britain.
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Bauholzwolf »

This will be my daily driver. Yes, I am a psychopath.

I'll dial down the boost and run a different fuel map for when I'm just cruising. Yeah, things will be really screwed but at least I won't kill anyone.
EstoMax
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by EstoMax »

ummm

a 1000whp ka will be VERY hard to make streetable.. but best of luck with that.

the stock tranny is good for up to 400-500 in the long term depending on how you drive it, so in your case itll need to be upgraded :shock:
95 s14 kaT
t3/t04e (60 trim), bikirom, groundzero mani/dp, 82 lb AMS FS
94 d21 kaE 4x4 stock
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Bauholzwolf »

With the money I save by not doing the planned SR or RB swap, I'm sure a transmission upgrade isn't out of the question. Hmm.. I wonder if I could bolt up a T56.

:twisted: hehehe
flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by flip240 »

The highest HP ka24de-t will belong to Ivan at AMS in arlington heights il very soon. last i talked to him, he was aiming for 700s w/o nitrous and 800+ with nitrous. last year he drove a full weight customer s13 on DRs (stock ka24 internals making 370ish whp) to a 11 sec 1/4, so you do the math with his new car 8)
Last edited by flip240 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Bauholzwolf »

I've been roughly following that project and its been quite inspirational for me. I look forward to seeing it hit the strip when he's done with it!
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

For 1000 I would only use the stock bolck and head. I dont think I would put money on the crank. I dont thinnk I would try to make all 1000 with a turbo, I would fog on top of 7-800hp

As for the tranny I would look into an auto.
freekwonder
240sx Wannabe

Post by freekwonder »

Marcus wrote:Crank is bulletproof (I'm with ^^^^ him)
Rods are stout. (~500 hp with upgraded bolts)
Block is bulletproof

Why should you go Ka-T? It's still in it's pioneering stages. Shouldn't 638 Rear wheel horsepower with the stock restrictive manifold with full boost ~4000 rpms up be enough?
well according to everybody on the 510 boards. the ka24 needs internal work to just get above 300. :roll: . they think the SR is the almight boost motor. and you have to be an engine builder to get 300 out of the KA. :roll: I'm still fighting them to this day on it. Whats sad is even the KA guys agree with the SR guys that its not a stronge motor. they just got the KA over the SR since it was cheap and they don't plan to boost it.
1971 Datsun 510
skatanic28

Post by skatanic28 »

please dont take offense to this.....but how old are you? a 1000hp sub 3000 lb car is a rather ridiculous goal for street/daily driving.

your budget for something like this will likely break into the 10k+ range.

honestly, if i had the cash and a goal like that, i would go the built rb26 route. once you dump 15k into it, you should be able to reach your goal.

either way, i cant really see this happening, sorry.
WTB: 95 240sx shell, PM for details

96 240sx ka-t (12 psi, 50 trim T3/T04E)
02 rsx type s - daily driver
hannibal
240sx Wannabe

Post by hannibal »

I think $10K is a low estimate...

A 1000whp daily driver is just crazy. Ignoring the streetability, the motor would require constant maintenance. Look at high hp race motors that are rebuilt at least once a season. Not saying it cant be done, but I dont think you fully understand what youre getting into.

Good luck. It will be a loooong journey...
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

Yeah for a good 1000whp at all times I would get an RB26 head slap it on a built RB30 block and toss on two GT30Rs. and use some sort of auto like a glide, TH400 or a C4
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Bauholzwolf »

I dont want to be pushing that power all the time, just have the potential to dial everything up, maybe pump some NO2 into it and make that number - maybe once or twice down the strip just to say that I did it.
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

I would like to think with a GT42R you could push 850ish then fog it up to 1000. I would try to fit 12mm head studs, O-ring the block and look in to a custom crank.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I think you should get a ride in a 300whp S chassis....
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
RBbugBITme
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by RBbugBITme »

If you seriously want to DD a 1,000hp 240sx then you should know the best route for you is the RB26. Regardless, pick whatever engine you want and go make 500hp first. Once you do that then save up lots of money cause youre going to have to change everything again to make it over 800hp. If you think you are going to just piece together a car the first time and hit that big number then yeah you are climbing Mt. Everest. This will take you years, start small and work your way up.
MaxRPM

Post by MaxRPM »

1000hp...are you serious? You should try to 600 first...before thinking about 1000hp.

Is your car already boosted? If so, what HP your pushing out. Cause 1000hp you gonna run into great problem, and lots of tweeking. and fine tuning. And all the very little stuff matter. And lots of custom works. I dont see how you gonna get 1000hp goals with just slaping part together. With that mush power, more mathematical formula is involve.
96s14

Post by 96s14 »

If you don't have your own shop, I honestly think it can't be done. Can't be done for 10,000 either. The parts alone would be WAY more than that. I am thinking 14,000 at least, just for parts.
7 psi: 251.0whp and 265.6wtq

9.25 psi: 287.3whp and 315.5wtq

12 psi: CONFIDENTIAL.
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

I think it cost me 10,000 for my set up and I made the header, intercooler, IC pipes, intake, 4" down pipe, 4" exhaust and fuel system.
tak
240sx Wannabe

Post by tak »

I hate to see you get hit so hard, because you atleast asked your question in a polite, and adult manner.

1,000HP is not unreachable, but like everyone said, its not streetable. You would spend over $15,000 making that power, and probably another $10,000 putting it to the ground.

The whole "have the potential to make that power, but turn the boost down" thing will probably not work either.

It is not just the boost, in order to achieve those goals, you would have to sacrafice alot of drivability.

How much do you have to spend? Because this would not be cheap.

I am $5,000 into my KA-T and I dont even have an engine or turbo, or injectors. It can be a cheap way of boosting your 240, but definately not if you want that kind of power.

Oh, and the altima is FWD, it will not work.
MaxRPM

Post by MaxRPM »

If he got the money...i say go ahead.....but would be rather stupit, cause you could slap an RB which can handle boost alot better and lots of after market parts to achieve goals.
Bauholzwolf
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Bauholzwolf »

Just a number, boys. Just a number.

My primary goal is to SLOWLY (as if anyone would ever assume otherwise, but alright) bring this vehicle up to its absolute maximum reliable potential, building everything along the way to make this a slightly tamed beast. Slightly, because its all about eventually pushing the envelope. I never listed a specific timeframe - heck, I never even listed anything about how long it was going to take, or how much I'm ultimately going to invest. All that I know is that I have a deep-rooted passion for what I do and I'm willing to take this as far as it goes.

It really bothers me that everyone automatically jumps to conclusions because a person lists a potential end-goal. Take the blinders off and try to be a little more open minded. Of course, apply common sense to this at all times. My goal, and I know that it will take a while (after all, Rome wasn't built in a day), is to eventually attain the highest power output for this platform. When I max the KA-T, when I find that I can't push it any farther because it requires constant rebuilds and total re-engineering, I'll switch to a different powerplant and go from there. :) It's all about discovery. As a friend of mine puts it.. developing both car AND driver.

8) Path of exploration. A beautiful thing.
Oleh
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Oleh »

what suspension are you planning on running ? rear end ? you will have to run a solid axle....chassis will have to be reinforced, in many places, alongside with a cage.
I dont see this happening for 10K.
S130- VG30DETT
99 Altima - Bolt ons
98 Altima - KA-T
nüdelkopf

Post by nüdelkopf »

1000whp for 10k?

hhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll no
Cobra723
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Cobra723 »

i dont see this happening... but ill keep my out for this 1000hp project....
1991 Nissan 240sx - awaiting 1jz install
1996 Toyota Supra TT - (1 of 27)http://www.cardomain.com/id/cobra723
9sec240

Post by 9sec240 »

My record is 638 whp about 750 crank HP with the S13...

The goal for my S14.5 is 800 whp... about 1000 crank HP...

There are SO MANY supporting mods that you need for that HP level.. Your basically re-engineering your entire car for that power... Everybody knows the basics like turbo large enough, fuel system capable to support the HP, IC that can flow and cool enough, motor internals strong enough to handle the HP etc...... What people dont think about is the other things needed... coolling system capable of keeping the temps down, trans, driveshaft, rear diff, axels etc capable of supporting the HP.. brakes good enough to stop the car... It gets really crazy....
Ivan
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

A chassis that doesn't distort under the application of that power....
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...